Reed Momenta - Healthier You

Yellredder

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone been on one of these courses for pre-Diabetes? Had an invite from my GP. Just wondering if it's worth attending.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm did a bit of googling and this (along with a link to Eatwell) is on their eating well page in the Leeds area
Screenshot 2019-05-02 at 14.03.42.png

So for me it would be a nono..

Yellredder

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I've only been able to uncover what you guys have too. The letter from the GP says it's a 'personalised approach'. So I wondered whether they'd take into consideration my low carb requirements!! Anyway, I've requested a call back and I'll see what other information I can gather from them!!

Thanks!

Reactions: Guzzler

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I've only been able to uncover what you guys have too. The letter from the GP says it's a 'personalised approach'. So I wondered whether they'd take into consideration my low carb requirements!! Anyway, I've requested a call back and I'll see what other information I can gather from them!!

Thanks!

Might be worth going along (providing you have the time) just to see what they say. Sometimes though these "personalised" approaches mean you get the personal opinion of whoever is leading the course rather than one specifically for you..!

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm did a bit of googling and this (along with a link to Eatwell) is on their eating well page in the Leeds area
View attachment 32684

Oh dear - that doesn't look good. That's the advice I was given when I was first diagnosed. It didn't go well and led to diabetic retinopathy and macular oedema and an increasingly numb foot.

All has been reversed with low carb/keto.

Yellredder

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Might be worth going along (providing you have the time) just to see what they say. Sometimes though these "personalised" approaches mean you get the personal opinion of whoever is leading the course rather than one specifically for you..!

True! But at least I know enough now to walk away from **** advice!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
By all means attend - but be prepared to fall of your chair laughing at the ridiculous advice if that extract is anything to go by. It is total nonsense not only for type two diabetics but anyone unable to deal with carbohydrates.

Reactions: Yellredder

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 32684

I wonder how many pre-diabetic people in Leeds will see off the diabetes and return to normal levels? Not very many I expect. It is worse than the Eatwell plate. Quite honestly, I am horrified.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder how many pre-diabetic people in Leeds will see off the diabetes and return to normal levels? Not very many I expect. It is worse than the Eatwell plate. Quite honestly, I am horrified.

Quite honestly, I think you should go. You may be able to actually help some of the others on the course by directing them here. Otherwise ..... they may find themselves here anyway, next year or the year after, with huge HbA1c results.

Reactions: Yellredder

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As far as I can tell, no provider is likely to get a diabetes education course contract without reference to that EatBadly plate though it should be noted that the NICE guidelines do suggest 'personalised' approach which seems to suggest flexibility is entirely possible! They also describe diabetes as 'A disorder of carbohydrate metabolism' so why would you aim for 50% carbs (healthy whole-grains or not)?
I was recently told to remove a reference to 'fat' in my slides for a Diabetes UK presentation I am giving. Won't be wearing the bacon tee shirt there for sure!

Yellredder

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all. Won't be going at all at this rate! Can't get through. Used the ringback facility twice - once they put the phone down on me when I answered!!

Teasel Too

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Yellredder Did you go? What did you think?

I'm starting on Saturday. I'll not let anyone tell me to base my meals on starchy carbs though. I do hope that's not what they do..

Yellredder

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Yellredder Did you go? What did you think?

I'm starting on Saturday. I'll not let anyone tell me to base my meals on starchy carbs though. I do hope that's not what they do..

Hi @Hilda Ogden , I just couldn't get through to them. I left messages and they have called back once but I had no signal. So I've given up! Let me know how you get on though, won't you?

Teasel Too

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sure, @Yellredder went today. The topic was diet today. Basically they said eat less carbs, particularly starches and sugars. Eat more veg. And although she gave a nod to the fact that some advocate a high fat diet she said she would suggest eating less fat, but not choosing low fat products as they ate full of sugar.

Also that there is no one size fits all as everyone's different. So it wasnt as bad as it coulda been though I didnt really learn anything either.

Last edited: