Retinopathy Laser Photocoagulation

mrkirkby

I want to discuss the treatment I've just had preferably with someone else who's had it also.

I went in for a follow up with a consultant yesterday in order to take a further look at my eyes after screening and it became apparent I'd need laser treatment. It was offered right away and I went ahead.

I was asked to sign a disclaimer which I couldn't read due to the eye drops in use which was my first hiccup.. Something needs sorted there.

Secondly. I want to ask if anyone else who's had the treatment how long it took before their vision returned to a closer level of normal. After the eye drops wore off yesterday following the treatment, my left eye, the one I had the treatment on has had a blurry area if i look at a centre point, and hold a finger on its end in front of me and move it downwards, not far off the centre point it becomes blurry, far more so than my untreated eye. It's quite disorientating during the day time when it's brighter and wanted to know if this is likely going to be a permanent issue or if anyone has found it to clear itself up over time.

I know just about everyone probably thinks these things after having complications arise but I wish I'd taken more care of myself. That laser treatment's not very comfortable.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi and welcome to the forum mrkirkby :)

Usually the eyes are blurry for a day or two after the laser surgery but this soon passes, the bright light thing may be down to your eyes still being slightly dilated but repeated laser sessions can make bright lights seem as if they have a halo around them, this is especially so at night when looking at street lights and such.

If your concerned and your vision doesn't return to normal then ring the Ophthalmology clinic up and ask for advice on what you should do next, same again if you notice any other changes to your eyes which don't seem right. There's a website that is excellent for advice and information on diabetic retinopathy, here it is:

http://medweb.bham.ac.uk/easdec/laserdi ... pathy.html

Unbeliever

If you found the laser uncomfortable it may be that it was quite intense. Could take longer than a few days in that case.
Don't worry -it will pass.
Its never too late to start taking care of yourself and have a posiive impact on your eye health.

You could say I have had some experience.. Not much room left for laser in one eye and none at all in the other.
Don't worry my case is unusual and very difficult and it wasn;t caused by my not taking care of myself. Had I not done so I would be blind by now. .

mrkirkby

Thanks for the advice.. It's much appreciated. Quite a harrowing experience. I'm trying my best although my job interferes quite a lot.

Got home to the news today that there's a small amount of protein leaking too which isn't ideal.

Let's hope the 2nd laser session in a month doesn't cause much more disruption. My vision seems to be coming back although I've noticed it to be blurrier in gloomy light from energy saving lights more than tungsten.. I suppose it will just take some time to get used to. Also, this morning when I woke up it took a good half hour to an hour for my left eye to come into focus properly.

Unbeliever

You may have had the wors of he laser to begin with. The second session may not be as intense. I have had sessions of laser where I could see absoluely nothing except bright blocks of light for more than 24 hours and other sessions where the effects wore off as quickly as he dilating drops.
Of course its always easier said than done to look after yourself - life tends to get in the way.
In any event its best to make gradual changes . A sudden change in Bg levels, even if downwards, can have a dertrimental effect.

Gradual changes and stability are what is recommended when you have eye issues,

Good luck with the next session.