Rename Type 1 Diabetes

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Re: Sign the Petition to the Prime Minister

personally i dont htink re-naming type 1 diabetes will do alot.

i'd rather see a petition that demands more awareness of BOTH type 1 and type 2 diabetes to children and adults alike as diabetes is getting more common. then there will be no need to change a name just because its a misunderstood disease.

i dont want to pee anyone off, just my opinion :)

sugar2

I will not go on Facebook..so won't sign the campaign, but I would agree that both conditions need a name change, just becasue they are different. I do completely disagree with those comments quoted from the facebook thing though! I am T1, but I also know that if I was T2, I would have different, but equally valid issues.

My complaint is not against T2s at all..my dad is T2, and he is slim, but had a genetic predisposition for T2, ubut when on airoplanes, or even more infuriating when in hospital, someone reads teh words diabetes and starts treating you a cartain way. I don't mean that they treat you liek a slob, but the meals etc that turn up arr ridiculous.

Here here to the person (I think Kopar??) who said we should help ourselves, and stop teh I can't becasue I am diabetic thing...it infuriates me when I see it on here...and just to clarify, that is teh same for T1s and T2s. We do need to take care of ourselves, and do whatis right to control our medical conditions...but please please don't t;et this stop you doing anything you want! I don't mean eating pizza, but camping, holidaying, working the job you want...

sorry, rant over!

Gazhay

After reviewing this thread (I posted a lot earlier) I am now exasperated.

I am not "blaming" T2s for their condition, yet many seem to be calling those that do ignorant.

The facts are, T1 and T2 are VERY different diseases with sometimes overlapping treatments and complications.

To be clear, Type 1s have insulin production problems, Type 2s have insulin resistance. These are quite separate and their treatment can be quite different.

I think a lot of the vocal T2s are ignorant of this fact. There is no point "pulling together", we are not all the same!

You wouldn't look at EVERY wheelchair user and fund treatment and research into a single path because if you cure one form of 'need for wheelchair' it helps all wheelchair users.

It's the same with Diabetes. A lot of treatments and "cures" affect Type2s only, because they have a different problem.

It would HELP type 2s to be differentiated as each group can lobby for appropriate research and funding.

That's my 2p worth anyway.

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
cugila said:
I sincerely feel that too much time and energies are being consumed by in-fighting. There is much that could and should be done to put so many things right and instead of fighting over names we need to conserve our energies to campaign to improve things for all diabetics.

Terrific post synonym. This is what everybody should have at the forefront of their minds !

Ken
I'll second that.