Red spot on toe, bit concerned

Maggie75

Hi everyone,

I'm a type 2 diabetic, diagnosed in November last year, a couple of days ago I noticed I have a red looking spot on my middle toe of right foot, it's not really painful but obviously with the diabetes I'm a bit concerned. Like mostly everyone I'm not going out so mostly have only been wearing slippers, the only exception was trying on a new pair of trainers I'd ordered online, don't know if they could maybe have done this? I'm due to have another HBA1C soon to check blood glucose levels but don't know how long it will take to see diabetes nurse for this, would it be an idea to phone and ask to speak to her? I've not had any foot checks to date as not long diagnosed and the covid situation of course. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Maggie

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not personal experience - but I'd advise taking a photo now, and another tomorrow morning, to compare, then contacting your surgery and seeing if you can get someone to take a look at the progression (if any) and advise if you sent an email with the photos.
I am assuming that you are able to do that as so many can these days.
Keeping your feet warm and covered would be a good idea in the mean time and make a conscious effort to sit for short periods between walking around a bit, just to keep the blood on the move.
Of course if it starts to get hot, throb or look different then maybe call 111 for advice.
Hope it get better soon.

OB87

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, I have very similar at the moment, also on my middle toe on my right foot. I was diagnosed 4 months and panic about anything related to diabetes so I got it checked out. The nurse said it could be a chillblain or covid toe ( I had never heard of that until she said ) but she just said to keep an eye on it and if the skin cracks then to get back in touch with her. Hope it settles soon.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As others have said, contact the doctor. Mine does econsult for photos and they do see people occasionally at the moment

Put it this way, we are not doctors, we cannot diagnose but from first hand knowledge (my dad) feet issues are nothing to be ignored

it was drilled into me from the doctor and nurse that feet issues and diabetics need checking ASAP

Maggie75

Thanks everyone for the replies and advice, I'll contact my GP surgery tomorrow, they're usually very good at getting the diabetes nurse to call back and hopefully she can see me in person or I can send a photo. I'm certainly going to get it checked, seems like feet problems are nothing to mess about with.

Maggie

Reactions: OB87