Resistant Starch and Diabetes My story

tomtom 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are going to use potato starch remember to take it gradually, i'd recommend starting with a teaspoon before each meal.
The reason for this it can give you gas and possibly stomache cramps as your body gets used to it.
It really depends how good your gut microbiota is.
It is also a good idea to have some fibre in your diet as well.

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The joy! Given my metformin gut, I have recently learned not to fart unless very close to a bathroom. So I will do as you advise. Was going to test on my T2 neighbour who has a massive chocolate habit (unlike me) but I am reconsidering this strategy. I should only experiment on self.

tomtom 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's my experience so far although farting quite a bit when I started there was no smell.
So just do quiet ones and no one will know :)
Also the gas goes away through time.

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glorious! I was less worried about the fart and more about the follow through...or as it is called in my household, a Sudan. My beloved drank about 250mls of my homemade lemon squash containing xylitol. Warned as to potential for a Sudan. She’s a farter and let rip only to discover pretty quickly, less a fart more a Sudan. Just fabulous! How I laughed. Been there, done that.

Nexus6

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi my name is Tom and hail from Johnstone, Renfrewshire.

Told her that I had found out online about something called Resitant Starch she had never heard of this and asked what it was and what I was doing.

Tom, do you have any comments on how long before you noticed the Resistant Starch starting to lower things? I only see a couple data points on that graph which is a little vague. Was wondering if after 1 month for example you started to notice anything? i.e. were you doing any glucose measurements at any time?

tomtom 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Nexus6
Tom, do you have any comments on how long before you noticed the Resistant Starch starting to lower things? I only see a couple data points on that graph which is a little vague. Was wondering if after 1 month for example you started to notice anything? i.e. were you doing any glucose measurements at any time?

Never took BG readings when I started doing the diet, I just relied on Hba1c tests every 3 months to show that it was working.

So I really don't know how quickly it works, tho' I suspect it works reasonably fast as in the first 3 months it brought my Hba1c down from 76 to 54.

Nexus6

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
@Nexus6

Never took BG readings when I started doing the diet, I just relied on Hba1c tests every 3 months to show that it was working.

So I really don't know how quickly it works, tho' I suspect it works reasonably fast as in the first 3 months it brought my Hba1c down from 76 to 54.

Thanks. Just trying some experimenting with really green bananas, potato starch, and overnight oatmeal this week....but have noticed some raised blood sugars after ingesting both green banana and overnight oatmeal....I'll keep monitoring as I am very curious. Will start adding potato starch this week.

tomtom 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really green bananas are really high in RS but taste awful.
I generally have semi green.
Don't go too hard at the potato starch as it could give wind and stomach cramp.
Would suggest having a teaspoon before eating and cut back a little if it gives the cramp.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. Just trying some experimenting with really green bananas, potato starch, and overnight oatmeal this week....but have noticed some raised blood sugars after ingesting both green banana and overnight oatmeal....I'll keep monitoring as I am very curious. Will start adding potato starch this week.
Alternatively you could just cut back on all carbs and probably get better results?

tomtom 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Nexus6

What are you putting in your oats?

11:00 am have,
I use Jumbo Oats around 40 grams.
2 Tbsp Chia seeds.
1 heaped Tsp true ceylon cinnamon (not the normal supermarket stuff which is made with Cassia)
Alpro unsweetened coconut and almond milk enough to cover the oats by 1/4 inch.

After about an hour stir it up and then leave overnight.

Just before eating I add a few strawberries and 3 Tsp Fage0 yoghurt.
I take 2 Tbsp of potato starch mixed in water now before I eat this.

2:00 pm I have,
Either Semi Green banana.
or small handfull of nuts either cashew or walnut with 4 cherry plum tomatoes.

5:00 pm I have,
Something like like chilli and basmati rice, Bulgur wheat with veg and chicken, Wholewheat wraps with chicken and salad.
I take 2 Tbsp of potato starch mixed in water now before I eat this.

So thats 4 Tbsp of potato starch a day.

As you can see I am doing intemittent fasting as well ( 6/18 )because I don't eat outside these times.

tomtom 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Soak them overnight and take them cold next day.
Heating them removes the RS.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Resistance starch cooking is a good idea if eating stuff like pasta or potatoes. I also drank apple cider vinegar before consuming foods done this way. It's was a plan ahead thing for me when I have done it. Cook, cool over night reheat and eat or reheat and cool again and then reheat and eat. The more I did this the more it seemed to have less of an effect on BG levels. There is some work that goes into it, but it was effective.
That would explain then when I cheated I had 3 new potatoes, but they were tinned,as I have heard of cooling potatoes and pasta down, well tinned potatoes would be the same yes? I don't want to go down the route of eating potatoes or pasta and grains again as they made me put on weight.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I had a very small portion of reheated pasta the other night, plus meatballs in tomato sauce and I spiked. Tedious. So now I will have to experiment with sautéing cold spuds and measuring. As I am very impatient I find it quite difficult to wait two hours for a test! Such is life. I also had smaller spike with reheated brown rice fried with various veggies. So I fear all carbs may be off my menu.
They say the best potatoes to eat are red ones with skin left on