Requesting Information

Solric

Hi there wanted to ask a question. My husband has type2 diabetes so far he has been able to control his levels. His medications are Glimepiride twice daily and metformin once a day. Of late he started saying he feels hungry most times and even after eating a meal it may not satisfy him and he would crave something sweet to eat. Is this normal?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Solric Has he checked his BG readings when he feels like this ? I associate being hungry when my levels are higher than normal as i'm not processing glucose efficiently.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I've converted that to 7.2mmol/l which sounds fine, has he changed his diet ?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Reading up on his medication - Glimepiride it sounds like this can cause hunger, so this may be a contributing reason.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Maybe get him to eat some cheese to finish the meal? That usually helps kill my sweet cravings.

Runica

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a similar drug, and felt hungry all day. It was difficult to lose weight and stick to three meals a day. I've been off those tablets for 8 days now, and my appetite has regulated itself quite nicely.

Whe I was having the super hungry fits before, I was making a pudding from coconut flour or ground almonds with an egg, some cocoa powder and a spoon of artificial sweetener mixed up and microwaved for one minute. I served it up with double cream and can honestly say I was full to the brim, and it saw to that sweet tooth (which I never had before - always been a cheese and savoury girl).

My nurse last week agreed to a trial of no medication, and said these type of drugs often make you hungry and it is very common to gain weight with them.

Oh, and add some butter to that cake mix if you fancy trying it ;) Good luck and keep experimenting!