Reminder to myself

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is mostly by way of a rant/vent/reminder of what I know.

I've been losing weight since early summer, I've dropped a lot of spare lard. I've done it with low carb and increased exercise, I know this works because I've done it before a fair few years ago (then I fell off the wagon and started 'intuitive eating' and put most of what I'd lost back)

Anyway, I know how to lose weight. I know how it works. I'm pretty confident in my methods. So why am I always surprised that weight doesn't drop in a nice smooth line but in small steps?

When I got on the scales this morning (I weigh every day - if I stop doing that I know I've started eating rubbish or too much generally) I'd dropped by 0.5kg after what I was feeling like was a HUGE stall and I'd never be able to lose weight again. In fact my brain was telling me that I'd gained and would have put on ALL OF THE KILOS I'D LOST!!! when I looked at the numbers.

Stupid brain. Stupid meat sack. Cybernetic bodies would be so much more practical where we could just dial in the numbers, tweak the settings and not have to do this biological, slow and steady, gradual stuff.

Oh yes - looking at my numbers since early summer I've been losing at a nice, steady, sensible rate. Convincing my brain of that, not going so well.

*wanders off muttering darkly about biology*

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I think it stalls while your body catches up - at least that's what I think :hilarious:. Onwards and upwards eh we will defeat both diabetes and the lard :mad:

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it stalls while your body catches up - at least that's what I think :hilarious:. Onwards and upwards eh we will defeat both diabetes and the lard :mad:

Absolutely. I know logically that if I'm eating properly and the scale isn't going up then at some point my body will give up and let go of the stuff it's hoarding.

But blimey is it frustrating in that hoarding period!

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Absolutely. I know logically that if I'm eating properly and the scale isn't going up then at some point my body will give up and let go of the stuff it's hoarding.

But blimey is it frustrating in that hoarding period!
Tell me about it - I can actually feel my ribs now and it frightened me lol Not seen or felt them since I was 13! Not sure there is much to fall off now to be honest! I would still like to get under 10 stone but its not happening :(

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tell me about it - I can actually feel my ribs now and it frightened me lol Not seen or felt them since I was 13! Not sure there is much to fall off now to be honest! I would still like to get under 10 stone but its not happening :(

I have ribs, I have collarbones, I even have some suggestion of vertebrae at the back of my neck.

But I still have plenty of spare meat around my waist. I have always carried the bulk of my extra weight behind my belly button and it's still there now. I have about 6kg to 'normal' BMI and I swear it is all sitting round my belly button like scouts round a campfire!

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have ribs, I have collarbones, I even have some suggestion of vertebrae at the back of my neck.

But I still have plenty of spare meat around my waist. I have always carried the bulk of my extra weight behind my belly button and it's still there now. I have about 6kg to 'normal' BMI and I swear it is all sitting round my belly button like scouts round a campfire!
I still have my "mum" tum but I can now see over it :D without breathing in :hilarious:. My feet have shrunk and I am now a size 4 - 4.5 where before I was a size 6! I carried the bulk of my weight on my thighs and behind which I have been told now I have no behind! Hence I was referred to as "thunder thighs" Hey ho :D

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Copying this over from the Friday weigh in thread, mainly to remind myself that I've done this, and I can do this, and I don't have to follow the standard lose/regain script:

"I am a fan of numbers and the notion of 'my body my science project', I weigh myself every morning (I reckon that's the point of the day where you really can't game the system) and record my weight, BMI and sometimes a bit about how I'm feeling. On Wednesday this week my comment was 'WHAT DO I DO WITH MY LIFE NOW???' as my BMI had dipped below 25.

Today I've weighed in at 76.2kg and BMI of 24.88. I don't think I was very serious a couple of months ago when I was aiming for BMI of <25 by Christmas, but it seems like I've managed it. In May/June this year my BMI was around 37.

I still have more flab around my belly than I'm happy with - and waist measurement is definitely a system that I can game - so I reckon I've another few kg to lose, and especially a couple more inches from my middle. That said the wedding dress I wore 33 years ago is now loose, but the Very Posh Indeed outfit I got last time I lost a lot of weight is still tight at the waist. But blimey, if I can do it on low carb with very little feeling of 'work' or being deprived then it must be possible."

Also because I'm not sure where else to put it. I have an online presence in a couple of other places but so many of the people I know are very anti any kind of weight loss talk or the idea that losing weight deliberately can ever be a good thing that I don't really want to open that particular can of worms.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand. I too found it difficult to believe I had lost weight, easily and without hunger, and I was/am petrified it will all go back on again.
But I have maintained it for over a year now, and with the support on here hope it stays so.
I also get weird comments from people, some based in jealousy and so restrict who I talk to about it.
This forum has proved a godsend in support and understanding.
Who needs the rest of the world?
Continue posting on here please

Reactions: Outlier

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand. I too found it difficult to believe I had lost weight, easily and without hunger, and I was/am petrified it will all go back on again.
But I have maintained it for over a year now, and with the support on here hope it stays so.
I also get weird comments from people, some based in jealousy and so restrict who I talk to about it.
This forum has proved a godsend in support and understanding.
Who needs the rest of the world?
Continue posting on here please

Because of all the stuff over the last couple of years I've not seen any of my friends in RealSpace since early 2020, I have no idea what their reaction will be when we do finally manage to get together again. Supportive I'm sure, but also some poking at how I've done it and telling me I should be doing something different. I hope not, but we shall see.

I am a fairly keen photographer and so photos of me are quite few and far between ... perhaps I should start seeding one or two on social media, just so people still recognise me ...

I am so pleased to read you've maintained for over a year. That's the bit that's worrying me just now. I'm not quite at maintenance levels yet, but I can see it on the not too distant horizon at this point. You're definitely right about this place though, it's good to know that there's a place to retreat to if the madness out there gets too much!