Resistant Starch and Diabetes My story

tomtom 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi my name is Tom and come from Johnstone, Renfrewshire.

I am 64 years old and was diagnosed with type2 diabetes in 2007.
My medication is 1 metformin twice daily.
My hba1c was up and down in the first few years and was in control after that until 2 years ago when it started going up steadily.

Was at 76 mmol when I was informed I had to see the surgery pharmacist and that they wanted to up my medication.
When I spoke to the pharmacist I said I wasnt keen on upping my medication and we agreed that I could find out a way to control my diabetes better, as long as I had another hba1c test in 3 months and then it would be reviewed.

When I came back my next hba1c was 54 mmol.

The pharmacist said that was a really good result and asked what I had done to acheive this.
Told her that I had found out online about something called Resitant Starch she had never heard of this and asked what it was and what I was doing.

Told her only changes I had made in the 3 months were taking a semi green banana first thing in the morn.
Then I would have overnight oats mid morn.
After that I would eat what I wanted within reason as I wasnt sure if the Resistant Starch would really work although after reading lots of information online about it I was reasonably confident it would. (this is about 10 to 15 grams of resistant starch).
Told her I intended to add a supplemet to my diet, potato starch this is really high in resistant starch and I added 3 tablespoons daily as well as the banana and oats. (about another 30 grams of resistant starch for a total of 40 grams plus)

She was happy with the way thing were going and we agreed to have another test in 3 months and see how i was doing.

When I came back my next hba1c was 45 mmol.

Now she was really interest in this thing called resistant starch and stated that i was now at the pre-diabetes stage. Told her that I had whatever I liked over the xmas and new year period and celebrated like most people eating and drinking to excess.

i was mildly surprised that the reading was as good because of this.

Also asked me how I was feeling to which I replied that I feel like a new man I have more energy than I can remember having since I was diagnosed.
that was last week.

Also since I started doing the resistant starch diet I have lost 3 stone in weight.
Never feel hungry as I eat when I do but dont overeat.

I have been eating out at a steakhouse 3 times , chinese weekly and occassional Indian during this period.

Note:-
Overnight oats I make,
Jumbo oats soaked in unsweetened roasted almond milk. (any milk will do)
1tsp chia seeds.
1tsp cinnamon
3tbsp Fage0 yoghurt. (any probiotic yoghurt will do)

links:-

My charts for last 2 years. (copied and pasted from mydiabetes)

http://allstarsracing.info/Charts/My Charts.htm

Great pdf file for explanation of resistant starch and all the benefits.
https://www.southdenver.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Resistant-Starch-for-web.pdf

Resistant starch food list pdf file.
https://freetheanimal.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Resistant-Starch-in-Foods.pdf

Whew that seemed to take forever, hope I havent bored you guys with it.

Please if anyone is going to try this take it gently form the start especially with potato starch as could give stomach cramps and wind.
I have the wind but have never had the cramps but I never took the potato starch for the first 3 months.

Take care,

Tom

Last edited:

tomtom 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Forgot to add that I put a small handfull of frozen berries in the Overnight oats.

Tom

Reactions: Freema

fizlisa

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for sharing. And for the resources! I’m just beginning to experiment with resistant starches in order to balance my gut flora, hormones, and of course hopefully level out my blood sugar swings a bit. It’s nice to see a first hand report with such good results!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't understand what a resistant starch diet would be like. Do you just eat foods with high resistant starch? Potatoes cooled might have resistant starch but they are still high carb.

tomtom 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
fizlisa thanks for comments and look into Kefir as this help replenish the gut flora. (got mine from Tesco).
Probiotic is the good bacteria for your gut. prebiotic is what feeds them i.e. resistant starch.
Why i use probiotic yoghurt in my overnight oats.

Mr_Pot This is only my take on resistant starch diet and what i have been doing.
I take a semi green banana first thing in the morning the more green it is the more resistant starch although if it is too green doesnt taste nice hence semi green. Totally yellow bananas have little to none resistant starch.
Mid morning I take Overnight oats (lots of recipes out there if you google it).
Around mid day or just after I have home made soup usually with red lentils in it as they are high in resistant starch.
After that I have whatever I like.

Also in the past I've made chilli with basmati rice, frozen it and had it thro the week after reheating. (this raises the resistant starch)
Same with pasta dishes.

As far I know there are 4 types of resistant starch and I'm getting 3 of those.

Indy51 I didn't know about NAFLD and raw potato starch but so far I feel great doing this diet.
Started off by trying to improve gut flora with kefir and not using potato starch for first 3 months so hopefully everything will be OK now that i'm using potato starch.
Go back to nurse in 4 months for yearly blood test which includes hba1c, cholesterol, hdl ,ldl and triglycerides.
Then I will know for sure how well things are going.

Note:- I have tried various diets in the past and gave up on them as they were far to restrictive.

Atkins diet was really good but I got fed up with eating mostly meat and nuts.

Joe Cross diet worked great as well and still have a £150 juicer lol but got fed up with that as well.

The resistant starch diet feels really easy as I can have whatever I like after lunch.

Oh and by the way I usually have a couple of bottles of red wine over the week end.

