Retinopathy & Anti VEGF Injections

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Positive post alert!!

I had my first Anti-VEGF injection on Friday and want to post something so others facing it might find it.

The main point is that the injection's bark is definitely worse than it's bite! The thought of having a needle put into my eye has been horrifying and I'd been stressing about it ever since it was first mentioned, but it really isn't at all bad. They used loads of anaesthetic drops so all I felt was a little moment of pressure, no pain at all. And you can't see the needle coming towards you, which I was really dreading. I could see when he pushed the plunger down but only a vague blurry image of it. All over really quickly and easily. My eyes ached a little afterwards but I just took paracetemol as advised and was absolutely fine.

If you've had laser treatment (which I assume anyone going for the injections has) then this is far better - no pain, no flashing lights, no holding your head in the frame and trying to keep still for ages.

There is after care though, i.e. using antibiotic/antisceptic(not sure which?) drops for a few days, and I've been told not to lift anything too heavy or bend over for a couple of months, which I assume is just to stop suddden increases in the blood pressure in the small vessels.

Oh and the best bit is that my eyes haven't been as blurry since!! (once the initial dilation etc has worn off...)

I hope that helps put some fears to rest. If anyone has questions I'm happy to help where I can