Rename Type 1 Diabetes

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Could we move this whole thread to the Pointless Argument board?

I think we should call Type 1 diabetes 'Geoff' and Type 2 diabetes 'Sue'. Do you want to sign my petition?

Look, who gives a **** about any of this? It's absolutely futile to get upset about a name of a condition that we have; I'm a Type 1 diabetic. Do you know what that means? It means I'm, er, a Type 1 diabetic and that's it.

Dillinger

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
There always have been bullies - there always will be bullies! :evil:

Most bullies do not need any excuse or reason. :twisted:

neededthat

heres a question for you if it was renamed and someone ask you what xxxxxx was? i bet everyone would say ermmmmm type 1 diabetes.lol :lol:

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Synonym said:
Brilliantly put Patch, thank you. :D

To cap it all there is so much pressure put on us to continue to follow the damaging NHS advice which will make us suffer from all the dire complications that we are warned about. Then, to add insult to injury, those who don’t follow the useless NHS advice are labelled as ‘non-compliant’!

Useless Pretty Boy sounds so very young and inexperienced and if he can speak in such a way of his own mother it is useless to expect anything more. :shock:

One can only assume that he chose his own name to post on here and so since everything he has says on here is prefaced by ‘Useless Pretty Boy’ it all seems to fit so very well. :lol:

In forum speak, Useless Pretty Boy" is a troll.

He is simply posting on this forum to try and stir up trouble.

Don't take the bait......................DON'T FEED THE TROLL!!! :twisted:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think UPB is a troll. i won't say what I think he is... :evil:

Useless Pretty Boy

:wink:

I don't see that having strongly felt, if uncommon views and announcing them without fear (or, if I'm being completely honest, much care for the feelings of others) makes me a 'troll'. If I lived under a bridge, maybe...

Again, though, I find that I'm being told flatly that I'm 'wrong' when no reason has been provided other than what I've said has personally upset a few people. If it's so obvious that I'm wrong, the reason should be fairly simply, no?

As for how I speak about my mother, I don't quite understand what that has to do with anything, but she and I both agree that; 1 - my situation is (much) worse than hers and; 2 - her condition is far more comparable to type 2 diabetes than mine is.

As for throwing away our meds? Hypothetically, six weeks from now, type 1s are all dead in six weeks and the type 2s are whining about having to eat a little less, do a little more exercise and take a few extra measures. I'm not saying it's not an unfortunate situation to be in, but I'd trade my situation with any type 2 diabetic in the world in a hearbeat and without second thought. That says something very strong to me, though I completely understand that most type 2s won't neccessarily understand that.

In a "you vs us" statement; Without meds - you cry, we die.

With a catchy hook like that, can you really argue against it? Of course you can. But for me, the issue can't really go any further. That's just the natural end point of the discussion. The 'Ulitmate' point, almost literally. Haha.

xxxleonadxxx

I've read this thread, which is interesting but ....... this may be a stupid question BUT what about people who are classed as being 'different', as in not type 1 or 2 ?????

I have been diagnosed as having type 1 with severe inslulin resistance and labelled as type 1.5 (which is basically type 1 and 2 together).

Leona.

suffolkboi61

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Marzipan ewwwwwwwwww
I have been diagnosed as having type 1 with severe inslulin resistance and labelled as type 1.5 (which is basically type 1 and 2 together).

At last someone else raise this point which has yet to be answered.

I have asked this question on the facebook page and have yet to receive an answer to it.

witan

The real point is that Diabetes is not a disease at all. As Hana said much earlier it is simply a symptom (sweet urine) and all diabetics have that in commonn, type 1, type 1.5, type 2 or whatever. What we also all have in common is a mal-function of our Insulin metabolism, whether it's making it or using it (and many type 2s make very little so would also die without medication).

A huge ammount of energy and emotion has been poured into this thread and wasted on the trivial pursuit of renaming a particular variant, when if we look at the common ground of the sufferers we have many other more important things to campaign about.

