Returning member, really struggling

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@wyrdspirit when did you have your latest test done? Was it after the Christmas period? I only ask as I know if I have my test done too soon it will be very high.

Reactions: Liam1955

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Where are you based?

If you’re in the UK it should be provided for free by the NHS!

Its is more likely that a Type 2 will not be given a meter on the NHS these days. It is a common complaint on this site. While this is clearly driven by budget more than anything else, it is beyond frustrating that this is evidently "justified" through a policy of telling Type 2s that they do not need to self test...worse that it is a bad idea ! In some cases, I am convinced that the advice is a result of poor training and total ignorance than simply budget limitations. Either way, it is a sorry state of affairs.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@wyrdspirit so your last month of the test would have been December. I know Christmas can't account for all of the high score but it would have contributed.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Its is more likely that a Type 2 will not be given a meter on the NHS these days. It is a common complaint on this site. While this is clearly driven by budget more than anything else, it is beyond frustrating that this is evidently "justified" through a policy of telling Type 2s that they do not need to self test...worse that it is a bad idea ! In some cases, I am convinced that the advice is a result of poor training and total ignorance than simply budget limitations. Either way, it is a sorry state of affairs.

I think it’s irresponsible of some NHS Trusts or CCG not to provide metres to T2s as I’ve read a medical report which says that somewhere between 10-20% of T2s are actually misdiagnosed and will progress to T1.5 (LADA) or slow onset T1.

So T2s either need to regularly self test, or have a GAD / C-Peptide tests done as soon as possible.

Reactions: wyrdspirit

wyrdspirit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@wyrdspirit so your last month of the test would have been December. I know Christmas can't account for all of the high score but it would have contributed.

i'm just as careful at Christmas as at any other time of year, so this wouldn't be the case. i did, however, have an infection at the end of November. i know this would have contributed :)

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I worked hard at getting my glucose levels under control to the point where i was able to come off medication. The last couple of months I noticed symptoms of high blood glucose but put it down to an infection I had at the time. The infection cleared but still the symptoms remained. I eventually gave in and got blood tests done. My hba1c has jumped from 60 to 105 in 6 months.

This could be a case of the HbA1c being a very "blunt tool".

Given that:

* You had an infection which corresponded to you having symptoms of high bg

* Many people report their bgs staying high for many weeks after an infection

* A HbA1c result is influenced far more by the bg levels close to the sample date than the earlier months

It could be that your HbA1c hasn't jumped from 60 to 105 in 6 months. The jump could have been over the last month, and it may be that if you were to have another test in 3 months, it would be a very different picture.

So if your GP has prescribed medicine based purely on your HbA1c, it might be overkill as you suggest, especially if you feel you are getting "lows".

I'd definitely get a meter, so you get info on the here-and-now.

If you absolutely can't get a meter, then I'd try to monitor when you get the sense you are "low", and book and appointment with the GP and try to do the things which lead you to feeling you are "low" when you arrive at the surgery, and get a finger prick reading done then.

NanaBecca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know of no-one, including myself, who is a Type 2, only on Metformin/glucophage, who gets a meter and/or test strips on prescription from the NHS. They dont prescribe them to us.

Most of us dont even get to see a doctor, let alone an appointment to a Diabetic Clinic.

I am UK based and got the tester and strips on prescription and I have to be fair to my surgery, the diabetic nurses are brilliant. I am housebound with other conditions and the nurses always do home checks and ring regularly. I figured that would be the standard but I am guessing I am one of the luckier ones??

Reactions: Glenmac

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am UK based and got the tester and strips on prescription and I have to be fair to my surgery, the diabetic nurses are brilliant. I am housebound with other conditions and the nurses always do home checks and ring regularly. I figured that would be the standard but I am guessing I am one of the luckier ones??
are you on diabetic medication other than metformin? those who are only diet or diet and metformin controlled dont usually get a meter or test strips on prescription.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I know of no-one, including myself, who is a Type 2, only on Metformin/glucophage, who gets a meter and/or test strips on prescription from the NHS. They dont prescribe them to us.

Most of us dont even get to see a doctor, let alone an appointment to a Diabetic Clinic.

Hello.

Now we know each other you know at least one T2 on Metformin only (no other medication) who gets test strips prescribed on the NHS. The meter was free (they had a drawer full of various meters, left, I think, by medical reps hoping to sell test strips).

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Thanks everyone. I am UK based. I'll ask again when I go to the Diabetic clinic in a couple of weeks. I did get a meter back in 2008 and got the strips on prescription but that was stopped when I came off the medication. I'll have a look at the links. Much appreciated.

I know it was a while back, but don't you still have the meter in a drawer somewhere?

If so, you could ask to restart the test strips as you are back on medication.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello.

Now we know each other you know at least one T2 on Metformin only (no other medication) who gets test strips prescribed on the NHS. The meter was free (they had a drawer full of various meters, left, I think, by medical reps hoping to sell test strips).
Thats great news. I am happy to stand corrected :)

Reactions: LittleGreyCat

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
my diet is mostly vegetarian and I keep to as low carb as possible. I was off medication for years and my hba1c last July was 60. Nothing has changed in my lifestyle which is why I'm shocked at the huge jump to 105

With a hba1c of 60 you should have been on metformin, at that level it is likely you have been slowly increasing the fat on your liver, this will make it harder for your body to control BG.

Personally, if I was you I would be talking to the GP about SGLT2 inhibitors, as they are the only drug that removes the sugar from your body, all other drugs move the sugar into a different part of the body. Along with that, consider doing the Newcastle Diet, so as to quickly remove your liver fat.

(I consider very low carb to be the best option, but it is heard if you will not eat meat. As other than olives, avocado and eggs there are very few very low carb foods for you to consider. But you may make it work by adding lots of butter, olive oil and mayonnaise to above ground veg.)

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
I think it’s irresponsible of some NHS Trusts or CCG not to provide metres to T2s as I’ve read a medical report which says that somewhere between 10-20% of T2s are actually misdiagnosed and will progress to T1.5 (LADA) or slow onset T1.

So T2s either need to regularly self test, or have a GAD / C-Peptide tests done as soon as possible.

In my opinion, Type 2s should be prescribed meters and strips simply because it arms them with a very good weapon in the battle to control blood sugar levels (particularly through diet). If budget restrictions and/or managerial decisions at policy level are indeed the decisive factor, it is a false economy to save money at this level to have to spend at those who go on to suffer complications. There will always be those who argue that it is not required...but, personally, I know I would not have managed to achieve the levels I am achieving without the edge a meter has given me.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Meters and strips without training in how to use them to learn what you can cope with eating is of no benefit to most people. This training can't be done if the GP/nurse thinks all meals should contain carbs.....

The problem is a lot more than just providing the meters!

Personly I would like to see meters and strips provided automatically to everyone who goes on an "X-Expert" course (it already covers carbs), and an additional section to be added on how to use a meter to test meals. Then after 6 months strips to only be provided if people prove with their records (photo of meals + readings) that they are making good use of the strips.

Another opiton I thought of, GP should tell people they can have a prescription for a meter and test strips at their next appointment if they come in with a plan of action in how they would use them to improve control. Then leave people to do their own research and self-learning, as that way it is much more likely that people who are given them, will benefit.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ringi I'm sure I am not alone in this but I was told by my dn to use the eat well plate and eat carbs. I was also verbally humiliated by a pharmacist in front of a crowd when I asked about buying a meter! But I bought one , worked out how to use it , reduced my hbac1 and been congratulated by the doctor on my achievements! I didn't have training! I used this fantastic website for help, advice and information. I don't think 'training' is needed just information on interpretation and that is available here thanks to all the kind and supportive members.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
But 99% of people with Type2 don't make the effect to find this website or learn for themselves in other ways. Most people unlike us are not "self-learners", hence when metes and test strips have been given out as part of clinical trials looking at how effective there are, no improvement is seen by providing them.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ringi I don't know about any research into this. I would be interested to read if you have a link.
99% seems very high. Is that your statistic? If so I think you are maybe overestimating the people who are not prepared to seek information.
@wyrdspirit apologies for going slightly off the subject. How are you getting on?

Last edited:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Where are you based?

If you’re in the UK it should be provided for free by the NHS!
Only if you are on insulin
Then after 6 months strips to only be provided if people prove with their records (photo of meals + readings) that they are making good use of the strips.
More likely to be the opposite. My husband was given a meter and strips when he was first diagnosed with T2 but as soon as his blood tests showed good BG levels the strips on prescription were stopped because they said as he was controlling his diabetes well he no longer needed them

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
But 99% of people with Type2 don't make the effect to find this website or learn for themselves in other ways. Most people unlike us are not "self-learners", hence when metes and test strips have been given out as part of clinical trials looking at how effective there are, no improvement is seen by providing them.

I get where you are coming from but disagree. I did not take any kind of course on my diabetes, on control of it, or on use of meters...nor was I asked to produce any kind of plan as a prerequisite to meter use. I also found..quickly, that I knew more about how to control my levels successfully than the average professional giving me entirely inadequate advice. That said, I have the utmost respect for many health professionals I have encountered in other areas than this...and for the diabetes consultant I regularly see who agrees with my own approach and also thinks all Type 2s should be issued with meters. Now, I am arrogant enough to agree with the implication than most people may not be exactly up to the challenge to the same extent as many of us on this site...but I maintain that, despite the obvious reality that many will not use the meters to full effect (because they should also be taught how to use them in conjunction with the identification of an appropriate diet - and certainly not the "healthy eating" one generally dished out), it should not be the place of doctors (and certainly not nurses...and my wife is one) to determine the intellect or potential practicality of patients. That is NOT generally their skill (and certainly not their qualification). I expect my doctor (our NHS) to inform me accurately as to my diagnosis and as to the treatment available to me. Obviously those who are very clearly incapacitated or compromised by other factors should not be issued anything they would very clearly not benefit from but the vast majority of Type 2s should have access to them through the NHS...purely in my opinion. I would also like to see evidence of your claim in regard to meters that "no improvement is seen by providing them". When ? To whom ? Still, we all differ...and we all have opinions and I do respect your view. I wish none of us had to fight to be prescribed what can make a big difference to our control of this condition.