Resistance

Awiiiiin

Hey guys
Since my diagnosis of T1d I have had high CRP levels with tons of antibiotics it will get low(but not low enough to be in normal range) for a while and then high again these days it has made me a little resistant to insulin and I have had constant high bs for a long period now but I'm loosing it now don't know what to do any suggestions?! And it's my first diaversary today

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM and Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys
Since my diagnosis of T1d I have had high CRP levels with tons of antibiotics it will get low(but not low enough to be in normal range) for a while and then high again these days it has made me a little resistant to insulin and I have had constant high bs for a long period now but I'm loosing it now don't know what to do any suggestions?! And it's my first diaversary today
Having any kind of infection or inflammation will push BG up.
Have you contacted your diabetes team on how to adjust your insulin doses (likely both basal and bolus) to this changed situation?

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
People's insulin needs can vary a lot, which is why diabetic teams should give you sick day rules when you ask. (Well, in an ideal world they'd give them out before you ask but I had to ask my team for them when I had Covid). And if you are not sick but your insulin needs have just gone up then they should also help you adjust them.

Are you testing for ketones?

HIgh blood sugars make me feel horrible. Hopefully you can get them sorted soon. Good luck.

Awiiiiin

Having any kind of infection or inflammation will push BG up.
Have you contacted your diabetes team on how to adjust your insulin doses (likely both basal and bolus) to this changed situation?
The thing is it's been like this for a long time and health care system here they don't care like that for example the last time I went to see my endo ( in here there's no such thing as diabetes team just a doctor is all you have to contact and if they're kind enough to give you something to contact them ) otherwise there has been time I have been to the hospital with 500BG and I'm sure that no. Is an emergency situation and they been like ((at least it's not 700)) I have tried to explain to them that maybe my high CRP is not due to a bacterial infection but they keep prescribing antibiotics to me so now I feel so lost and bad

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If your running high all the time, regardless of the cause, your doses need to be adjusted.
How are you deciding on what insulin doses to take at the moment?

Have you heard of basal testing?

• Agree

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No I haven't
And how are you deciding on your doses at the moment?
Are you adjusting your basal?
Do you take fixed amounts of bolus for ech meal or do you carb count and adjust your doses based on that?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had constant high bs for a long period now but I'm loosing it now don't know what to do any suggestions?! And it's my first diaversary today
Fixed amount of bolus
And correction dose
At only a year in, i's very unlikely that your insulin needs are still the same as when those fixed doses were determined.
In an ideal world, you should have been working closely with your doctor or diabetes nurse to finetune doses and start practising adjusting your doses to what you see when fasting, and to what you see in relation to the carbs eaten at meals.

If I understand correcly, you're getting very little guidance with this.
Best option: Contact your doctor and ask for more guidance.

If this isn't possible because of where you live, you'll have to learn yourself, which is not impossible.

The basics are to get your basal right first, which should keep you more or less level when you don't eat. Do you still use the Dexcom? It can be a great help in finding out how much insulin (both basal and bolus) you need.
What basal are you on?
I think @Jaylee has a very useful link on basal testing, but doing a Google search can be very helpful as well.

As for your bolus, you say you're on fixed doses. So what do you see around different meals, for instance breakfast?
Check your BG before eating, and 2 hours and 4 hours after, how did your numbers change? Does this give you any information on your breakfast dose of insulin in relation to the carbs you had for breakfast?

Here is a link to an online course for T1's, I'm not sure it's available outside the UK but it's worth a try: https://www.bertieonline.org.uk/

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Awiiiiin it sounds to me like your team have you on a (sort of) fixed dose regime, in that you are only varying your doses with correction doses.

Fixed dose regimes work for many, but they depend on you eating the right amount of carbs for each meal, so it's not too bad if you always eat the same thing at the same time of day.

Are you carb counting at all? It might be helpful for you to keep a record of what you are eating. And I agree with the others that getting the right amount of basal (long acting insulin) is vital.

Are you taking ryzodeg 70/30 ? Looks like it already has a bit of bolus combined in it, which is presumably why people are told to tale it with their largest meal of the day.

That is going to make basal calculations a little more complicated, because changing the ryzodeg will also affect the bolus with the meal you take it with. (That's assuming you are on the 70/30 mix)

Awiiiiin

Hi @Awiiiiin it sounds to me like your team have you on a (sort of) fixed dose regime, in that you are only varying your doses with correction doses.

Fixed dose regimes work for many, but they depend on you eating the right amount of carbs for each meal, so it's not too bad if you always eat the same thing at the same time of day.

Are you carb counting at all? It might be helpful for you to keep a record of what you are eating. And I agree with the others that getting the right amount of basal (long acting insulin) is vital.

Are you taking ryzodeg 70/30 ? Looks like it already has a bit of bolus combined in it, which is presumably why people are told to tale it with their largest meal of the day.

That is going to make basal calculations a little more complicated, because changing the ryzodeg will also affect the bolus with the meal you take it with. (That's assuming you are on the 70/30 mix)
Yeah I'm on the ryzodeg (70/30) but I will ask my endo to change that for me since I don't like the results since I have been using it