Red Wine

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
I am considering adding a glass of red wine to my diet,I keep seeing positive references to it possibly lowering BG levels.

My question is more of a request for recommendations, I am not a big drinker, especially of wine, when I have indulged in the past, I enjoyed white, rose or an Asti (slightly fizzy) wine. Red wine has always been too heavy and strong, if that makes sense?
I do remember many years ago having a glass of red wine at a friends, this was amazing, almost like drinking Ribena, I would love to find something like that, does anyone know of something similar?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@jayney27 I'm not sure red wine actually does help lower bg levels, but it's a good excuse to have a glass of red wine which is probably lower in sugars than white wine.
I use to like the Australian reds, but they are usually quite heavy, and now I prefer a lighter red. The French, Italian and Californian reds are lighter in taste. I usually go for for a Californian 'Gallo Family' Merlot. But it's a matter of individual taste.
You can buy small 17.5 ml bottles of wine (about 2 glasses) in most supermarkets. It might be trying different wines to see which you prefer.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
I am considering adding a glass of red wine to my diet,I keep seeing positive references to it possibly lowering BG levels.

My question is more of a request for recommendations, I am not a big drinker, especially of wine, when I have indulged in the past, I enjoyed white, rose or an Asti (slightly fizzy) wine. Red wine has always been too heavy and strong, if that makes sense?
I do remember many years ago having a glass of red wine at a friends, this was amazing, almost like drinking Ribena, I would love to find something like that, does anyone know of something similar?

We enjoy the odd glass of vino tinto in this hacienda. Our partcular favourite is an Argentinian Malbec. Other countries do Malbec, but we favour the Argentinians.

We have a case of this on the go at the moment, for day-to day: http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/sain.../Finca_las_Moras_Art_Series_Malbec_750ml.html

If you don't mind a blend, these are lovely (although the Dark Red Blend is a bit heavier/richer): http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/Shopping/FindProducts.aspx?Query=apothic

If you like something lighter, then you could do a lot worse than try a Merlot.

To be honest, wine is a bit like tea/coffee or whatever, and all about personal taste, but experimenting can be fun - especially if you have someone else tasting with you. If you find something to be vile, there's less to be drunk. If all else fails, it will add some depth to a casserole. :)

Reactions: Prem51

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@jayney27 I'm not sure red wine actually does help lower bg levels, but it's a good excuse to have a glass of red wine which is probably lower in sugars than white wine.
I use to like the Australian reds, but they are usually quite heavy, and now I prefer a lighter red. The French, Italian and Californian reds are lighter in taste. I usually go for for a Californian 'Gallo Family' Merlot. But it's a matter of individual taste.
You can buy small 17.5 ml bottles of wine (about 2 glasses) in most supermarkets. It might be trying different wines to see which you prefer.
Thank you for taking the tie to reply and for your suggestions

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We enjoy the odd glass of vino tinto in this hacienda. Our partcular favourite is an Argentinian Malbec. Other countries do Malbec, but we favour the Argentinians.

We have a case of this on the go at the moment, for day-to day: http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/sain.../Finca_las_Moras_Art_Series_Malbec_750ml.html

If you don't mind a blend, these are lovely (although the Dark Red Blend is a bit heavier/richer): http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/Shopping/FindProducts.aspx?Query=apothic

If you like something lighter, then you could do a lot worse than try a Merlot.

To be honest, wine is a bit like tea/coffee or whatever, and all about personal taste, but experimenting can be fun - especially if you have someone else tasting with you. If you find something to be vile, there's less to be drunk. If all else fails, it will add some depth to a casserole. :)
Thank you for the links and taking the time to reply

D

Deleted Account

Generally you will find younger wines are lighter ... whatever the grape and wherever they are from.
If you want to look at grape types, Pinot Noir and Syrah (sometimes called Shiraz) are lighter whereas Cabernet Sauvignon and Malbec are usually heavier (they are the traditional wines to have with a lump of steak).
As for which country to buy from, you will get heavy and light wines from most countries. What you will find is that New World wines (Australia, California, New Zealand) are more consistent. This is usually because they use more technology to ensure they taste the same every year regardless of weather. Whereas, countries like France, Spain and Italy will use more traditional methods to produce their wine so a 2016 may taste different to a 2017 from the same vineyard.
Quite a few supermarkets are doing small bottles which are two small or one large glass full. These work out more expensive than a full sized bottle if you drink it all but if you don't like it, you are throwing away less. So they might be useful for a "tasting session"

I might not know much about the affect red wine has on BG (unless you drink a lot) but having been on a wine and spirits appreciation course (when I was working too long hours so this was an excuse to have to leave on time one night a week), I am practiced in wine drinking. I even had an exam which I did quite well in so I am now known as a "Grade A Pisshead"

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Liver can deal with sugar it can deal with alcohol but not both at once alcohol gets priority and is dealt with first so blood sugars may drop for a while till the liver has metabolized the alcohol but then will return to normal service so it is a short lived lowering of blood sugars at best.

