1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Reversal of T2D, then what?

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Waspdog, May 8, 2022.

1. Waspdog

Waspdog · Member

Thanks for your thoughts. I have achieved the weight loss side of the equation 12kg in 2 months, down to a BMI of 23.5, which I WILL maintain. Carbs, a little and not too often seems to be the rule. Wholewheat bread and some home brewed ale, are the things dreams are made off. I make bread and brew beer and enjoy cooking. Ah well salad again for dinner.
    IMG_1652170750.109124.jpg IMG_3491.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

In my first year I got down to 38.
    It was lockdown and there weren't many opportunities to add carbs without a determined effort.
    In my second year I have increased to 39, and I thought I was being good. Good for me includes 85% chocolate most evenings, just a square or 2, wine 2-3 times a week but no more than 2 glasses at a time or else I fall over. I satisfy my cravings for forbidden carbs by having a mouthful or 2 of whatever hubby is having. Never more than a mouthful or 2.
    Yet still my hba1c has gone up, so yes I have to stay fairly strict.
    You will find a way that suits you, it may not be what you wish now, but it has to be sustainable for your life.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Waspdog

Waspdog · Member

Thanks for your response. May I please know what you refer to as 38 and 39 and what units? I am guessing that it is HbA1C in mmol/mol, but I would like to be clear.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Manda Foodie

Manda Foodie Don't have diabetes · Member

Thanks for your honesty; although I am not Type 2, I am at high risk, and this post captures exactly how my approach to my diet feels for me. All the best for your future success

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  5. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Societal norms now revolve around sugary treats. The days of bringing a hog roast or similar have been replaced by cake and biscuits. A previous "normal" is now the new accepted normal, and we all fall for it, because it tastes nice. If you compare and contrast the "normal" in an untouched society an indulgence might be honey (in season only); cross referencing their metabolic states with "ours" it is crystal clear what "normal" to our bodies looks like.

The 2 items beer and bread are grain based, which are just sugar molecules. People continually try to bring potatoes, pasta, bread back, when the real question is do they even work in a modern context for non-diagnosed "normal" population. The latest study we can take as a surrogate shows that 8 out of 10 Americans are not metabolically healthy, this is a wake up call that says almost everyone cannot take the sugar hit. I am in the camp that believes this is mainly due to the very foods being craved on the carbohydrate spectrum, especially when mixed with vegetable fats. My comments have assumed it is sugar (along with veg fat and grains) that is the main problem, happy to be proved otherwise.

So my point to you is look at what you are trying to bring back in for what it is, beer is liquid carbs, and bread is high glyceamic. The theories around what causes heart disease have just as valid hypothesis from the Keto / Carnivore commentators as those from the main stream. It should not be assumed that undiagnosed can and do tolerate carbs especially past their 30's.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Robbity2

Robbity2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Too many carbohydrates caused me to become T2. This was not my normal or chosen diet - most of my life I'd previously eaten a normal fat moderate carb diet, and reducing carbs down low enough again has enabled me to remain (mainly) at low pre-diabetic /high normal levels for the last 8+ years. If I start eating carbs again my glucose levels tend to go back up so I see no point in doing so particularly since me and my ancient pancreas need to take things a bit easier now...

• Like Like x 2
  7. VashtiB

VashtiB Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

You said it so much more eloquently than I :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. LeftPeg

LeftPeg Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My aim is to get to the stage where I can eat 100-150g of carbs per day without spiking. But I know that day may never come.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Manda Foodie

Manda Foodie Don't have diabetes · Member

Totally agree with your last point about not tolerating carbs after 30 - given the number of other things that become too much for the body to tolerate as we age, this makes total sense.

10. mouseee

mouseee · Well-Known Member

I was diagnosed at 101, down to 36 in 6 months. Back up to 73 after a year or so. My fault but proof, for me anyway, that staying off carbs is the best thing for me. Finding a balance should be possible but I haven't found it yet....

11. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

@LeftPeg and @Waspdog I average between 100 - 130 carbs per day and have had a non diabetic Hba1c for about 9 years. Through testing various foods I know that I can eat small portions of carby foods such as bread, pasta (cooked, cooled and reheated), potatoes, some fruits and the odd cake or two. As we all have different carb tolerances by testing you may find that some foods don’t affect you as much as others. If I’m testing carby foods I tend to test hourly for 3 hours so that I get an idea as to what my BS is doing. For example I used to love croissants but haven’t had them for years but decided to try one last weekend and results were as follows - 1 hr = 10.00:nailbiting:, 2 hrs = 7.6 and 3 hrs = 6.5 indicating that I could re-add them to the ‘menu’ however, due to my taste changing, I found them a little too sweet and greasy so probably won’t bother again!

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook