kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
............OR Low Carb

I know which is easier to say, and easier to get someone to engage with ;)
Low carb is not a diet per se. It is non-sensical on its own.
Calories have to come from somewhere and the only choices are from carb, protein and fat, full stop !!
Ask any nutritionist with a PhD.

Reactions: jjraak

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sigh :banghead:

How someone can quote you, and then post something that doesn't relate in any way to the text quoted :banghead:

Fine, you must do whatever you think is best, me I get asked all the time by friends and colleagues how I managed to lose 4 stone, or how I managed to get rid of my diabetes so quickly, and from experience I know that if I want to engage them and really enthuse them, mentioning Fat is the last thing to do.

That is all I am saying, and all I have said.

This is hilarious, I am one of the "poster boys" for reversing my T2D in record quick time by following a Keto/LCHF lifestyle and I'm being lectured on the subject as if I don't know the first thing about it :bag:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
........ I get asked all the time by friends and colleagues how I managed to lose 4 stone, or how I managed to get rid of my diabetes so quickly, and from experience I know that if I want to engage them and really enthuse them, mentioning Fat is the last thing to do.

That is a very sensible thing to do in most company, including the doctor's surgery. Otherwise arguments happen.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
.... I get asked all the time by friends and colleagues how I managed to lose 4 stone, or how I managed to get rid of my diabetes so quickly, and from experience I know that if I want to engage them and really enthuse them, mentioning Fat is the last thing to do.
That is a very sensible thing to do in most company, including the doctor's surgery. Otherwise arguments happen.

I’ve Only ever mentioned the low carb bit of my diet at the dr and nurse appts, however I still have a bit of weight to lose so I don’t go overboard on the fats, I just don’t buy low fat products anymore.

SaladDaze

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think either of the terms 'Reverse' and 'Remission' are correct. You only have to eat a doughnut to prove it. 'Control' or 'Manage' on the other hand are accurate terms, it seems to me.

Last edited:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Sigh :banghead:

How someone can quote you, and then post something that doesn't relate in any way to the text quoted :banghead:

Fine, you must do whatever you think is best, me I get asked all the time by friends and colleagues how I managed to lose 4 stone, or how I managed to get rid of my diabetes so quickly, and from experience I know that if I want to engage them and really enthuse them, mentioning Fat is the last thing to do.

That is all I am saying, and all I have said.

This is hilarious, I am one of the "poster boys" for reversing my T2D in record quick time by following a Keto/LCHF lifestyle and I'm being lectured on the subject as if I don't know the first thing about it :bag:
If easier includes lack of full disclosure that is your cross to bear !

M

Member496333

If easier includes lack of full disclosure that is your cross to bear !

Have to say, speaking only for myself, I certainly don’t pull any punches if the subject comes up. Including my doctor when I had to explain my diabetes turnaround. I come straight out and tell people that around 80% of my calories come from fat. I’ll briefly explain when greeted with the obligatory scrunched face, but truthfully most people either glaze over or argue the toss. Their choice.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have to say, speaking only for myself, I certainly don’t pull any punches if the subject comes up. Including my doctor when I had to explain my diabetes turnaround. I come straight out and tell people that around 80% of my calories come from fat. I’ll briefly explain when greeted with the obligatory scrunched face, but truthfully most people either glaze over or argue the toss. Their choice.
I do the same. The first time I said it to my DN she rushed to check my cholesterol figures and was speechless (and she looked disappointed too!) when she saw they had gone down. It's no wonder the authorities aren't telling people that eating fat is healthy if those of us who thrive on it keep the facts to ourselves. If you eat high fat and it works for you why on earth wouldn't you tell anyone who asks?

Last edited:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I think we should remember that fat is energy so it can also keep weight on, I am not talking calories in / calories out, going high fat I think is great for obtaining a "normal-ish" build. Depending on what your goals are, once you are fat adapted you can leverage a higher protein ratio to fat, if lean muscle mass is the objective, it's what I do and works well with resistance training.

I am happy with remission, as in truth the foods which I think cause and contribute to Type 2, should not have been invented in my view - should they actually even be classified as food, they are a chemistry experiment. Doughnut's taste nice but like the rest of 600,000 plus choices can be replaced with not so ultra processed alternatives.

Type 2 for the majority is a construct, had I not been exposed to the fake food, Type 2 would not have happened (in my case), this is clear as removing the fake rubbish has resulted in normalisation, i.e. eating how for example current peoples of the Amazon do, puts Type 2 diabetes where it belongs.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am I alone in this? I don't find that fat when consumed on its own or with moderate protein stays around to build bodily fat. It just goes straight through for the most part if I eat it to excess. It's when I add carbs or excess protein that the problems start.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well whenever I eat more fat I seem to lose more weight, that’s all I know.

Reactions: zand
M

Member496333

Well fat is the least insulinogenic of the three macros, and since de novo lipogenesis requires insulin, fat is certainly the least likely to result in weight gain. If you consumed five thousand calories of it per day, you will likely gain weight, but the pertinent factor is that a properly functioning endocrine system wouldn’t let anyone consistently overeat to that extent unless they were s******* gold bars.

Richard'63

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Seems like the remission/reversal conversation has popped up again. My interpretation (and we all have different ones) is that remission is good sugar levels while they are being managed, i.e. LCHF. Reversal is if you can eat the doughnut mentioned further up-thread and react like somebody who has never been diabetic.
So for me if I stuck to a LCHF diet I would be in remission because I can keep my sugars below 5.9 all day, but if I eat a sandwich I spike and it takes at least three hours to come down. However, I'm not very good at sticking to the LCHF diet and haven't had a HbA1c in over a year, so I can't medically be in remission either.

Richard'63

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Oh, and you've all been mentioning excess protein. How much protein is excess? I eat tons of the stuff.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Am I alone in this? I don't find that fat when consumed on its own or with moderate protein stays around to build bodily fat. It just goes straight through for the most part if I eat it to excess. It's when I add carbs or excess protein that the problems start.

No, you aren't alone. I eat masses of fat and haven't put a pound on since I lost all my weight at the end of 2014. (which is when I increased my fats and further reduced my carbs )

Reactions: zand

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I love Jim Lahey's expression 'diabetes turnaround'.
Gets to docs thinking !!