Tom

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Resistance starch cooking is a good idea if eating stuff like pasta or potatoes. I also drank apple cider vinegar before consuming foods done this way. It's was a plan ahead thing for me when I have done it. Cook, cool over night reheat and eat or reheat and cool again and then reheat and eat. The more I did this the more it seemed to have less of an effect on BG levels. There is some work that goes into it, but it was effective.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very interesting Thanks for sharing all of you , I Think I need to try This cause the High fat isn’t working for me

Reactions: Tophat1900

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@tomtom2

Your HbA1c chart is very impressive. http://allstarsracing.info/Charts/My Charts.htm What I want to ask is did you use whole oats or quick oats or steel cut oats? Or old fashioned "Scotts Porridge Oats"? I do like oats myself but I've been steering clear of them for years in managing my condition. That you've lost 42lbs is exceptionally impressive too.. Well done!!

Last edited:

tomtom 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also try googling resistantstarchresearch.com/

I cant get the link to post someting about spam?

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also try googling resistantstarchresearch.com/

I cant get the link to post someting about spam?

So @tomtom 2 you've lost the 3 stones (aka 42lbs) in the last 2 years since you've gone and incorporated resistance starches into your diet? Is that correct? So no instantaneous weight loss just a steady loss of weight averaging about 2/5ths of a lb per week? Am I getting the facts correct? I just want to fully understand what you've done..

Thanks in advance..

LBB

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
This is useful I think for those who don't obtain success in others ways and are looking for something else. When I looked at this in the past the word "starch" and in particular potato starch put me off. Maybe it behaves a bit like fibre. As a reasonably controlled Type 2 I won't personally try this but am glad for you and will save this in my memory for the future.

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is useful I think for those who don't obtain success in others ways and are looking for something else. When I looked at this in the past the word "starch" and in particular potato starch put me off. Maybe it behaves a bit like fibre. As a reasonably controlled Type 2 I won't personally try this but am glad for you and will save this in my memory for the future.

@Mbaker

I think this is a good link https://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/blog/resistant-starch-dont-resist-its-effects/

tomtom 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Living-by-the-beach

Started the diet august last year, done the chart for the past 2 years just to show how must numbers were creeping up and when I started the diet thet were coming down. Thanks for the link thats another good page puts it simply.

This link below gives a good idea of how much resistant starch to take for what benefits your looking for.

https://resistantstarchresearch.com/posts/3-levels-of-benefits/

@Mbaker

I agree if you have your diabetes under control using whatever method there is no need to change and that resistant starch would be something to try if you cant get control in other ways.

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Living-by-the-beach

Started the diet august last year, done the chart for the past 2 years just to show how must numbers were creeping up and when I started the diet thet were coming down. Thanks for the link thats another good page puts it simply.

This link below gives a good idea of how much resistant starch to take for what benefits your looking for.

https://resistantstarchresearch.com/posts/3-levels-of-benefits/

@Mbaker

I agree if you have your diabetes under control using whatever method there is no need to change and that resistant starch would be something to try if you cant get control in other ways.

@tomtom 2

So you've lost 42 lbs since last August by faithfully adding RS to your diet then? Is that correct?
Thanks for the above link. It helps to make more sense of this whole new area of expertise..

LBB

tomtom 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Living-by-the-beach

Yes thats correct but in order to lose weight you have to eat when you feel hungry not to binge eat.

Over christmas I put on 10 lbs with eating and drinking far too much this came back of in a few weeks after.

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Living-by-the-beach

Yes thats correct but in order to lose weight you have to eat when you feel hungry not to binge eat.

Over christmas I put on 10 lbs with eating and drinking far too much this came back of in a few weeks after.

@tomtom 2

I hear you about the binge eating. I'm the wrong side of two glasses of port just before going to bed. You've gotta live right? Tomorrow I'll celebrate a full year of logging my bike rides on Strava. I'll have cycled 6600 miles in the last 12 months. Looks like oats are really powerful as is "Green banana flour" what ever that is. I'll mix up my diet and find some good additions and lose the weight & (hopefully) get into remission..

Thank you for the heads up..

LBB

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Very interesting Thanks for sharing all of you , I Think I need to try This cause the High fat isn’t working for me
Freema, it looks like it's working on you glucose levels! Well done.

tomtom 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@tomtom 2

I hear you about the binge eating. I'm the wrong side of two glasses of port just before going to bed. You've gotta live right? Tomorrow I'll celebrate a full year of logging my bike rides on Strava. I'll have cycled 6600 miles in the last 12 months. Looks like oats are really powerful as is "Green banana flour" what ever that is. I'll mix up my diet and find some good additions and lose the weight & (hopefully) get into remission..

Thank you for the heads up..

LBB

@Living-by-the-beach

Wow thats great that you get so much exercise on your bike.
Wish I was like that but sadly as I'm a cabbie I dont get very much exercise retire this year so that will hopefully change.
I love port too mate trouble is I like having crackers with cheese or pate with it and usually have the bottle.
Thats what I had after xmas dinner :) But I still had at least 40 grams of RS thro this period probaly the reason my Hba1c came back at 45

Normally now at weekends I'll have 2 or 3 bottles of red wine and some snacks.
I love Cashew nuts and luckily these are high in RS but trouble with them is there high in calories.

Trouble is I've been having this over the past 2 weeks and I've put on a few pounds.
Need to start counting the calories and cut back a little.

Tom