Reply from Tesco re no low carb bread..

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Most breads are baked with speed of production in mind. The 'No Time Process' or Chorleywood Process dominates the UK market and special wheats and milling processes produce the flour to which other things are added to practicaly eliminate the time reuired for bread dough to rise. Steam injection and flash toating give the fluffy rise and appearance of a crust.

So called healthy loaves still aim for high speed production and this soft spring texture.

Real bread is either quite solid or takes a long time to rise. Good quality breads might be 3 days in the preparation. A real spelt loaf or rye loaf, that is one where most of the flour is spelt or rye, will be less processed and heavy. They are not springy loaves. Both are relatively low GI.

But, there is much marketing trickery and Waitrose mixed wholegrain only contains 6% wholemeal flour, 53% white flour and 41% of other stuff, see A Wholegrain of Truth.

Reactions: 2 people

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most breads are baked with speed of production in mind. The 'No Time Process' or Chorleywood Process dominates the UK market and special wheats and milling processes produce the flour to which other things are added to practicaly eliminate the time reuired for bread dough to rise. Steam injection and flash toating give the fluffy rise and appearance of a crust.

So called healthy loaves still aim for high speed production and this soft spring texture.

Real bread is either quite solid or takes a long time to rise. Good quality breads might be 3 days in the preparation. A real spelt loaf or rye loaf, that is one where most of the flour is spelt or rye, will be less processed and heavy. They are not springy loaves. Both are relatively low GI.

But, there is much marketing trickery and Waitrose mixed wholegrain only contains 6% wholemeal flour, 53% white flour and 41% of other stuff, see A Wholegrain of Truth.

I mostly make bread rather than buy it (on the rare occasion I actually eat it) so it generally doesn't have stuff added, but it's interesting re rye and spelt... Rye flour tastes so sweet :)

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you make your own, try using spelt or even better, einkorn flour. You can get it from amazon, Dove's Farm flour. These flours have far less gluten (although not carbs I think). It's much easier to make than modern-wheat bread. You don't need a breadmaker, or to knead it, just fold it over on itself for a minute and treat it gently. Spelt only needs one rise. I use 1 lb loaf tins, so it's easy to cut smaller slices, and cut the carbs that way.
I don't eat bread, but make it regularly for others. I have tried it though, it's delicious.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I recommend the book, Bread Matters, for those who wish to bake. Many breads of course are not suitable for diabetics but this book tells you how to make breads using less refined flours and use things like sourdoughs.

Alternatively, f you want to buy, try the Real Bread Finder. Same thing, many breads are not suitable but the bakers usually have a few that are OK. At least, try one and test.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you make your own, try using spelt or even better, einkorn flour.

Or oats, and make Haverbread:

gallery_1643_978_175501.jpg

Reactions: 2 people