But red wine is enjoyable so no harm in the odd glass I think.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Generally you will find younger wines are lighter ... whatever the grape and wherever they are from.
If you want to look at grape types, Pinot Noir and Syrah (sometimes called Shiraz) are lighter whereas Cabernet Sauvignon and Malbec are usually heavier (they are the traditional wines to have with a lump of steak).
As for which country to buy from, you will get heavy and light wines from most countries. What you will find is that New World wines (Australia, California, New Zealand) are more consistent. This is usually because they use more technology to ensure they taste the same every year regardless of weather. Whereas, countries like France, Spain and Italy will use more traditional methods to produce their wine so a 2016 may taste different to a 2017 from the same vineyard.
Quite a few supermarkets are doing small bottles which are two small or one large glass full. These work out more expensive than a full sized bottle if you drink it all but if you don't like it, you are throwing away less. So they might be useful for a "tasting session"

I might not know much about the affect red wine has on BG (unless you drink a lot) but having been on a wine and spirits appreciation course (when I was working too long hours so this was an excuse to have to leave on time one night a week), I am practiced in wine drinking. I even had an exam which I did quite well in so I am now known as a "Grade A Pisshead"
Thank you for replying, there is a lot to consider.As in earlier replies I think I will try some of the smaller bottles first, as you say if I don't like it I won't be wasting too much.
Don't think I will ever graduate to your Grade A status but it might be enjoyable to experiment for a couple of weeks.

Reactions: Kim Possible

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find most Chilean reds are easily drinkable - and my BG level seems to tolerate red pretty well luckily!

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Liver can deal with sugar it can deal with alcohol but not both at once alcohol gets priority and is dealt with first so blood sugars may drop for a while till the liver has metabolized the alcohol but then will return to normal service so it is a short lived lowering of blood sugars at best.

But red wine is enjoyable so no harm in the odd glass I think.
Thank you for taking the time to reply, as you say no harm in trying a glass or two to see what happens.

Andy Foster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
(I had a link but am not allowed to post it yet. Go to a site called drinkfox.com and in the Information section is a page listing Red Wines and which have more sugar etc)
Dry reds have less sugar in them. I love a merlot myself; I find that the cheaper ones can be just as good as the more expensive ones but that if you find one you like, you can almost guarantee the supermarket won't sell it for more than two months and you end up trying to find one just as good and getting frustrated. Asda do one for £3.19 at the moment which is decent enough for the price!

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Keen on a glass of red myself. Always favoured French Bordeaux or a bit of fizz. Fizz out for the moment. I bought a case of an Hardys Bankside the other day. Light and quite drinkable, a shiraz, not expensive at all - 2botts for a tenner at local Morrison’s.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love a glass or two of red, a gin and tonic or a prosecco ( not all at once) I’ve watched the Libre carefully and cannot notice any effects on me personally. Beer, well that’s another matter and I avoid unfortunately. With all the other things I deprive myself of. Red wine would not be one of them.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Hi Jayney
Hi,

Hi Jayney I have always preferred red wine. I like the lighter styles of Pinot Noir or Merlot. You might have to try a few before you find what you like. Pinot Noir from Marlborough New Zealand is particularly good but can be pricey. I look out for it on offers. Chilean merlots are also good. You need to experiment but I do think reds are generally a good choice.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jayney

Hi Jayney I have always preferred red wine. I like the lighter styles of Pinot Noir or Merlot. You might have to try a few before you find what you like. Pinot Noir from Marlborough New Zealand is particularly good but can be pricey. I look out for it on offers. Chilean merlots are also good. You need to experiment but I do think reds are generally a good choice.
Thank you, I appreciate your taking the time to reply and for the info, as you say I might need to try a few before I find one I like :)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
One thing I found from drinking red wine on holiday is that you can drink it chilled. Which is good in this hot weather.

Reactions: jayney27

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Hi,

I have a glass of red wine with the evening meal for the anti-oxidants. Then the rest of the bottle because I like it.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've yet to find a red wine I don't like.................:rolleyes:

If you're after a black current ribena like wine then grape wise look for Tempranillo, Melbec, Cabernet Sauvignon, or Syrah (shiraz) - listed in order of full bodiedness! although all are deemed full-bodied the tampranillo is usually nearer the medium bodied end of the spectrum.

Enjoy!

Reactions: becca59

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Important note though, check the alcohol percentage and try to drink wines above 13%. Reds are better than whites for sugar, but a dry white above 12 or 13% should be good. A light riesling or moscato of 9 or 11% could raise your blood sugar.

brianmt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I read somewhere that Prosecco is actually better than red wine . If you want lighter wines stick to Italian like Valpolicello or even Chianti. I think the red fizzy wine you were talking about is red Lambrusco . One of the few red wines that is better from thr fridge.
The main thing is get a bottle and test after a couple of glasses, could be a fun experience.
I find wine very beneficial, a great way to relax and luckily, doesn't affect my BG at all