Reversal.... It can be done... Surprised myself really

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Allarepossible said:
lost 3 stone in a year. I do love my desserts, cheesecakes, sponge and custard. Although I do have these in moderation, but was told by diabetic doctor that this is not always the reason for the condition and that it is usually genetic.

Congratulations on the weight loss. Keep it up. The genetics aspect is probably correct but it is more to do with how we metabolise the foods we eat and where we store our fats from those cheesecakes, sponges and custards. We need to avoid fatty build up in the liver and pancreas. The trouble is, we can't see it there. Most people get to know when they get rather thick in the middle, but some people stay looking trim but are still getting into trouble. All you can do is keep at it. Avoid sugary foods and also try to avoid highly refined flours. Sponges are a great example of a double whammy and are even worse if there is a yummy layer of jam in it.

Would you believe I came home to find my wife had picked 6 Kg of blackcurrants which were on the kitchen table next to a book entitled, Home Preserving? I'm going to have to find an extra helping of willpower now.

sparkyrich

Yorksman said:
Would you believe I came home to find my wife had picked 6 Kg of blackcurrants which were on the kitchen table next to a book entitled, Home Preserving? I'm going to have to find an extra helping of willpower now.

What you need to do is boil them up, add sugar and yeast, then leave alone for a few weeks, Black currants make some of the best tasting wine ever - plus, you can't spread it on toast so you're removing temptation ;-)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
sparkyrich said:
What you need to do is boil them up, add sugar and yeast, then leave alone for a few weeks, Black currants make some of the best tasting wine ever - plus, you can't spread it on toast so you're removing temptation ;-)

That's not a bad idea but it will meet with some resistance. My daughter wants to make a sort of syrup because she's into fruit flavoured vodkas at the moment and she has a few rock festivals lined up. Personally, I'd just cook them, add a bit of something like truvia and then divide into portions and freeze so I could make up smoothies with natural yoghurt. They'll not take any notice though and one day my wife will say, look at this lovely blackcurrant crumble I've made.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Steal some put them in the freezer as they are and then in the middle of winter fish them out and cook gently and serve with lots of cream (or ice cream for family) Summer revisited :D
CAROL