Regular moderate exercise log

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great thread, I must try to be more consistent with my exercise now, so will try to log it here. I did five mins on the treadmill today (walking, with incline). I should have gone for a walk "around the block" which is about a mile as well, but faffed around and didn't get to it.

I walk a bit at work, I think we must do about a mile throughout the day as we have to move between buildings, with some stairs too. I used to go out for a walk at lunchtime but found the pavements too busy (city centre high school). I get to work very early to miss the traffic, so I could use the gym but I'm too embarrassed at the moment, so might try just doing the staff staircase a couple of times where no one can see me!

I also like doing EA sports step on the wii, but again I'm inconsistent. Maybe logging here will help!

I use the wii for yoga & strength training @jpscloud - the cheeky thing likes to pass comment when I haven't done any for a day or two! Stairs are great for exercise but you're lucky to also have a gym at your disposal or when you're ready :)

Did 30mins yoga/strength this morning & had a goodly kayak this afternoon. Wind was well up so I expect I'll feel it in the morning but the sun was shining & the scenery was spectacular.

Reactions: 4 people

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great thread, I must try to be more consistent with my exercise now, ...

I've got a background of being rubbish at sport at school, doing nothing very active all my adult life, and now, heading for 70 finding myself told to increase my exercise! I decided walking was not just something I could cope with, but something I'd enjoyed at various times in the past. I do a mixture of walking. I do short walks while I do things like shopping (I'm not the only one in this thread who's cut out buses or cars for things like that). And then two or three times a week I do what for me are long walks - where the walk is the point of going out. I'm lucky I live in a town and in an area where I can get on local buses and go for nice walks at a level i can cope with, and they're slowly building up to more demanding walks. I prefer walking on my own (often listening to podcasts) but have you looked for local 'Walking for Health' walks? For me, the big help in all this was getting a fitness monitor. Having this work out my day's targets and giving me gold stars when I hit them is ridiculously pleasing!

Reactions: 7 people

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use the wii for yoga & strength training @jpscloud - the cheeky thing likes to pass comment when I haven't done any for a day or two! Stairs are great for exercise but you're lucky to also have a gym at your disposal or when you're ready :)

Did 30mins yoga/strength this morning & had a goodly kayak this afternoon. Wind was well up so I expect I'll feel it in the morning but the sun was shining & the scenery was spectacular.

Well done on the kayaking - for a moment there I thought you meant wii kayaking, which would have been impressive enough but real kayaking... wow!

Yes the wii is so cheeky! When I gain weight, it always gives me a list to choose from as to what went wrong. I always select "ate too much" and it always says "the most common reason for gaining weight is eating too much..." Well, no sh*t Sherlock!

I do love it though - for a seriously unfit and overweight old bat like me, it literally gave me a way back to walking again. I used to do fiendishly hard step classes about 30 years ago and always loved it, so I started with the easy step routine on the wii, then the wii plus routine. I got EA sports for their step programme too, but I still find the yoga and strength exercises too hard. I think I don't try hard enough with those, though. After a couple of months, I plucked up the courage to go for a proper walk of about a mile, and have been walking since.

The trouble is, I'm just not consistent and will go weeks without doing exercise. I hope the Type 2 diagnosis will help me to sort myself out a bit but I'm in a weight gain phase at the moment and finding it so hard to pull out of it. One thing I do have to thank the wii for is that it does seem to help me moderate my weight gain phases, even if it is annoying!

Reactions: 6 people

Okitsme

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had a great new pal to accompany me on my walk today in the form of my new Samsung smartwatch. Great little motivator in that it encourages me when my pace is good and reminds me to get active if I sit around for an hour.

Managed 10km today in 32C heat (very sweaty) and very happy afterwards to jump in a cold shower.

A couple of months back the only exercise I'd have had was laughing at anyone telling me I'd be walking this distance everyday now.
It was a big shock to be told my blood sugar was high (significantly so) but not to have been told would have led me along a slippery slope to general lethargy and bad dwindling health. It's hard to say the diagnosis was a blessing but with the encouragement on this forum re diet and exercise, my fitness has improved no end as well as losing a few kilos. It's great to hear people notice and mention I've lost weight and look so much better (they never used to say I was a fat lazy so and so, ok maybe they did but I chose not to listen)
Sorry for going on, but I feel a little chuffed with myself today and want to encourage any other couch potatoes like me to get up and get walking

Reactions: 7 people

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got a background of being rubbish at sport at school, doing nothing very active all my adult life, and now, heading for 70 finding myself told to increase my exercise! I decided walking was not just something I could cope with, but something I'd enjoyed at various times in the past. I do a mixture of walking. I do short walks while I do things like shopping (I'm not the only one in this thread who's cut out buses or cars for things like that). And then two or three times a week I do what for me are long walks - where the walk is the point of going out. I'm lucky I live in a town and in an area where I can get on local buses and go for nice walks at a level i can cope with, and they're slowly building up to more demanding walks. I prefer walking on my own (often listening to podcasts) but have you looked for local 'Walking for Health' walks? For me, the big help in all this was getting a fitness monitor. Having this work out my day's targets and giving me gold stars when I hit them is ridiculously pleasing!

