Referral to the pump clinic

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys was hoping for a little advice and the rundown as to the process for getting a pump. Following recommendations from my DNS and Diabetes consultant I have just got home from work and have received a letter from the Diabetes pump consultant advising that I have an out-patient appointment on 17th March in the pump clinic and am wondering what this entails? Is this the 1st appointment of many? Is this an assessment or has a decision been made that I am eligible?? - Just a little confused as the letter states no information other than I have an appointment and my consultant has only stated to me that he feels that a pump would be the preferable option for me. Any advice as to what the process is would be really appreciated as I am so eager to be accepted for a pump and have heard that some people have waited years :=(

Reactions: glavesr

iHs

Might be that a wait of about 10 weeks is needed to give the CCGs time to generate the funding. Some CCGS will only fund so many pumps per year unfortunately. From the first visit, someone usually needs to have tried twice daily basal injections instead of just one and can use carb ratios ok and if not, then a 2nd visit will be needed

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Go armed with all the info you can as to your blood sugars what you have done to rectify them, what your expectations of the pump are and what you hope to achieve with the pump.