relaxing about blood sugar levels

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,
Well it is now (today) 4 weeks since my diagnosis. I think I hav e come a long way since that day. I read a post on this site in the last couple o days- can't remember exactly where that has helped a lot so I just want to check that it's right and my interpretation is correct.

What I read was something along the lines that everyone's body has a natural blood sugar level even with a LCHF diet. That was reassuring for me because most of my readings are in the 5's though I have had some in the 4's and 6's. When I exercise it was going up sometimes into the 6's so I was panicking and avoiding exercising. But if this is correct then I can just relax and kn ow that at this stage my body might just be in the6's following exercise and that it is okay to eat and n to wait for the levels to drop before eating. It means I can do some exercising before breakfast and not be too concerned. Is this right.

Also if my bloods go to the high 6's with exercise is that a problem. What is the figure I want to keep below to avoid complications? Also will these exercise spikes affect my 3 month reading? the long term one?

Thanks everyone

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
None of those issues & readings are of any concern

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is generally believed that blood sugar above 140mg/dl, so 7.7 mmol for extended periods of time increases the risk of complications. There is no such thing as a number under which you will definitely avoid complications, so that’s generally why most people try for “normal”, which is probably under 7.7 at the peak after a meal per most studies.

If 6 is a problem after exercise I’m skrewed. A good lifting session raises me to that easily.

You’re doing great, but try not to stress to the point you create unrealistic expectations for yourself.

Reactions: Prem51

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi all,
Well it is now (today) 4 weeks since my diagnosis. I think I hav e come a long way since that day. I read a post on this site in the last couple o days- can't remember exactly where that has helped a lot so I just want to check that it's right and my interpretation is correct.

What I read was something along the lines that everyone's body has a natural blood sugar level even with a LCHF diet. That was reassuring for me because most of my readings are in the 5's though I have had some in the 4's and 6's. When I exercise it was going up sometimes into the 6's so I was panicking and avoiding exercising. But if this is correct then I can just relax and kn ow that at this stage my body might just be in the6's following exercise and that it is okay to eat and n to wait for the levels to drop before eating. It means I can do some exercising before breakfast and not be too concerned. Is this right.

Also if my bloods go to the high 6's with exercise is that a problem. What is the figure I want to keep below to avoid complications? Also will these exercise spikes affect my 3 month reading? the long term one?

Thanks everyone

After 4 weeks , I would be amazed if you were getting BG readings between 4.0 and 5.0 !
The general guidelines from the info I got with my meter are to aim for a pre-meal to post meal (2hrs after 1st bite) if an LCHF meal ( but also checking 1hr after if eaten some high GI carbs since they spike BG faster) of less than an increase of 2.0. But also to try to keep the maximum level below 8.0.
However these are just guidelines and everybody is different and can have different reactions - even to the exact same meal!

Exercise can either boost your BG levels as the liver makes more available to you (by 'burning' some of your stored fat), or it can reduce BG as your body does what it is mean to do and uses the glucose as fuel.
But in any case, 6.0 isn't a problem.