Returning member, really struggling

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thats great news. I am happy to stand corrected :)
I am another type 2 on Metformin in the UK given a meter and prescribed test strips by my diabetes clinic nurse.I agree with@pleinster that I didn't take,nor was I offered a course for any aspect of my diabetes,but know more about controlling my levels than any professional,so far.My DN is great but bound by the NHS guidelines.She supports me despite my age, in changing my diet from the NHS guidelines to Lowcarb,which for me has shown good results.I too, like @pleinster feel everyone type 2 wishing to change diet should be given a meter and strips on prescription together with dietary advice and support.

Last edited:
Reactions: pleinster

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is my thinking in claiming that just giving out meters to everyone would be of no real benefit.
  • Most GP have only ever seen 1 or 2 people “reverse” Type2
  • Yet we see people do it every week
  • The information on how to “reverse” Type2 is easy for anyone to find on the internet if they look
  • It seems it does not take that much effort for most people to “reverse” Type2 if they take action (low carb) as soon as they are diagnosed.
  • Therefore it seems that few people are making enough of an effect to educate themselves so as to discover low carb for themselves.
  • The NHS does not believe in limiting carbs at meals, therefore will not tell people how to use meters/strips to work out if they are eating too many carbs.
Therefore what good would it do the 99% of people who have not discovered this website to be given test strips…..

(Personly I would like to see all GPs and nurses were given a free CGM for 1 month, as they can learn about how food affects their own BG - I expect this would result in a lot of them question carbs. )