I am very similar to you - walking is something that in the past was a great joy but somehow I lost the motivation to do it. I'm recovering that joy a bit now, doing walks of around a mile. My home is in a small town where I can be walking in fields and lovely country lanes within half a mile of my house, so I'm lucky too, but I commute to a city to work, and am always utterly exhausted at the end of the day so any good walking is mostly restricted to holidays and weekends. I think my "round the block" mile is doable when the nights are lighter though, so will try to do that. I like walking alone too, I find my pace is too slow for even the most gentle walking groups.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had a great new pal to accompany me on my walk today in the form of my new Samsung smartwatch. Great little motivator in that it encourages me when my pace is good and reminds me to get active if I sit around for an hour.

Managed 10km today in 32C heat (very sweaty) and very happy afterwards to jump in a cold shower.

A couple of months back the only exercise I'd have had was laughing at anyone telling me I'd be walking this distance everyday now.
It was a big shock to be told my blood sugar was high (significantly so) but not to have been told would have led me along a slippery slope to general lethargy and bad dwindling health. It's hard to say the diagnosis was a blessing but with the encouragement on this forum re diet and exercise, my fitness has improved no end as well as losing a few kilos. It's great to hear people notice and mention I've lost weight and look so much better (they never used to say I was a fat lazy so and so, ok maybe they did but I chose not to listen)
Sorry for going on, but I feel a little chuffed with myself today and want to encourage any other couch potatoes like me to get up and get walking

Now I do like the sound of that smart watch! Well done to you on the fitness and weight loss too.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
11 miles today. Staying in Ayr (Scotland) and although a bit windy it was wonderful walking beside the sea. Wonderful and even a bit of walking on the beach. Travelling tomorrow so unlikely to be that much walking.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
11 miles today. Staying in Ayr (Scotland) and although a bit windy it was wonderful walking beside the sea. Wonderful and even a bit of walking on the beach. Travelling tomorrow so unlikely to be that much walking.
Ayr beach is beautiful. It was the dreaded housework for me today. Will try to have fun exercise tomorrow.

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

11 miles is a cracking effort @Hiitsme :wideyed: I'd need a rest day after that!

Had a bike ride, beach walk & a kayak today - the best weather of summer so far & holidays are about to come to an end :(

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am very similar to you - walking is something that in the past was a great joy but somehow I lost the motivation to do it... I like walking alone too, I find my pace is too slow for even the most gentle walking groups.

Also, who wants to go out for a walk straight after a meal, in the dark, and in an odd bit of free time where you realise you could add on another 1,000 steps?

People assume you're doing it as a p-leisure activity, whereas I tell people it's more like dialysis for diabetics. You have no choice, you just have to spend hours doing it. First time I said it to my sister, I realised it was dramatically a bit over the top, but I could see images of walking 'being good for you' forming in her mind, with no understanding of what the straightforward physical effect on blood sugar levels can be.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Also, who wants to go out for a walk straight after a meal, in the dark, and in an odd bit of free time where you realise you could add on another 1,000 steps?

People assume you're doing it as a p-leisure activity, whereas I tell people it's more like dialysis for diabetics. You have no choice, you just have to spend hours doing it. First time I said it to my sister, I realised it was dramatically a bit over the top, but I could see images of walking 'being good for you' forming in her mind, with no understanding of what the straightforward physical effect on blood sugar levels can be.

That really does make sense. I walked a mile and a half today, and have eaten moderately, with much reduced carbs. Blood glucose is measuring around 5.5 since this morning, down from 8+ all yesterday (overeating junk). My level is actually a tiny bit lower 2 hours after eating my evening meal than it was before.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Fun exercise today - gym and walked to the local shops (twice!). Not do gun - vacuumed the house and built a flat pack storage bench.

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Same as yesterday - bike ride, beach walk & a kayak - more stunning weather :) Must do some dreary old yoga tomorrow. Boo hiss.

Reactions: 2 people

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fun exercise today - ..... vacuumed the house

I normally do as little housework as possible - it strikes me as one of the least good ways to spend a minute of one's life. But because I'm packing up in one flat and decorating etc in the next one, I've spend more time doing cleaning up of one sort or another over the past weeks than I've done for years. I've been amazed at how much walking it's clocked up! Hmm ... do I have to make yet one more major life change?

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did manage my 10,000 steps yesterday (just over 4 miles). Having travelled from Ayr back to daughter in Lancashire we climbed Nicky Nook - local high point. Great views but so much of Lancashire under water.

Reactions: 2 people

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Walked around the village with a friend, lovely chat and health benefits too!