retiring to spain

philt68

I have just retired and I am have been looking at properties in Spain and Portugal as I am thinking of moving there permanently ot at least until I'm unable to continue to live there alone.
I was diagnosed as having type 2 diabetes over 10 years ago and have asthma and I was wondering how I would go about getting the meds test strips and inhalers I'm told I need over there. How to go about getting access to the Spanish or Portuguese Health Service.

Of course I realise that all the afore mentioned might (and probably will) incur costs but what kind of figures are we talking about?

If anyone is well informed about these concerns and is able to bring me up to speed I would be most appreciative.
thanks

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think your visa, meds and access to health care will require lots of cash. Unless you already have a right to live in Spain or have an EU spouse.

LonelyFatGuy

You might get a lot more replies on one of the British Expat forums for Spain, of which there is a few.

Reactions: MissMuffett

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to sell new homes and I had lots of purchases made by Brits coming back from the US and Spain when they reached retirement age because they couldn’t afford the medical fees! Especially from America as their jobs used to have medical insurance!

• Informative
Reactions: Lainie71

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I used to sell new homes and I had lots of purchases made by Brits coming back from the US and Spain when they reached retirement age because they couldn’t afford the medical fees! Especially from America as their jobs used to have medical insurance!
We have been seriously thinking of moving to Canada or USA. We have relatives over in both areas so hoping they could sponsor. A friend has just moved from South Yorkshire and they live in Nevada, he said its the best thing hes ever done.

Reactions: MissMuffett

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We have been seriously thinking of moving to Canada or USA. We have relatives over in both areas so hoping they could sponsor. A friend has just moved from South Yorkshire and they live in Nevada, he said its the best thing hes ever done.
I would love to move to Canada but apparently I’m too old! :rolleyes: