Type 1 Reusing insulin syringes and pen needles

MikeSA

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Can one reuse insulin syringes and pen needles more than once? How many times would be safe ?Or if there are any risks, what are they? Whenever I am abroad, I sometimes have to purchase specifically the pen needles but in some countries they are quite expensive.

saraelbanaxx

Can one reuse insulin syringes and pen needles more than once? How many times would be safe ?Or if there are any risks, what are they? Whenever I am abroad, I sometimes have to purchase specifically the pen needles but in some countries they are quite expensive.
I would say to try not to ever reuse needles and if abroad they are expensive, can you not ask your GP for needles before you leave?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Why don't you just take the correct number of needles with you?

They can be reused, but it's not advised. They are only really designed for one use and that one use damages them so the next use is more likely to be painful. If you really really over use them you'd be risking the needle breaking or an infection at injection site, but unless you're using the same needle dozens and dozens of times that's unlikely.

Just pack properly, it'll make your life easier.

Reactions: Jo Bodensee

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If we are talking about small needles on pens, not vials, then it's your decision. I use one needle per day with no problems whatsoever but we are all different. I believe the risk of infection if you remove the needle between each use and cap it the risk of infection is vanishingly small. I've virtually never had more pain at the end of the day than at first use and no bruising. Do what you find works for you and if you can reduce cost and waste then great.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do reuse pen needles over a 24-hour period because I'm a lazy, but I find that after using Levemir the needle gets clogged whereas NovoRapid doesn't do that.

Edited by a moderator to remove inappropriate language.

Last edited by a moderator: