Reduced Insulin On Pump

njd1980

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone, I am new here and have been diabetic for 23 years and finally got a pump yesterday. I am after a bit of advice, did any body elses' insulin intake drop dramatically after starting on the pump? They set me up on 20% lower basel with two more lower profiles. I have already had to drop to the lowest profile and have now had to use a temp basel rate of 50% to prevent going low. Going back to see DSN on Friday. Has any one else had experience of this? My Carb ratios have also dropped from 1.5:1 to 1:1.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @njd1980, it's fairly common for your requirements to change when you move to a pump. My basal requirement dropped by around 10% overall, as I was able to adjust up for Dawn Phenomenon and down earlier in the night.

I assume your carb ratios are showin in CPs there?

Reactions: njd1980

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @njd1980

I believe that's very common. my insuoin needs reduced by between 25-30% when I started on a pump. My pump,trainer set my rates to reflect this and said such a reduction was extremely common :)

Edited to add that my sugars took two or three days to settle which my DSN said was due to a small amount of residual basal injection clearing my system, so if you've only had the pump a day, possibly that could be a factor?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi and welcome to the forum @njd1980 :)

Carb ratio's have stayed much the same but using less basal than I was on MDI, probably around 4-5u.

Keep checking your bg levels and hopefully in a week or two you'll have your basal rates nailed, do keep us informed on your progress.

njd1980

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, thanks for the replys everyone, I have spoken to the diabetic nurse who says that she thinks that my body wasn't absorbing the pen injections which would make sense as I seemed to be on huge amounts compared to other people I know. I have dropped right down to about 50% of my normal basel and things have levelled off. and hopefully will continue this way but will see. Yeah sorry they are cp's have only just got used to these and now have to go back to carbs :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Which pump are you using @njd1980 ?

If you've not purchased the book already be sure to buy a copy of Pumping Insulin by John Walsh & Ruth Roberts, it's often referred to as the pumpers bible and once you read it you will see why.

njd1980

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Which pump are you using @njd1980 ?

If you've not purchased the book already be sure to buy a copy of Pumping Insulin by John Walsh & Ruth Roberts, it's often referred to as the pumpers bible and once you read it you will see why.

I am using the accucheck insight, it was the only one the trust offered but to be honest after researching it was the one I wanted anyway so that was lucky. I will get on amazon and have a look for that book to be honest it feels like being diagnosed all over again. :)

Reactions: noblehead

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
Yes same here, I've been using Pump Therapy fo 10 weeks now and my basal has dropped to just under 50% to what it was when i was on injections. Having said that when my pump was,set up the basal was nearly doubled! I cannot think why and as you can imagine i had a few problems to begin with.
My Insulin to Carb ratios have also dropped considerably.

I would also like to recommend a book and in my opinion i think its more understandable than the one already mentioned but both books will work well together. it's called Think like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner.

Regards
Martin

njd1980

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes same here, I've been using Pump Therapy fo 10 weeks now and my basal has dropped to just under 50% to what it was when i was on injections. Having said that when my pump was,set up the basal was nearly doubled! I cannot think why and as you can imagine i had a few problems to begin with.
My Insulin to Carb ratios have also dropped considerably.

I would also like to recommend a book and in my opinion i think its more understandable than the one already mentioned but both books will work well together. it's called Think like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner.

Regards
Martin
Thanks for that, ill have a look into that book as well

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
yes I have recently bought the pumping Insulin book. Though on MDI at the moment. Good book and a lot to digest.

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
yes I have recently bought the pumping Insulin book. Though on MDI at the moment. Good book and a lot to digest.
The one i mentioned "Think like a pancreas" is for those using insulin whether via injection or pump.

Martin

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
yes thanks for that, but at the moment this one is a lot to take in. I do not have a pump at the moment but is now quite likely

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
yes thanks for that, but at the moment this one is a lot to take in. I do not have a pump at the moment but is now quite likely

I read the book Pumping insulin before starting on a pump and admittedly some of it didn't make sense, however once you start pumping insulin it all falls into place and you remember the parts of the book that you previously couldn't understand :)

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I read the book Pumping insulin before starting on a pump and admittedly some of it didn't make sense, however once you start pumping insulin it all falls into place and you remember the parts of the book that you previously couldn't understand :)
A lot to take in. I have been told some good news but will have to wait and see at the moment.

Reactions: noblehead