Diabetes was named by the ancient Greeks and has surely been around long enough, and research funded well enough, for diagnosis and treatment to be much more advanced than it is - lets put our energy into that!! (Don't mention the conspiracy theory here - we'll do that in a more enjoyable thread:)

How many Diabetics (Type 1, 1,5 or 2) have ever had an Insulin (C peptide test)? How many have had their GAD antibodies checked? How do they really check for insulin resistance and know when it has been reduced. Too much is gueswork whether you are a Type 1, 1.5, 2 or any of the others. Too often it's 'we'll just let it progress and see what happens'. We have many things to fight for and when causes and treatments are more clearly defined perhaps some 'types' will become their own disease - but let's let knowledge and understanding decide that - not fear, bullying or ignorance.

Luiseach

Dislikes
Spiders and Miley Cyrus
Synonym said:
Useless Pretty Boy sounds so very young and inexperienced and if he can speak in such a way of his own mother it is useless to expect anything more. :shock:

One can only assume that he chose his own name to post on here and so since everything he has says on here is prefaced by ‘Useless Pretty Boy’ it all seems to fit so very well. :lol:

Wow.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
witan said:
The real point is that Diabetes is not a disease at all. As Hana said much earlier it is simply a symptom (sweet urine) and all diabetics have that in commonn, type 1, type 1.5, type 2 or whatever. What we also all have in common is a mal-function of our Insulin metabolism, whether it's making it or using it (and many type 2s make very little so would also die without medication).

A huge ammount of energy and emotion has been poured into this thread and wasted on the trivial pursuit of renaming a particular variant, when if we look at the common ground of the sufferers we have many other more important things to campaign about.

Diabetes was named by the ancient Greeks and has surely been around long enough, and research funded well enough, for diagnosis and treatment to be much more advanced than it is - lets put our energy into that!! (Don't mention the conspiracy theory here - we'll do that in a more enjoyable thread:)

How many Diabetics (Type 1, 1,5 or 2) have ever had an Insulin (C peptide test)? How many have had their GAD antibodies checked? How do they really check for insulin resistance and know when it has been reduced. Too much is gueswork whether you are a Type 1, 1.5, 2 or any of the others. Too often it's 'we'll just let it progress and see what happens'. We have many things to fight for and when causes and treatments are more clearly defined perhaps some 'types' will become their own disease - but let's let knowledge and understanding decide that - not fear, bullying or ignorance.

Great post. I agree completely.

A

Anonymous

There are two things that really annoy me about this, one is that this is causing hatred between the different types of diabetes. The other is that the person who actually started this discussion off, doesn't seem to have diabetes.

No matter what type of diabetes you/we have we are having to face the same uncertain future. We all have a problem with our pancreas that has caused us to get diabetes, yes some of us have to go on injections straight away where as others have diet and tablets first. Do not discount the seriousness of type 2 as they also if they didnt take medication could die within 6 weeks, as could type 1's, yes that does slightly depend on what medication they are taking. However we all face possibly getting some pretty nasty complications, we all face the emotional toll this condition or disease (depends what you want to class it as) takes on us.

I really hate how this debate has caused such prejudice between the different types, and how people are forgetting other types, like gestational, MODY, LADA. The most stupid thing about it, is that even if the names were changed it still wouldn't make a difference to those people who say things when we tell them we are diabetic. They will still have those preconceptions, as they go on the little information they know about diabetes. You will also find many wont really care, as diabetes doesn't affect them, but changing the name will just cause more confusion. Even i'm confused at some name changes that people have suggested on that facebook group, and im diabetic!

We are all still going to get those comments, yes even those who are some how related to a diabetic will, yes it is annoying that they don't understand, but how will they if they arent affected?! I remember when i was a kid and someone asked me if diabetes was contagious! You just have to let them realise that the views they have aren't correct, and correct them.

The person who originally started this off, probably will only look at these comments, and if there are any against having the name changed then that person will ignore those comments and think you are ill-informed etc. At the same time, this person probably wont make a comment over our different views and how this discussion has caused so much prejudice!

