1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Results: Relief and Regret

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Jeremy_Wood, Jan 17, 2018.

1. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

and when your little boy grows up, imagine how proud he is going to be of his Dad!!!!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. mountaintom

mountaintom Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Great story well done enjoy your pizza

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

I admire your honesty, willpower and optimism. I hope, in spite of diabetic abuse, that you have luck on your side from now on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. rolypolypudding

rolypolypudding Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I have some idea of how you feel. I was diagnosed as pre type 2 diabetes some years ago and warned to change my lifestyle - but I've been burying my head in the sand and still haven't come to terms with having to make permanent changes to my eating habits.
    It is notoriously difficult to wean ourselves off bad habits and face up to what needs to be done. Yours is a magnificent achievement. Here's wishing you continued good health for the future.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. RAPS_od

RAPS_od Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It's great to learn from the past.
    I went through the same teenage angst and diabetic grief. It took me far too long to realize what I was doing to myself, but I did learn.
    And that's where I stand today. I try very hard not to look back with regret and shame. It doesn't serve me; it's depressing. I have to look forward remembering the past and accepting it. I'll do better; I'm doing the right things now; I'll keep trying. I am not the sum total of my mistakes. Besides, regretting the past makes my blood sugar go up (or so I tell myself) LOL.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  6. RAPS_od

RAPS_od Type 1 · Well-Known Member

There is such a thing as diabetic grief, and I think we all go through it. Changing your lifestyle is a snap-your-fingers effort; it's tough. You will get there, I believe in you. I hope you get there much sooner than I did.
    Stay strong!

• Like Like x 3
  7. pollensa

pollensa · Guest

Excellent news congratulations to this success story. I don't know if your medication? metformin or other, if your NOT, then this result is even more excellent to congratulate yourself, as your own body has done this with self motivation, however, sorry to but a damper on the good results, if this is due to medications, keep in mind, medications show false results, as its the medications that have brought down the levels and not your own body naturally, keep this in mind!!!

whatever, with or without you have reduced that's the importance.

Mallorca

• Creative Creative x 1
  8. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Do remember that he is type 1, therefore it is definitely not as a result of his body doing it naturally, his body can't do it naturally, it is due to regular testing, and talking the right amount of insulin when required (and a lot of hard work) - and he has done an awesome job of getting it all sorted.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    #28 Rokaab, Jan 19, 2018 at 3:48 PM
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  9. Jeremy_Wood

Jeremy_Wood Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi There @pollensa Up until this weekend I have been on Lantus and NovoRapid since 2004, so I absolutely REFUSE to accept your damper! ;)

On another note, I was in Pollensa in the summer - lovely place!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Jeremy_Wood

Jeremy_Wood Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks @Rokaab !

11. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @pollensa
    Jeremy_Wood is a type 1 diabetic who will always need insulin in order to stay alive.
    It is type 2 diabetics who may respond to dietary changes and reduce or remove their medications - depending on individual circumstances. In addition, medications do not give 'false results'. Results are results whether the patient is on medication or not.

And @Jeremy_Wood
    I just wanted to say what an awesome result that is! What an achievement!!! :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Hiitsme

Hiitsme Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Amazing well done. Although I am type 2 - I do really admire those who have to use insulin and all that involves, so well done and keep up the good work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. NewTD2

NewTD2 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I’m so happy for you mate!

Don’t let this dreadful disease defeat us in anyway!

I hope this helps to get back on track -

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods#foodlist

• Like Like x 1
  14. archersuz

archersuz Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Well done mate and keep up the good work!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Ah, I'm on insulin, so I can get away with carby treats as long as I don't overdo it. So I really admire type two's who manage their blood sugar with only diet and maybe tablets! Seems much harder to me.

• Like Like x 1
  16. leking

leking Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That is awesome mate. Kids change your life a lot right! Keep it up. Don't focus too much on the hba1c. But take it day by day, celebrate the good days bit don't fret over the bad ones.

Wishing you well.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook