Retinal Screening

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had my first appointment with the DSN last Friday. Today, an appointment has arrived in the post for my retinal screening.

This is going to sound silly but do they HAVE to put eye drops in or can they do the screening without doing this at all?

My eyes are quite sensitive and I can't put anything in them and the thought makes me go cold. It's for the same reason I can't contemplate wearing contact glasses as I'm too squeamish although I'd like to.

I know I should go but I'm kind of wavering at the moment. I did have a full eye test earlier this year as part of my 2 yearly check and this included retinal screening and checks and a new prescription as my right eye had changed a bit (but nothing serious).

Neemo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, unfortunately it is vital for them to put drops in your eyes.

The eye drops dilate (make bigger) your pupils; therfore enabling the Dr to see a greater portion of the retina . Once dilated, photos are taken to look for (retinopathy) signs of changes to the small blood vessels etc.

31184_dilated-pupils (1).jpg

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

The eye drops dilate (make bigger) your pupils; therfore enabling the Dr to see a greater portion of the retina . Once dilated, photos are taken to look for (retinopathy) signs of changes to the small blood vessels etc.

View attachment 16101

**** :( I was hoping someone would say they may not need to in certain cases . . . :depressed:

Teddysmum

**** :( I was hoping someone would say they may not need to in certain cases . . . :depressed:
I have sensitive eyes, to the point that I found a makeup demo uncomfortable when the eyeliner pen was moved over my left eye especially.

I wouldn't even dare put water in my eyes, though I once tested contactlenses then bought some, but couldn't face putting the things in, after a couple of weeks.

I hate the drops, but have survived them for 6 years, including some extra stingy ones at the eye hospital, when I had to have a floater and possible retinal detachment investigated.

My main problem is that I can't self inflict, so find it not so bad if someone else puts the drops in. They only sting for a few seconds.

I have the beginnings of cataracts (hereditary ), so the possible ops will be fun, as they involve drops several times a day, for ages.

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Teddysmum

I can't self inflict either and I still struggle when others do. Hubby has to use the lancet to prick my finger and I shut my eyes and grimace whilst he does it! It's the thought of someone dropping something into my eyes and the fact I won't be able to see properly for a few hours afterwards that's bothering me. If it was just the screening minus the drops I don't think I'd be so stressed about it.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods

View attachment 16101
WRONG! It is easier for them to run the clinic like a production line dosing everyone with the drops!
I refuse the drops as they affect my eyes badly!
They reluctantly screen without the drops!

Reactions: 2 people

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
I have sensitive eyes, to the point that I found a makeup demo uncomfortable when the eyeliner pen was moved over my left eye especially.

I wouldn't even dare put water in my eyes, though I once tested contactlenses then bought some, but couldn't face putting the things in, after a couple of weeks.

I hate the drops, but have survived them for 6 years, including some extra stingy ones at the eye hospital, when I had to have a floater and possible retinal detachment investigated.

My main problem is that I can't self inflict, so find it not so bad if someone else puts the drops in. They only sting for a few seconds.

I have the beginnings of cataracts (hereditary ), so the possible ops will be fun, as they involve drops several times a day, for ages.
Rest assured, the drops used after cattaract surgery are painless and you only use them for a week, I've had both mine done and had no problem at all

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Hi
@Teddysmum
Honestly it's done so quickly you hardly feel them go in they do sting but only for seconds and it's worth it when you think it's all being done to save your sight. Remember to take sunglasses with you as the daylight hurts for a while after the test. I had mine done recently & travelled by bus (you can't drive after the test 'till your eyes clear) I went on my own and I was fine

I can't self inflict either and I still struggle when others do. Hubby has to use the lancet to prick my finger and I shut my eyes and grimace whilst he does it! It's the thought of someone dropping something into my eyes and the fact I won't be able to see properly for a few hours afterwards that's bothering me. If it was just the screening minus the drops I don't think I'd be so stressed about it.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
WRONG! It is easier for them to run the clinic like a production line dosing everyone with the drops!
I would think they find it hard to see the whole area and maybe there is a chance something might get missed?

