1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Red cabbage

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by timerich, Jan 11, 2016.

1. timerich

timerich Family member · Well-Known Member

I'm assuming red cabbage is an ok veg on lchf. Anybody got any good recipes which don't include apples. It would be great to ring the changes, cauliflower or sweetheart cabbage gets a bit repetitive after a while !!!:bored:

2. KimG

KimG Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Try red cabbage with balsamic vinegar, a few cloves and smoked pancetta. It's quite prickly but nice. You can also freeze it when made.

Shred and boil the cabbage with a stock cube for 7 minutes. Strain half the stock cube away. Leave the cabbage in the pot with the remaining stock. Add 3-4 tbs of balsamic vinegar, 3 cloves and a couple of bay leaves. Simmer for a further 10-15 minutes until soft. Fry some pancetta (don't add oil) until crispy brown. Add to the cabbage 3 minutes before the end of cooking. Serve up using a slotted spoon. If it is too sour for you, add a couple of teaspoons of either granulated Splenda or Xylatol.

3. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sounds yummy but just be aware that balsamic vinegar has on average 3g of carbs per tablespoon so be careful with it, to compare half an apple had 8g carb. I manage the apple better than the vinegar but for others it may be the opposite - as always test and see - that said I may try it with balsamic cause like I said it sounds delish!

4. KimG

KimG Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If you use a whole small red cabbage for this, you should get 4-6 portions which spreads the carbs out ;)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Mongolia

Mongolia Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I make creamed cabbage with Savoy but don't see why it wouldn't work with red cabbage. Shred and boil cabbage. Fry sliced onion and diced bacon in some butter. Add some nuts of choice (I use sliced almonds) then the cabbage. Add some double cream. I did add a few dried cranberries when I made it for Christmas dinner. :hungry:

• Like Like x 2
  6. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That would be 3 portions in my house lol

• Like Like x 4
  7. Totto

Totto Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Red cabbage is lovely! I slice it and fry it in butter before putting it in a pot with onions and some more butter. The cabbage may have to be done in batches. I use an apple if I have one at hand but it's optional. Vinegar of choice to taste. A clove or two, allspice, salt and pepper.
    Best with duck. I loooove duck and red cabbage!

• Like Like x 4
  8. dannyw

dannyw Type 1 · BANNED

#8 dannyw, Jan 11, 2016 at 9:11 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2016
  9. timerich

timerich Family member · Well-Known Member

Wow, lots of great ideas, I think I'll try both the creamy and the more acidic(I love anything I can freeze!) I'm thinking cider vinegar might work well.

10. November1115

November1115 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Ooooohhhh love fried red cabbage wt pancetta ... eat with roast duck rubbed wt Chinese five spices.... superb!

11. LinsT

LinsT Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That sounds amazing! I have a cabbage in the fridge - I know what I'm having with my chicken tomorrow!

• Like Like x 2
  12. ladybird64

ladybird64 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I made it into a coleslaw with half a grated carrot and a fair amount of grated celeriac, I just sliced it finely and added some full fat mayo. Also made the obligatory pickled cabbage over the Christmas period, I do love it with cheese (but the crackers are really, really, tempting:oops:)

13. LinsT

I really should buy some celeriac - I see a lot of people talking about it. I'm just slightly scared of it as I've never prepared one in my life lol

14. ladybird64

I've got to be honest Lin, I'm not crazy about it, but then I'm not a lover of celery either! It has a slightly celery like taste, and can be prepared in the same way as you would prepare a swede (or turnip for those north of the border:p). Chop off all that knobbly stuff at the base with a good sharp knife, same as above. It can be boiled, turned into celeriac chips (a crime against chiphood:yuck:) but I think the nicest way is to turn it into mash. Cook as spuds but for less time obviously, make sure it's nice and soft but not mushy, grab and wield your spud masher then add some cream and salt/black pepper.

Rather nice:)

• Like Like x 2
  15. LinsT

Thanks @ladybird64 - I love celery - go thro loads of the stuff. For some reason I always thought celeriac was aniseedy - not a problem for me but the other half hates anissed. Will buy some next time I shop and be a big brave girl!

16. Serena51

Serena51 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It is absolutely gorgeous roasted with some onions. I would never go back to spuds!

17. Larissima

Larissima Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My simple version is sauteed in butter with lardons (or just chopped streaky bacon) and lots of salt and coarse ground black pepper.

Sliced into "steaks" and baked with lots of olive oil and garlic (plus s&p, obv.) is another favourite.

18. ladybird64

I must have done it wrong. I tried roasting, they didn't crisp up and it was like eating large lumps of soggy celery - Ew!! Will have to give it another go.

19. Kyi

Kyi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Red Cabbage - layer it with beef mince and tomato sauce. Delicious.
    Celeriac - Made Celeriac and parsnip soup yesterday

20. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

I use Delia Smith's spiced red cabbage with cider vinegar, onion, cooking apple and various spices. Slow cooked.

The apple carbs are insignificant in the whole (I only use one to a whole large head of cabbage), and it is lovely hot or cold as a salad.

Delish.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook