Retinopathy 4th bout of laser

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have now had four lots of laser to my right eye, I was told that it was improving (can't see it lol), but just last week the vision in my right eye gradually got worse, so a trip to the hospital was called for. now have cataracts in both eyes, left one is a grade 4, right one is a grade 3.8 (came on suddenly) was informed by the team at the eye centre that some cataracts can be relatively fast forming. But on this occasion they have discovered some new vessels forming near to the main nerve in the eye. so am on tenter hooks about if they will perform laser on this new vessel, and they are questioning the surgery for my cataract as well(left eye is getting done on 2-3-18). I have tightened my control considerably, and I know it takes awhile for this to show in the eye, so just a little worried about it. I will wait and see (pun intended) what the consultant says about some more laser.

Dark Horse

I have now had four lots of laser to my right eye, I was told that it was improving (can't see it lol), but just last week the vision in my right eye gradually got worse, so a trip to the hospital was called for. now have cataracts in both eyes, left one is a grade 4, right one is a grade 3.8 (came on suddenly) was informed by the team at the eye centre that some cataracts can be relatively fast forming. But on this occasion they have discovered some new vessels forming near to the main nerve in the eye. so am on tenter hooks about if they will perform laser on this new vessel, and they are questioning the surgery for my cataract as well(left eye is getting done on 2-3-18). I have tightened my control considerably, and I know it takes awhile for this to show in the eye, so just a little worried about it. I will wait and see (pun intended) what the consultant says about some more laser.
You sound like you might be worried because the new vessel is near to the main nerve but actually the new vessels themselves are not lasered - the peripheral retina is lasered to stop it from sending out growth factors which make the new vessels grow. Ophthalmologists try to use the minimum effective dose of laser as it can have side-effects such as loss of peripheral vision and poor dark adaptation. Sometimes it can take several bouts of laser to get it right.

A sudden improvement in diabetic control can temporarily increase retinopathy progression so make sure you mention this to your ophthalmologist at your next visit.

Reactions: johnpol

Dark Horse

Eye stuff is scary. I just found outlast week right before my first injection into my eyeball that they prepare the eye with Provodine iodine to which I am allergic. After three days, my eyeball is bloody and I have been popping benedryl cleargels to stop the itching and etc. but my eyesight is no longer quite so blurry. The concept of doing this once a month for the rest of my life is not a pleasant prospect.

I now feel blessed after reading what you have gone through. I had a new Fuchs Dystrophy exam a week ago and the cataract count was also not so bad so I get to put off that surgery and the transplants of the corneas for a while. However, during the talk, they said the same thing, that cataracts, if and when they grow worse, or Fuchs, when it proliferates can sometimes happen very quickly. Also, I heard about some kind of treatment where they put tiny implants in your eyes every three months for macular edema, which I have in addition to the retinopathy.

I am going to pray for your eyes, John. Be a nice distraction frm my own
Did you tell the staff that you were allergic? You might be interested in this article:-
http://lowvision.preventblindness.org/therapies-treatments-and-procedures/betadine-and-eye-pain/