Have you tried different types of drops, ie is it all drops that affect your eyes badly?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I have found that certain types of drops sting and others don't sting. My local hospital has switched to a cheaper type that stings more.

miltondogs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi the first time I had retinal screening with drops my eyes were painfull for days so now I have them tested with no drops at all hospital fine with this so just say you don't like them

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I actually use a computer as the main part of my job and I also work in a customer facing role. I DON'T want sore and painful eyes for the next few days afterwards and subsequent time off due to it! That'll go down like a lead balloon at work otherwise :( There is a telephone number on the letter. Maybe I will phone before the appointment and enquire.

Neemo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

No need to SHOUT!!

You're entitled to your opinion (even if it is wrong and uniformed), however please don't offer poor advice to fellow members.

I take it you're not an ophthalmologist/optometrist..

I saw an optometrist recently who photographed my retina. I asked what the rationale behind 'dilating' the pupils was; She explained, as per diagram above, it allows a LARGER area of the retina to be photographed > examined..

At the end of the day its the patients perogative, you're not going to be 'forced'.
However, I prefer to have a C-O-M-P-H-R-E-N-S-I-V-E checkup, where the largest possible area of the Retina can be examined for retinopathy...I value my eyesight too much!!

Neemo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I actually use a computer as the main part of my job and I also work in a customer facing role. I DON'T want sore and painful eyes for the next few days afterwards and subsequent time off due to it! That'll go down like a lead balloon at work otherwise :( There is a telephone number on the letter. Maybe I will phone before the appointment and enquire.

The majority of people work with computers in this day and age..

The eye drops dont affect you for days; after my last test, I got on the train (london) and went to work straight after. Was at my desk an hour and a 15 minutes after eye drops - turned the contrast and brightness down slightly..

My eyes were back to normal after 3 hours.

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

The eye drops dont affect you for days; after my last test, I got on the train (london) and went to work straight after. Was at my desk an hour and a 15 minutes after eye drops - turned the contrast and brightness down slightly..

I get where you're coming from and of course I'd prefer to have a comprehensive and thorough check. But, as an example of how I can react to things I felt very faint and hot after having my very first flu jab last week. I almost passed out (I'm also needle phobic as well). I must have spent at least another 20 mins or so with the DSN before I felt safe enough and steady on my feet to actually leave the room. It may sound stupid to most but it's the same sort of reaction that may be triggered if I have the drops in my eyes.

I'm guessing that some people are absolutely fine yet others it will have a more adverse effect on . . .

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
No need to SHOUT!!

You're entitled to your opinion (even if it is wrong and uniformed), however please don't offer poor advice to fellow members.

I take it you're not an ophthalmologist/optometrist..

I saw an optometrist recently who photographed my retina. I asked what the rationale behind 'dilating' the pupils was; She explained, as per diagram above, it allows a LARGER area of the retina to be photographed > examined..

At the end of the day its the patients perogative, you're not going to be 'forced'.
However, I prefer to have a C-O-M-P-H-R-E-N-S-I-V-E checkup, where the largest possible area of the Retina can be examined for retinopathy...I value my eyesight too much!!
He may have shouted, but you have been unnecessarily rude to him. He was only sharing his experience, not claiming to be a health professional or telling the OP what to do. There are other ways to make your point without being rude to people.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

She was talking about her own tendency to have worse symptoms from procedures than other people. Reactions to eye drops vary widely.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I get where you're coming from and of course I'd prefer to have a comprehensive and thorough check. But, as an example of how I can react to things I felt very faint and hot after having my very first flu jab last week. I almost passed out (I'm also needle phobic as well). I must have spent at least another 20 mins or so with the DSN before I felt safe enough and steady on my feet to actually leave the room. It may sound stupid to most but it's the same sort of reaction that may be triggered if I have the drops in my eyes.

I'm guessing that some people are absolutely fine yet others it will have a more adverse effect on . . .
You're right, people react differently to the eye drops, like a lot of things. I didn't know it was possible to have an adequate test without the drops but if there is a chance you can, then there is no harm in asking about it. If you decide you need to have the drops, then maybe there won't be much of a reaction - hard to say beforehand. I do know there are different drops and some hurt more than others.

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You're right, people react differently to the eye drops, like a lot of things. I didn't know it was possible to have an adequate test without the drops but if there is a chance you can, then there is no harm in asking about it. If you decide you need to have the drops, then maybe there won't be much of a reaction - hard to say beforehand. I do know there are different drops and some hurt more than others.

Thank You :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Please can we keep this civil. Some people do react to the eye drops. I know someone who has to have a half dose and another person who does not have the drops because of previous problems.

We're all different.