Researchers make case for type 2 diabetes reversal

DCUK NewsBot

A team of researchers in the US have made a call for guidelines to appreciate the possibility of type 2 diabetes reversal, in light of recent evidence. For decades, type 2 diabetes was thought of as an incurable, chronic, progressive disease. However, in a new review, a team of scientists led by Dr Sarah Hallberg, Medical Director at Indiana University, have made a case for type 2 diabetes reversal to now be considered. The authors opine that there are now three evidence-based methods for reversing type 2 diabetes: a low carb lifestyle, a low calorie diet and bariatric surgery. Despite the evidence, the authors say, diabetes authorities only seem to discuss these methods in the context of diabetes treatment, rather than reversal: "Both the American Diabetes Association (ADA) and the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD) now recommend a LC eating pattern and support the short-term use of LCD for weight loss. However, only T2D treatment, not reversal, is discussed in their guidelines." The review, published in the journal Nutrients, also notes that the term "reversal" has found its way both into the scientific literature and the mainstream media. Many choose to use the term "remission" over "reversal", since the long-term implications of achieving a normal HbA1c, following a diagnosis of type 2 diabetes, are not currently known. As highlighted in the review, in general, there seems to be a consensus that maintaining an HbA1c of less than 6.5% (48 mmol/mol) without the use of diabetes medications could qualify as remission, or perhaps reversal. It has also been suggested that metformin could still be included, as it has applications outside of blood glucose control. The results of our own Low Carb Program very much align, for the most part, with the thoughts expressed in this review. However, we prefer to use the term "remission" over "reversal" because type 2 diabetes can possibly reoccur if a healthy lifestyle is not maintained in the long term. Indeed, our published results showed that one in four people with type 2 diabetes managed to place it in remission at one year.

Continue reading...

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I assume the LC refers to Low Calorie. Still bigoted as ever!! Mention three options and only promote one !!

M

Member496333

For decades, type 2 diabetes was thought of as an incurable, chronic, progressive disease.

More like it has been marketed that way. I believe the truth has been known pretty much from the start. The progressive, chronic disease poppycock has made a lot of people very rich.

:shifty:

Reactions: Shas3

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
The report being reported on was partly written by Dr Sarah Hallberg from ViRTA Health who advocate a ketogenic way of eating so....
Oh ! so is ADA going to have to back-track and admit that they were wrong after all?

M

Member496333

I don’t think any organisation on the planet is ever going to mention high fat in a positive light. If they do it will likely be promoting seed oils.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
there seems to be a consensus that maintaining an HbA1c of less than 6.5% (48 mmol/mol) without the use of diabetes medications could qualify as remission, or perhaps reversal.

I do think that 48 is too high a number to be used to indicate that, however long it is maintained.

M

Member496333

Adding fat removes the need for willpower as there is no need to go hungry.

It’s actually quite a nuanced subject. In theory, if you have plenty of body fat to feed from then you won’t be hungry anyway. On the other hand, if you’re already very lean then your body may want to hold onto its stored energy and will thus make you hungry. In the end, eating only when you’re hungry is optimal so long as it’s not carbohydrate or a kilo of protein.

What dietary fat definitely does do, though, is make everything taste absolutely smashing. I’m so glad I’m skinny, because I can just eat as much fat as my appetite desires :D

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well i still have alot of weight to lose and if I don't add fat when I low carb then I become hungry. Fat doesn't make you fat. Even when I consume as much fat as I want I still lose weight as long as I low carb with moderate protein. I've eaten only when I am hungry for years yet not managed to lose weight until I added fat. I suspect this is because I am a woman and most theories and science are based on what happens in men.

Reactions: kitedoc and Shas3
M

Member496333

Well i still have alot of weight to lose and if I don't add fat when I low carb then I become hungry. Fat doesn't make you fat. Even when I consume as much fat as I want I still lose weight as long as I low carb with moderate protein. I've eaten only when I am hungry for years yet not managed to lose weight until I added fat. I suspect this is because I am a woman and most theories and science are based on what happens in men.

Sure thing. Everyone is slightly different in all manner of ways that affect how we react. It’s all sliding scales and there’s very few absolutes. But anyway I’m drifting off topic...

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s actually quite a nuanced subject.

Exactly, which is why I always cringe when it is automatically attached to Low Carb. It's a little more complicated than just chowing down on a block of lard :hungover:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Exactly, which is why I always cringe when it is automatically attached to Low Carb. It's a little more complicated than just chowing down on a block of lard :hungover:
Agreed but if you go low carb your calories have to come from somewhere and we know low fat does not work for long term !!
Also increasing protein adds fat anyway, unless one is having processed protein only !!

Reactions: jjraak
M

Member496333

Just to add, being hungry can also be a sign that key micronutrients are missing from the diet and your body is trying to make you eat them back. It’s not necessarily always an energy balance issue.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Doesn't need to be, it just needs to be Low Carb.
Low carb + high fat and moderate protein or some variation of that but fat and protein will be higher on low carb for a maintenance diet. And carbs are not mandatory the other two are !!

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb + high fat and moderate protein or some variation of that but fat and protein will be higher on low carb for a maintenance diet.

............OR Low Carb

I know which is easier to say, and easier to get someone to engage with ;)