Refusing Statins...at least for a while

MaryChristine

"Re payment for prescribing, it certainly is correct in my PCT

If you are a Diabetic, bonus is paid for statins, asprin and blood pressure medication"

Thanks for that, jobean.

It seems that the trend in medicine today is towards "herd health" ie treat everybody the same in the hope that some will benefit, the majority will be unharmed and the rest..........? Assessment of each individual's needs seems to be ignored. Of course that's the difficult bit of a doctor's work.

Statins are believed to have an anti-inflammatory effect and it may be this that offers protection against heart attacks by reducing inflammation on blood vessel linings and thus reducing plaque formation and clots. The reduction in cholesterol level may be a side effect, and not necessarily a beneficial one. Cholesterol is a natural substance needed by the body.

If a person's level is already low, will taking a statin lower it too much?

If a person with diabetes has good blood glucose control, no other health issues, is able to exercise and follow a healthy food plan and has a low cholesterol level, should they take a statin?

Is there other medication that provides the anti-inflammatory effect without lowering cholesterol?

IMO these are some of the issues that doctors should be discussing with individual patients rather than blanket-prescribing the same medication for all. Incidentally how many BG testing strips could be prescribed for the cost of a year's supply of statin?

I am not for or against use of statins. I am for people being treated as individuals, especially those with conditions such as DM2 which affect different people in different ways.

Best wishes
MaryChristine

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Bravo MaryChristine!
There is a widespread assumption that cholesterol is bad for us, therefore the lower your level, the better. There is absolutely no evidence to support this view and in fact pretty clear evidence to support the idea that risk of death from all causes increases as cholesterol levels fall, especially in women.
Only two things are reasonably certain. Statins appear to lower the risk of heart attack in men over 50 who have already suffered a heart attack. And there is a staggering amount of money to be made in prescribing them to everyone, just to be seen to be doing something.

fergus

Knapweed

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been reading some info on cholestorol and statins on the Weston A. Price Foundation.
Very interesting. Everyone should have a wee dip into this.

Try this link for the danger of statins.

http://www.westonaprice.org/moderndiseases/statin.html

Ken

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Had a look. Not that impressed really. Heard it all before. :)

chrissieworne

Hi, I was diagnosed in may '09 and was put on simvastatin a couple of months later. :x I too was really worried bout it but my GP assured me the muscle pains etc are rare side effects and that if at any moment i had these to see hi immediately. 2 months on i have no side effects and my cholesterol has come down nicely.

The "good cholesterol" hasn't improved tho so i need to incorporate more oily fish and nuts in to my diet but generally i am happy with them....except.....i have low tolerance to most anti-biotics and usually have clarithromycin, can't have those now as they clash with simvastatin so not sure what'll happen if i get an infection.... :roll:

I guess we have to make choices and decisions, this diabetes lark is hard going sometimes. :roll:

Chrissie