1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Remission

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Testimonials' started by Alcorn66, Apr 21, 2022.

1. Alcorn66

Alcorn66 · Newbie

Hi I'm not one for posting,. ,But today my doctors have said that from February (21) I have had below normal HbA1c readings. After my check up last month still consistently showing low,, they are now happy to say I'm officially in remission. So! I just thought I'd post it here ,as it might help others who are struggling with T2 . **Remission** can actually happen !. I was overweight 20+ stone and diagnosed with Heart Failure & T2 diabetes within 6 weeks of each other. Bit of a kick in the stomach and a totally a **** year for me to be honest. Anyway my daughter & wife came down on me like a ton of bricks,changed my diet by cutting out process & fried food ,stopped takeaway's & chocolate & drastically cut back on the white bread my absolute favourite food. We also went on plenty walks ,& eventually my weight gradually reduced down to 18 + . But it is definitely an ongoing and a work in progress as I'm hoping to loose another 2 stone. But best of all my last 2 tests show my HbA1c around 35,So I'm officially in remission & off medication complettly . I am now controlling my type2 via life style changes. To be honest It's not easy at all & is still is very hard work. But today, I , feel 100% on top of the world. So please stick at it , Remission does actually happen

Edited by moderator for language

• Winner Winner x 11
    • Like Like x 1
    #1 Alcorn66, Apr 21, 2022 at 12:25 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2022
  2. catinahat

catinahat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Congratulations @Alcorn66
    Excellent first post, and you definitely should post more. Your story is exactly what newly diagnosed people need to hear

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Alcorn66

Alcorn66 · Newbie

Thank you . I thought I'd post this result as it genuinely might help and to say a big thank you . ,As although I don't ever normally talk about things with others . I have over the months been reading the posts & comments on the forum . I just wanted to say they all genuinely inspired me to keep it going.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Outlier

Outlier · Well-Known Member

You have done SO well! Success builds success, and it does all become easier, especially when the results come through.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Very well done, a great success story!
    It might be worth checking with your GP/Nurse that you will still be recalled annually for the yearly checks you are entitled to, eye check, foot checks etc…

Edited for typo

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Alcorn66

Alcorn66 · Newbie

Thank you ,just had my eyes & feet checked within the last month. The letter confirming remission,did also state I will continue to be monitored.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dr Snoddy

Dr Snoddy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It is very refreshing and reassuring to hear such an honest approach to reaching remission. I agree that maintaining a restricted eating pattern is sometimes difficult but the rewards are so much greater than the other possible outcomes! Well done you.

8. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Well done to your wife and daughter too! Support, in whatever form, is often vital

• Agree Agree x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook