Restricted exercise

allypops

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am desperate to do some exercise as i have done none for ages. The main problem is cardiac issues but i could still exercise but the main problem is osteoarthritis in both knees. I need a double knee transplant. I should of had surgery 5 years ago but op was cancelled due to aneathetist losing her nerve. The knees are do bad and so is blood pressure which is very high 170/100. This is all down to me not moving around. My sugar obviously is elevated at around 13-15. I am desperate and sometimes i am just waiting to check out which is inevitable. I feel so desperate and before you ask my doctor is utterly useless. I urgently need some cardiac exercise but my knees are so bad now. I got a letter from Orthopaedics at Guys telling me my file has been passed to another dept whom they feel could manage me better. In other words just passing the buck. Please please help i am so desperate

Allan Keston

Edited by mod to remove personal contact details.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello and welcome to the forum. Tagging @daisy1 for her great info post offered to all newcomers.

I am a wheelchair user so I cannot exercise. Have you tried Resistance bands? Have you adjusted your diet? Are you on medication for your Diabetes? Sorry for all the questions but these answers will help us to give you the appropriate advice and support
Have a wander around the forum and ask as many questions as you like.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am desperate to do some exercise as i have done none for ages. The main problem is cardiac issues but i could still exercise but the main problem is osteoarthritis in both knees. I need a double knee transplant. I should of had surgery 5 years ago but op was cancelled due to aneathetist losing her nerve. The knees are do bad and so is blood pressure which is very high 170/100. This is all down to me not moving around. My sugar obviously is elevated at around 13-15. I am desperate and sometimes i am just waiting to check out which is inevitable. I feel so desperate and before you ask my doctor is utterly useless. I urgently need some cardiac exercise but my knees are so bad now. I got a letter from Orthopaedics at Guys telling me my file has been passed to another dept whom they feel could manage me better. In other words just passing the buck. Please please help i am so desperate

Allan Keston

Hi Allan (I think I would remove your email address if I was you, we can all message you via this app personally if we want, but this is a public site so everyone will be able to see it).
Firstly would you mind telling us if you are on any medication and what a typical days diet is for you? You will get lots of great advice on here once people know that.
I think that if I were you I would concentrate on my diet before anything else and you might find this helps your other conditions. Lower carb really does seem to be the way forward (but again you have to be careful if you are on certain meds).
My husband has osteoarthritis too (has already had one knee replacement) and the one thing he can do is swim. He also goes on a cycle (indoors).
It might be best to get advice from a physiotherapist as to what exercises you can do but a lot can be done at first, sitting down. Also maybe let us know your motivation for exercise, is it for general health or bringing your glucose levels down?
I will bow out now as there are many type 2s who can assist you with specifics. Welcome. x

Edited to remove personal contact details in quote box.

Last edited by a moderator:

allypops

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes i am on medication. I am also obese because of not being able to move about. I struggle with my diet especially drinks. Not alcohol but juices like Ribena and Apple juice which i know is packed with sugar. Never heard of resistance bands.

I have an exercise bike but i can't use it at present. I have just lost the will to live. Everyday i am just waiting for either a stroke or heart attack. It's exhausting living like this.
Thank you for contacting me.
I am aged 60
Contracted type 2 about 4 years ago

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I fully understand that exercise is good for our general health, but it is not anywhere near as important as diet.

I see from your profile that you take Metformin and Gliclazide but still have high blood sugars. I suggest that this is most likely your dietary choices causing this, and also possibly causing your high blood pressure. With a suitable diet and your medication there should be no reason why you can't reduce your blood sugars and your blood pressure without too much exercise.

Perhaps you could tell us what you typically eat in a day and we may be able to spot something to help.

Do you have your own blood glucose meter?

allypops

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Allan (I think I would remove your email address if I was you, we can all message you via this app personally if we want, but this is a public site so everyone will be able to see it).
Firstly would you mind telling us if you are on any medication and what a typical days diet is for you? You will get lots of great advice on here once people know that.
I think that if I were you I would concentrate on my diet before anything else and you might find this helps your other conditions. Lower carb really does seem to be the way forward (but again you have to be careful if you are on certain meds).
My husband has osteoarthritis too (has already had one knee replacement) and the one thing he can do is swim. He also goes on a cycle (indoors).
It might be best to get advice from a physiotherapist as to what exercises you can do but a lot can be done at first, sitting down. Also maybe let us know your motivation for exercise, is it for general health or bringing your glucose levels down?
I will bow out now as there are many type 2s who can assist you with specifics. Welcome. x
Thank you for your reply.
They took me off Metformin and doubled the dose of gliclazide.
Thanks for the advice about email, how can i remove it?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Your email address has been removed by a moderator, so no need to worry. :)

Reactions: Rachox

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @allypops,
As i am sure you know any aerobic type exercise would require clearance from your cardiologist.
Not sure if this is the doctor you are not happy with.
But as @Guzzler suggests resistance exercises might be worth asking your cardiologist about.
And more aerobically whether swimming preferably in a heated pool is possible? Getting in and out of the pool could be the challenge.
Are you prescribed diabetes medications and a particular diet?
This website here is associated with a low carb diet program for Type 2 diabetics which has changed the life of so many for the good. Weight loss, improvement in blood sugars and even reduction of medication use. It is niw NHS-approved.
Maybe in addition to exercise this dietary program might be something to consider and discuss with whichever doctor you get on best with.
Losing weight and having better bsls might help your knees, heart and blood pressure.
Best Wishes.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have removed your email address for you :)

allypops

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @allypops,
As i am sure you know any aerobic type exercise would require clearance from your cardiologist.
Not sure if this is the doctor you are not happy with.
But as @Guzzler suggests resistance exercises might be worth asking your cardiologist about.
And more aerobically whether swimming preferably in a heated pool is possible? Getting in and out of the pool could be the challenge.
Are you prescribed diabetes medications and a particular diet?
This website here is associated with a low carb diet program for Type 2 diabetics which has changed the life of so many for the good. Weight loss, improvement in blood sugars and even reduction of medication use. It is niw NHS-approved.
Maybe in addition to exercise this dietary program might be something to consider and discuss with whichever doctor you get on best with.
Losing weight and having better bsls might help your knees, heart and blood pressure.
Best Wishes.
Losing weight is the key to the castle however being immobile makes it 10 times harder to shift weight

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have vastly improved my diabetes, BP, weight and my arthritis, by eating a low carb diet and Metformin. When I was first diagnosed Type 2 two years ago I did barely any exercise as I was waiting for operations on both feet, so I achieved all that without any exercise except gentle walking. I have subsequently had both operations done successfully and was looking for some more exercise, I have plumped for swimming, having checked out all the local pools to find the warmest one as I still have arthritis in other joints that don’t like cold pools! I now swim once a week and walk five days out of seven.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Losing weight is the key to the castle however being immobile makes it 10 times harder to shift weight

Exercise is just a small part of losing weight. Seriously, diet really is the key, and it isn't just sugar you have to watch. Sugar is a carbohydrate, and all carbs turn to sugar once in the body, so we must all be very careful how many carbs we eat. This includes foods such as bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, breakfast cereals, anything made with flour, all fruit juices and dried fruits, and most fruits. All these foods will create an insulin response from your pancreas, and a large response at that. The more insulin we have circulating round our bodies the harder it becomes to lose weight. (Insulin is a fat carrying hormone). The fewer carbs you eat, the less insulin is secreted, and the more likely you are to lose weight.

allypops

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for all this wonderful advice. It's just that i feel i have lost the will to live. There are so many obstacles in front of me i think it would be better if i was no longer here. Life is such a struggle. I never used to be like .this. My whole personality seems to have been surgically removed and battling each day is such a chore. I know the eating has now become comfort eating. As i said

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A low carb diet would be perfect for you I reckon. I have maintained it for over two years now, I don’t feel hungry or deprived. How does, strawberries and cream, raspberries in Greek yoghurt, nuts, dark chocolate, pork scratchings, cheese, eggs , bacon all sound? I could go on, so many tasty foods you can have whilst loosing weight and reducing your blood sugars. Start one step at a time, may I suggest you replace your Ribera and apple juice with sugar free squashes or sugar free flavoured sparkling water, while you learn about foods you can eat. Here’s some reading matter about low carb diets:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

allypops

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So inspirational Rachox. I wish i had some inspirational bones inside of me. As i said i have lost the will to carry on and it's difficult to drag myself out of this negativity. These stories bi am reading do actually help i am pleased to report. I need to become a walker again and not a talker. I can talk for England

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So inspirational Rachox. I wish i had some inspirational bones inside of me. As i said i have lost the will to carry on and it's difficult to drag myself out of this negativity. These stories bi am reading do actually help i am pleased to report. I need to become a walker again and not a talker. I can talk for England

As you’ve been on the forum for a little while I don’t know if you’ve come across the success stories on the forum but if not here’s a link:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/
Loads of inspirational stories there x

allypops

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Rachox, i have tried that but i end up back on the cloudy apple juice 3-4 LTRs a day. Each litre has 4oz of sugar in it. I know, deadly. It only feels good whilst consuming then i am thirsty again 30 mins later. Dreadful stuff. So nice while drinking then i feel like a dried prune 30 mins later

M

Member496333

Hi. As others have said, exercise and losing weight is not the answer. Getting your sugars under control through diet is the answer. Weight loss will follow.