Remission and COVID-19

Beastie_boy82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I am getting really worried because every where I turn, some is going on about COVID-19 and diabetes. I can find the answer for every question. But how does it affect you, if your blood sugars are good. Can anyone give guidance.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are in remission I can't see why we would be any more effected than anyone with "normal" levels.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I saw a piece on my news feed. They were urging doctors to treat the diabetes to avoid hyperglycemia.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are 2 main areas coming to light in the statistics. Firstly if you are obese then a much higher level of complications. We know that can go alongside high BG levels in some type 2s so I think the focus needs to be on keeping BG as close to non diabetic as possible.

For some people that may mean weight loss but high BG weakens the immune system so perhaps the ICU staff need to think insulin even if the patient is tablet / diet controlled. Just my thoughts!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are 2 main areas coming to light in the statistics. Firstly if you are obese then a much higher level of complications. We know that can go alongside high BG levels in some type 2s so I think the focus needs to be on keeping BG as close to non diabetic as possible.

For some people that may mean weight loss but high BG weakens the immune system so perhaps the ICU staff need to think insulin even if the patient is tablet / diet controlled. Just my thoughts!

Where an individual is very overweight, it is possible their breathing can be impacted on a day to day basis, by a number of factors from having a thick neck, to sleep apnoea , or even through mechanical compression of the lungs by other body parts, then blend in a respiratory disorder and it can all add up.

@Beastie_boy82 - I think for everyone living with diabetes, it is important at his time that we are very mindful to keep our numbers under control, and where possible also keep a close eye on our weight.

My levels have been in a decent place for over 6 years now, and much of my lifestyle has become almost second nature, but right now, I am mindful not to be having too many bored trips to the fridge, and to keep my exercise up.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the problem is that we don't have the answers around the virus yet. For myself I think the best thing you can do is to make sugar as much as possible that your levels are controlled. My thoughts are that I should do what I can to minimise the risk of catching the virus- sanitising things, social distancing, not doing unessential shopping trips etc and then do what I can to maximise my chance of surviving- keeping blood sugar levels under control, making sure I have my asthma puffer- haven't needed it since going keto but making sure I have it, getting sufficient sleep etc.

Good luck.

Reactions: Circuspony

Robert_D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates and lack of testing strips being supplied due to NICE rules.
Hi, I am getting really worried because every where I turn, some is going on about COVID-19 and diabetes. I can find the answer for every question. But how does it affect you, if your blood sugars are good. Can anyone give guidance.

Hi Beastie_boy82 Didn't want to hijack your thread but if it If it helps, I have posted on T2 forum my very own personal experience which details how Covid, affected a well controlled T2 (me) that should answer some of your questions on BG spike, ICU and Ventilator during a 2 week stint in ICU (April) and that was despite a well controlled (diet only) regime.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Andy_Warlow

Robert_D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates and lack of testing strips being supplied due to NICE rules.
Last edited:
Reactions: bulkbiker

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much. This is the sort of breakdown I have been hunting for. And yes it is reassuring

those with T2D had significantly increased medical interventions and mortality risk. But among the patients with T2D, those with relatively well-controlled blood glucose regulation (upper limit ≤ 10 mmol/L) fared much better than those with poorly controlled blood glucose (upper limit > 10 mmol/L). These findings provide clinical evidence correlating more proper blood glucose control with improved outcomes in patients with COVID-19.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thank you so much. This is the sort of breakdown I have been hunting for. And yes it is reassuring

those with T2D had significantly increased medical interventions and mortality risk. But among the patients with T2D, those with relatively well-controlled blood glucose regulation (upper limit ≤ 10 mmol/L) fared much better than those with poorly controlled blood glucose (upper limit > 10 mmol/L). These findings provide clinical evidence correlating more proper blood glucose control with improved outcomes in patients with COVID-19.

Exactly its not T2 per se but hyperglycaemia that is the issue.. as many of us had suspected all along..
Unfortunately the "experts" seem to ignore this..

Reactions: Andy_Warlow

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Exactly its not T2 per se but hyperglycaemia that is the issue.. as many of us had suspected all along..
Unfortunately the "experts" seem to ignore this..
I think there was a line in there about continuity of good control which also suggests hyperinsulemia / insulin resistance might be a factor too as another layer deeper....