1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Reduction in Sugar Content

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by PapaOrca, Apr 11, 2018.

1. PapaOrca

PapaOrca Type 1 · Newbie

Whilst everybody celebrates the reduction of sugar in fizzy drinks, has anybody spared a thought for the people who are suffering from hypo’s and lack hypo awareness and use sweet drinks like cola for the easily taken sugar rush they need ?

• Like Like x 1
  2. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Well on here they have and I believe there was a petition started about it. To no avail.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

I don't believe Coca Cola and Pepsi changed their recipe although the price has increased due to the sugar tax.

And there are other options available to treat hypos such as Dextrose and Glucojuice.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

type 1 and i'd rather pay more for my sugary coke to treat a hypo or one of the many alternatives (jelly babies/pastels) than have the rest of the population be at more risk of type 2/metabolic syndrome.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  5. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

What's wrong with Dextrose tablets which cope with the majority of hypo situations (not the extreme ones)? There are still sugary drinks available for use at home etc.

6. rab5

rab5 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

what a lovely thing to say :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. rmz80

rmz80 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I noticed tins of ordinary Coca Cola had sneaked up 10p at the local store when the sugar tax will be just 8p.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook