renewal of 3 year driving licence

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
the DVLA medical group sent me a letter stating that there wanted me to attend a medical before there renewed my 3 year driving licence.that was due for renewal march 2016. there arranged for me to attend a medical at my GPs surgery, I went had the medical and was asked a question, why do you need a driving licence if you havnt got a car ? I turned around to the GP and said. well at the moment I cant afford a car of my own but I could win the lottery and the first thing ill buy is a car !. he then said well lets hope your succesfull getting your new 3 year licence. about 3 weeks latter I received my renewed 3 year licence. then just over a couple of weeks later. I received a letter from my GP telling me I had to go for a ECG regarding my new driving licence. I checked on-line dvla Swansea rules on driving theres nothing said about any driver . for a car driving licence to have a ECG ? so I didn't attend. a week ago I got a stroppy letter from the GP who do my medical re driving licence renewal. stating that a ECG is requested and if I don't attend the next appointment and if I had an accident I would be responsible and that my car insurance would not pay out ? then it said when you attended your HGV driving licence renewal in march for the DVLA ? it also NASTERLY read you've received 4 letters to date and never attended any . and being your GP I will be informing the dvla medical group . who intern will ban you from driving. honestly what can I say has the power gone to my GPs head.i mean I havnt even got a car .

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
have you got an HGV license?

How is your control and have you any complications?

I personally get a form to fill out, which included my consultants name and hospital, a week or two later, license through the door...

so I suppose the success of that renewal is all done to what the doctors say....

why is your GP wanting all these tests done that's the question......? I just assume my doctors just signs me off without question as he knows the details of my condition...

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
@spaceman if you want your HGV then best make sure you have the ECG. If it's just a normal driving licence with no history of heart problems and you have the driving licence you require then ring the dvla and ask what is going on as they would not have issued a licence unless all medical checks were completed.
Not sure but don't you have to hold a car driving licence before you can drive or have a HGV licence?

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have I missed something. What is so difficult about taking the ECG? Ten minutes with some wires glued to your chest while someone pushes some buttons. All over, war averted, license safe.

EDIT: I wonder how your doctor will feel about it in three years time.

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I personally get a form to fill out, which included my consultants name and hospital, a week or two later, license through the door...

so I suppose the success of that renewal is all done to what the doctors say....

why is your GP wanting all these tests done that's the question......? I just assume my doctors just signs me off without question as he knows the details of my condition...
no I havnt got a HGV licence.and ive never applied for one , I'm a type I diabetic on insulin, ive no heart problems either all I did was fill the forms in for renewal of my DVLA 3 year driving licence . and the dvla contacted my GP for the medical . maybe the GPs found a new way of getting payed well by the dvla Swansea ive no complications ive checked with dvla who told me my GP is at fault , the main reason i was asked to go for that medical was because i myself hadn't seen a doctor for over a 12month period of time.and the medical form the doctor fills in from the dvla medical group states that the medical is to the standards of class 2 HGV. but that doesn't mean that the renewal driving licence allows the driver to drive a HGV vehicle. so it seems the GP as got it wrong . and did you know that the GP who does that 20 minute medical can claim upto £200 from the dvla, while i was having that medical i was given a eye test. i had already 2 days before had a eye test and had the results in writing . i showed the results he said there were way out thinking to myself how the hell can a experienced eye test professional be way out doing a eye test, I'm certain the GPs too old..

Last edited by a moderator:

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@spaceman if you want your HGV then best make sure you have the ECG. If it's just a normal driving licence with no history of heart problems and you have the driving licence you require then ring the dvla and ask what is going on as they would not have issued a licence unless all medical checks were completed.
Not sure but don't you have to hold a car driving licence before you can drive or have a HGV licence?
i never asked for a hgv licence hell I'm 67 years old all i asked for was a renewal 3 year ordinary driving licence

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
. maybe the GPs found a new way of getting payed well by the dvla Swansea.
I was thinking that but didn't say it and now the GP has scratched your back and you are not scratching his. Good luck in three years time.

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have I missed something. What is so difficult about taking the ECG? Ten minutes with some wires glued to your chest while someone pushes some buttons. All over, war averted, license safe.

EDIT: I wonder how your doctor will feel about it in three years time.[/ive since contacted the dvla medical board who told me that the diabetic 3 year renewal of a driving licence does not require ECG or any other medical test,once the panel at Swansea have made the decision to renew a 3year car driving licence.there said that because i myself hadn't seen my doctor for over a 12 month period of time a medical to class 2 Hgv standard was requested from my GP. and that its my GP who is at fault.

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was thinking that but didn't say it and now the GP has scratched your back and you are not scratching his. Good luck in three years time.
i agree in 3 years time ill hand my driving licence back to dvla Swansea and wont be renewing it ill be aged 70

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
/ive since contacted the dvla medical board who told me that the diabetic 3 year renewal of a driving licence does not require ECG or any other medical test,once the panel at Swansea have made the decision to renew a 3year car driving licence.there said that because i myself hadn't seen my doctor for over a 12 month period of time a medical to class 2 Hgv standard was requested from my GP. and that its my GP who is at fault.

I bet he still gets the nuts though.

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i didn't ask for a Hgv licence
ive checked with the DVLA who informed me that on the drivers renewal medical form it states that this medical is to the STANDARDS OF A CLASS 2 HGV licence. that the doctors read it wrong.but naturally that doesn't mean the licence supplied isn't for a HGV and once the licence medical panel issues a licence theres no way further medical tests would be needed. so the doctors read the form wrong.

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

the reason the dvla wanted a medical done is because i hadn't seen my GP in over 12month period of time

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
the reason the dvla wanted a medical done is because i hadn't seen my GP in over 12month period of time

I can go much longer than 12 months and not see my gp, are you under the care of a hospital clinic for your type 1 diabetes care?

If so that should suffice as they check diabetes control, bp, cholesterol etc, I'm just wondering if your Dr maybe picked up on something during your medical and that is why they want you to have a ECG, as @Squire Fulwood says the whole procedure takes less than 10 mins, is painless and will hopefully put your mind at rest and keep your Dr happy too, just do it............if only for a quiet life. Good luck.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
i didn't ask for a Hgv licence
ive checked with the DVLA who informed me that on the drivers renewal medical form it states that this medical is to the STANDARDS OF A CLASS 2 HGV licence. that the doctors read it wrong.but naturally that doesn't mean the licence supplied isn't for a HGV and once the licence medical panel issues a licence theres no way further medical tests would be needed. so the doctors read the form wrong.
Well tell him so then.