Regular moderate exercise log

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I will blame Storms Ciara, Dennis and Jorge plus the wettest February on record along with a week away where I was physically very active but not walking much at all, for the drop in walking miles.

Still, all back to normal now.

Much sympathy with the Achilles @Goonergal - mine is still liable to twinges but heat and ice always help. I'm planning on completing a challenge I started in 2016 (but have never got around to finishing off for one reason or another) which will be at least 30 miles. I wasn't on insulin when I did the anti-clockwise version of the route, so need to plan some things a bit more carefully.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dear me. I'm really doing my best to keep going with the walking, observing social distance and all that, but the combination of people who think they are invincible and not respecting other people's space, and almost all toilet stops on my good walking routes being closed, it seems now is the time to give the walking a break and be physically active in other ways. Housework and gardening it is....

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dear me. I'm really doing my best to keep going with the walking, observing social distance and all that, but the combination of people who think they are invincible and not respecting other people's space, and almost all toilet stops on my good walking routes being closed, it seems now is the time to give the walking a break and be physically active in other ways. Housework and gardening it is....

Hi @Japes

I’ve been laid low with a virus/bug for a couple of weeks. Now much better and managed a long (13.7 mile) walk along the Thames and a couple of canals yesterday. Similar story with people - especially runners, who think it’s a good idea to run in groups glued together - not respecting space. A few loo stops closed also, but found enough to see me through. Very early in the morning or post work (which is now from home) will be the tactic now. Live in a very small space with no garden so really need to be able to get out for air. Achilles held up well, though. Was complaining towards the end, but there don’t seem to be any after effects.

Reactions: DJC3

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Goonergal. I think I may well try the early morning option tomorrow as I'm not going to be at work. Today'so just been so bizarre...

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Got out early this morning. Just shy of 10k steps before starting work. Not far but great to be out. Wonderful sunrise too.

0ECCFEE6-2064-4369-A280-0175780E71D3.jpeg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been doing the Joe Wicks PE thing at 9am every morning. A great way to get the day started. It’s meant for children- and most kids would probably find it a doddle, however I find it exhausting!

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you work on offshore vessels?

No, do you? And are you looking for ideas for exercise? Welcome to the forum and this thread.

Though, if Covid-19 puts more of us into lockdown we could all be looking for exercise to do at home! I'm still working my way through the deep-cleaning of my house which is working for me as exercise after the one walk a day I'm allowed.

However, my friends have all informed me that much as I'd like to do one long walk for as far as I can, and they know my capacity for non-stop long-distance walking, they would prefer me to try to restrict myself to 5 miles a day.

Reactions: Goonergal

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So far managing a decent, but by no means long (or fast) walk each day. 16k steps yesterday and 13.7k today. Hampered a bit by sciatica, as well as watching the Achilles. Still, the fresh air is welcome and there have been some good photo opportunities.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The bonus of this cut back in walking is that my feet are grateful! The two particularly troublesome bits (left Achilles, right heel) are currently not troublesome at all even first thing in the morning. However, the rest of me is not at all grateful at the lack of normal for a Japes' hours and distances. But then, I'd rather kick this whole thing into touch and if staying home does it....

Still, the garden beckons this week, as does the upstairs deep clean. I'm trying to pace myself on the housework front as exercise for who knows how long we'll need it.

Reactions: DJC3 and Goonergal

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thought I’d check back in here. Managed a 10 mile walk this morning. Set off a bit after 7am so was home before most people were out and about. Very enjoyable.

Was initially miffed as the authorities closed my nearest river crossing (Greenwich foot tunnel) for the duration of the bank holiday weekend and I’d been planning a walk that required that. However found some woodlands that I never knew existed and also revisited some favourite local spots.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all moderate exercisers!

Minor setback with an interestingly placed recently burst carbuncle which I've been keen to look after and avoid chafing whilst it heals, so the in-house gentle jogging on the spot for several lively songs a couple of times a day (which I bizarrely was getting to enjoy, though it was torture to start with, I've always said running and me don't mix) ground to a halt. Luckily, as the infection has subsided so have the higher than reasonable blood sugars and insane (for me) amounts of insulin. It was lovely to be back to normal on both numbers and amounts first thing this morning.

However, the thought of a world around me suddenly bursting out of lockdown (if last night was anything to go by where I ended up getting headphones to listen to the film I was watching as the outside music was drowning my TV less than a sofa's length away from me) is not pleasant so I'll maybe not start getting back to usual walking amounts today.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Japes

Good to see you back here. Aided by a couple of weeks off work (annual leave rather than furlough), Strava tells me I’ve done 71.3 miles in May. One or two short, untracked walks on top of that. Have found going out early works and have only been once a day (if at all, some days stayed in all day) but walked long distances. Having to avoid canals though - too narrow and crowded, and some sections of the Thames Path have been closed for the same reason, including the nearest river crossing to me each weekend.

Looking forward to being allowed out more than once, but work may interfere with that.

People near me seem to find social distancing an alien concept too, but your situation sounds tough. Hope you can resume your walking soon.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Time I popped back here too. Glad you are back to your mega walks @Goonergal but sorry about the burst carbuncle @Japes that sounds horrendous, glad your numbers are getting back to normal now.
I’m exercising by dog walking - apart from short local ‘comfort breaks’ for him, I’ve hired a secure moorland paddock for an hour a couple of times a week, so we can both walk in the fresh air without risk of bumping into anyone.
I’ve also carried on with the Joe Wicks morning PE class on YouTube and have really noticed the difference in my strength and stamina. I can actually do burpees now and press-ups, neither of which I could go at the start. It’s a great way to kick off the day for me.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you @DJC3 and @Goonergal. It's healing very nicely now which is a great relief. Never had such a thing before, or boils, but I knew what it was pretty quickly once I realised it was there, having seen them on others I've cared for in the past. Hopefully, by the weekend, I'll get back to my usual 3 walks a day to equate to my commuting walking time. Not that I'm commuting at the moment, and not sure I will be even if my workplace re-opens in June. But it's the amount of exercise kind of walking which suits me.

Reactions: DJC3 and Goonergal

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Two consecutive days without leaving the flat, but made up for it today with a very long and enjoyable walk. Will need to do shorter ones in the week, but looking forward to being able to go out more than once a day.

2037BDD5-B57C-4C19-BCF4-85C31D675C24.jpeg

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
a very long and enjoyable walk
wow that's impressive! I've always liked to walk but do not like high intensity anything :) I've got a twitchy plantar fasciitis aggravated by carrying anything! I can do 3miles (very easy terrain) no worries but not sure where i should go from here, any suggestions?