Reducing My Metformin Dose

mud_shark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello,

I have been on 2000mg Metformin daily since I was diagnosed around 3 years ago.

My BSL are now consistently in the 6s and 7s.

I realise this is a doctor's call, but is it time to broach the discussion around lowering my dose?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As you say it is really a discussion you need to have with your Dr. However can I ask what your HbA1c is, as the ideal scenario is to maintain a non diabetic HbA1c to avoid complications. I started on 3 x 500mg of Met on diagnosis in May ‘17, I have maintained non diabetic HbA1cs since last Sept and have only just reduced down to 2 x 500mg/day. I personally wanted to be sure that my HbA1c was stable before rocking the boat.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You do need to keep your doctor in the loop, and you should be self monitoring. Dropping from the full dosege to zero is not something I would do, but I have reduced mine by 50% over a month or so. The gain in bgl levels will be around 0.5 mmol/l for each 500 mg tab you remove, at least thats what I saw, Metformin is actually not that good at reducing blood sugar levels, but does help to stabilize those levels. I find now my swings after eating are wider than they used to be on full dose, but my average over the day has gently increased. Any increase should be easily removable by using a tighter diet regime

There are documented studies that metformin helps to prevent cardio vascular damage, so is helpful in the background by reducing risk of CVE. It also acts to reduce insulin resistance in the muscles. The third way it works is by forming a sponge mass in the intestines that reduces the uptake of glucose, thus filtering it out with the normal waste products as a white glob in the stool. Small effects, but it helps. That is why I am keeping my dose at 50% as an insurance policy.

mud_shark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As you say it is really a discussion you need to have with your Dr. However can I ask what your HbA1c is, as the ideal scenario is to maintain a non diabetic HbA1c to avoid complications. I started on 3 x 500mg of Met on diagnosis in May ‘17, I have maintained non diabetic HbA1cs since last Sept and have only just reduced down to 2 x 500mg/day. I personally wanted to be sure that my HbA1c was stable before rocking the boat.

I'm overdue for a HbA1c check. I was at 6.1 about 18 months ago, but I know that my levels have been higher than that in the interim. Am now back on track. It's a good reminder to get another check so I've got the extra data point... as well as the chance to chat to Doc about it.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm overdue for a HbA1c check. I was at 6.1 about 18 months ago, but I know that my levels have been higher than that in the interim. Am now back on track. It's a good reminder to get another check so I've got the extra data point... as well as the chance to chat to Doc about it.
I would definitely get an up to date HbA1c before you make a decision. Are you up to date with your other check ups? Your eye and foot check ups?