Requesting info on Ibuprofen and Gliclazide

Scubamup

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anybody know what happens if you take these two together? I'm on a low dose of gliclazide and I've wrenched something in my back. Would normally have reached for Ibuprofen, but I see its on the 'may have interactions' list. But there's no more info. Anybody know?

Ta

Karl

Scubamup

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Yup. Nothing on the Ibuprofen link, and only a 'may interact with NSAIDs' on the gliclazide one. Same story as everywhere else. Hard for people to make informed decisions with no information.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @Scubamup

I can't remember why, but when I asked my consultant about pain killers, he said that only paracetamol could be used, as all the others raised blood glucose levels, depending on who was taking it.

As you are on glicizide, which is to try and get your blood glucose levels into control, then I would suggest that ibuprofen is best stayed away from. As it may counteract with your meds.

If in doubt, phone your surgery.

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Anybody know what happens if you take these two together? I'm on a low dose of gliclazide and I've wrenched something in my back. Would normally have reached for Ibuprofen, but I see its on the 'may have interactions' list. But there's no more info. Anybody know?

Ta

Karl
I take a very low dose tablet in the morning (not for diabetese) and Ibuprofen interacts with it but I'm fine with Paracetomol. If in doubt keep away from Ibuprofen the interaction made me quite ill

Reactions: 2 people