Regular moderate exercise log

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From being right lazy I've started walking the 6 km along the beach and back each day for the last 3 weeks . I found it rather easy and just up my pace each day. Today I bought some wrist weights for my arms, not sure they'll help but I figured whilst swinging my arms walking a little resistance must be good. The walking has had a profound effect on my levels. Although they could be lower( around 6.5), they are much more stable, I'm on low carbs as well as the walking. Hope to turn my walk into a jog as time goes on but the heat here where I live is a constant 32 C. So it is a little sweaty

Welcome and well done for starting walking. On this thread we are trying to encourage each other to keep up some exercise. I have found that exercise is really helping with my control of blood sugar so that is an encouragement to me to keep going.

Okitsme

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, welcome, Okitsme.

I walked for just over an hour today.
Thank you for the welcome and we'll done for the hour walk. I've slaked a little today as I'm away from my home and usual route. Back to my home tomorrow and can't wait to walk along the beach once again with my wrist weights.

Reactions: 2 people

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Many, many stairs today. Hope everyone is well...

Reactions: 4 people

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome @Okitsme from fellow beachwalker :)

10km walk this morning. Tide was super high so no beach this morning & now the winds have started up & don't fancy being sandblasted so aiming for some yoga this afternoon.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had another day yesterday where I hit my steps target without any planning - but this morning had one of my high reading mornings (which is my biggest problem). Aaaaaaaaarrrrrgh!

Okitsme

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had another day yesterday where I hit my steps target without any planning - but this morning had one of my high reading mornings (which is my biggest problem). Aaaaaaaaarrrrrgh!
It's frustrating for sure, our bodies work in mysterious ways especially where Blood sugar levels are concerned. I can fall off the diet wagon for a couple of days and see no increase in levels, the next 2 days being a saint expecting low levels leave me disappointed. I'm sure exercise leading to fitness and weight loss will have a good effect on the average levels over time.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not Type 2 (though my Dad was), but as I understand it, most Type 2s exhibit insulin resistance, and there are only two things that reduce insulin resistance -cardio and resistance training. You are doing a ton of walking now with ease. Instead of increasing the walking (who has the actual time to walk a marathon every day?), maybe your next step is to do a bit of resistance training twice a week. That means something that will build a bit of muscle. One reason that helps is that if you have more muscle, it acts as a 'sink' for blood glucose, and tends to 'snatch' it from your blood as you sleep. That can be a bit dangerous for us T1s (we can hypo in our sleep). But it could help you with FBG.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

@JenniferW Same for me today. But for me I think it is stress related. Little things sometimes stress me out. I also think Ruth has a point and I might try doing something else.

Can anybody suggest sensible resistance training for a beginner, I'm 66 and often get muscle pains with doing everyday chores so I don't want to do any damage. The walking has really brought down my levels.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@JenniferW Same for me today. But for me I think it is stress related. Little things sometimes stress me out. I also think Ruth has a point and I might try doing something else.

Can anybody suggest sensible resistance training for a beginner, I'm 66 and often get muscle pains with doing everyday chores so I don't want to do any damage. The walking has really brought down my levels.
You could try bodyweight exercises to start so no need for equipment. Press ups (try on your knees first not a full one), squats, triceps dips, planks (so many different types to try), leg lifts etc. I think you'll find lots of suggestions on the net.

Reactions: 6 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I believe yoga counts as resistance training, too. So, depending on where you live, you might find a nice beginners class. Or Tai Chi, even.

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Resistance bands (or therabands) are cheap & there are a lot of low impact routines online @Hiitsme . Another benefit is you can start out with the lower resistance bands, concentrate on reps & gradually work your way through to higher resistance. There are quite a few physiotherapists who put rehab workouts up on youtube & that might be a good place to start if pain is an issue.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Lots of small walks between chores today. Trying to avoid Christmas card writing! And half an hour of circuits.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for all your suggestions
@Diakat @RuthW @Safi
I will try some out and see how it goes. Won't be until next week as have a lot on this weekend.
9 miles walking today - at least that has dealt with the stress.

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Stress does very unkind things to my numbers @Hiitsme & of course then I have to try not to stress about the higher numbers.

Did my 30min yoga/strength/resistance routine & 30mins low impact cardio this morning & had a leisurely kayak this afternoon - the weather was just perfect :D

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another day of doing way more than the day's target of steps without even trying to! This is even starting to feel 'normal'.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm the lazy one these days. I walked for about an hour again today.