We just need to get on with fighting diabetes, fighting any possiblity of complications, and either ignore the ignorant or educate the ignorant with the correct information.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
ZoZo said:
We just need to get on with fighting diabetes, fighting any possiblity of complications, and either ignore the ignorant or educate the ignorant with the correct information.

Great post ZoZo.
I love that last bit. That's the only 'battle' any Diabetic needs to fight, we should all be singing from the same hymn sheet, not bickering over names.

Ken

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
D' ya think that Shakespeare guy may have been onto something :idea:

What's in a name? that which we call Diabetes
By any other name would smell as sweet;

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer T1 or T2

:wink: :wink:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
T2 or not T2,
That is the question
to suffer the slings and arrows
of outrageous stereotype.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hello Zozo I was so pleased to read your very sensible post.

It will not matter one iota what you call the diabetes condition that any of us have because there will always be those who are totally ignorant of what it is.

When I was diagnosed with diabetes as a type 2 it was a dreadful shock and caused great confusion to the whole family because the popular picture of a T2 diabetic just didn’t fit me. None of the family is overweight; all have a very active lifestyle and eat what is generally considered a very healthy diet, drink little in the way of alcohol and none of us smoke so we found it difficult to work out why T2 would result.

Basically what happened to me was that following an illness my pancreas had suddenly stopped working properly and there would appear to be almost as many reasons as there are pancreases for that happening.

In the six months since diagnosis I have learnt a great deal which I would never have known about without embarking on my own ‘diabetes path’.

There is such ignorance in the general population about diabetes and misconceptions that not only all diabetics are the same, but that they caused their own ill health, and this naturally makes life very uncomfortable for everyone. I was stunned to find that amongst (for want of a better description) ‘diabetics’ themselves there is a similar ignorance in a small part of the membership. For example one comment on this thread was about “T2s giving T1s a bad name”. What on earth is that all about for goodness sake if it is not gross generalisation?

Bullying is dreadful but in the context of diabetes could realistically be described as a red herring. As has already been said about bullies they don’t need an excuse and it could be anything at all that triggers bullying.

In fact it is very unlikely that anyone deliberately or knowingly caused themselves ill health. Often diabetes comes as a very unwelcome companion to some other illness or stress or shock in someone’s life and of itself causes great shock and distress.

For many others their condition has become apparent at a very young age before they have even had a chance to live, never mind decide for themselves how they are going to live. In many cases other people have had poor and unhelpful advice which has caused them to suffer unnecessary complications and worsening of their condition.

Some of us don’t fit any particular profile and people are sometimes not even being diagnosed properly. They are not aware of what type of diabetes they have and often things are just allowed to take their course and as a result the patient becomes more ill in the process of allowing a diagnosis to be ‘discovered’.

In many areas of the country T2s are not allowed prescriptions and meters to self-test their blood so that they can control their own condition and avoid the complications that come with uncontrolled diabetes.

I have ‘lurked’ on the T1 threads and discovered the difficulties in handling insulin dependent diabetes with all its bewildering and frightening aspects.

I have much respect for the efforts that so many people have had to make to obtain the knowledge to control their condition whether they are T1 or T2 and great sympathy for parents of children with diabetes; as a mum and grandmother with both a son and a grandson with serious health problems I appreciate the difficulties.

No doubt there are other things I have yet to discover and I expect you will let me know in short order too!

Please forgive the length of this post but I sincerely feel that too much time and energies are being consumed by in-fighting. There is much that could and should be done to put so many things right and instead of fighting over names we need to conserve our energies to campaign to improve things for all diabetics.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I sincerely feel that too much time and energies are being consumed by in-fighting. There is much that could and should be done to put so many things right and instead of fighting over names we need to conserve our energies to campaign to improve things for all diabetics.

Terrific post synonym. This is what everybody should have at the forefront of their minds !

Ken

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
As I've said earlier on this thread:

I personally think this whole thread and indeed the whole type 1 versus type 2 debate, here and elsewhere is a very sad indictment of our society as a whole.

If mankind cannot even get on/agree when disease is a common denominator what chance do we as the human race ever have of stopping war and achieving peace on earth?