Retinopathy letter received

jamesfitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had an eye screening test last week

Received a letter saying i have some background retinopathy.

Been diagnosed since 2015 and blood sugars mostly between 4-7 (90% of the time)

So shocked to see this after 3 years of well controlled diabetes :/

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I had the same letter after my first screening. As far as I am aware retinopathy at background level can wax and wane. Even some non Diabetics can be seen to have background retinopathy.

jamesfitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had the same letter after my first screening. As far as I am aware retinopathy at background level can wax and wane. Even some non Diabetics can be seen to have background retinopathy.

was it highlighted at subsequent eye tests or had it cleared up?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
was it highlighted at subsequent eye tests or had it cleared up?

I have only had the one screening (I missed the second appointment) but members do report that that BR can come and go.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
No real need to worry @jamesfitz i've had it come and go and consider myself fairly stable, I was in a right panic the first year I got it, had it for a few years, then it went for a few years and came back again last year, just had an eye screening test so hoping it doesn't progress. It does come and go as @Guzzler has said so try not to worry.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Had an eye screening test last week

Received a letter saying i have some background retinopathy.

Been diagnosed since 2015 and blood sugars mostly between 4-7 (90% of the time)

So shocked to see this after 3 years of well controlled diabetes :/
Hi @jamesfitz I have often thought that this is one of the worst aspects of standard letters which go out to all diabetics. Over the years I came to realise that I always got the same letter, even though the first time I had to have actual treatment was in early 1979 and the last in mid 1983. I have had plenty of letters informing me about the need for an annual diabetic review or that retinal screening is important for diabetic patients even though I haven't had to inject insulin for over 5 years. Computer brains cannot cope with anything but black and white. I wish they would word these letters far more carefully since thousands (millions?) must have been unnecessarily freaked out by this news. Keep up the excellent control and good luck!