Reversal, remission, cure?

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, my last hba1c was 31.
I still saw my Bgl rise after eating carbs but felt really sick as well so they believe I have celiac (was meant to be tested but never happened)
Next hba1c is in April though not a year since last one (I insisted on being tested early)
Anyway the dn said she wasn't sure if I was diabetic induced by medicine diet controlled OR diabetes induced by medicine which is now resolved!
At the time my Bgl were rising after meals as well as having the dawn phenomena!

Well now I don't, Bgl don't rise after carbs (most I go to is 6 or 7 from 5)
I don't have dawn phenomena either!
I am still on the diet (though have been naughty which is why I know Bgl are stable and being good)
Still testing several times a day to test.

My question is, what am I? Should I come off the diabetes register? Am I resolved? Am I cured?

I only need to lose another 5kg to be classed as healthy (though hit a plateau)
Coming off register won't effect anything as I will still have all the tests (I'm at risk because of gestational diabetes) I won't come off the diet as I love being on it... I love having energy!
However being able to get rid of that label seems nice!

Reactions: Freema

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Maybe you are just carb intolerant. Or was when on a different diet. Maybe you never had insulin resistance in the first place. There is a huge difference!
Not everyone isnt insulin resistant so that is why some can tolerate carbs and others carnt.
You are right to be cautious! Insulin resistance occurs in type1s too. It has to start from somewhere!
Not much emphasis on it by medics just lose weight is their solution.
I can assure you my insulin resistance in worse in stress and many other factors influence its fluctuation. Losing weight is only part of it. Even skinny diabetics can be insulin resistant!!!
I hate it when blinkered people assume weight loss is a magic wand. Nope.
Ask those bariatric patients who still have diabetes!!!

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Stress is a big cause, @ickihun and wow @Contralto that is an amazing result. I will look into that... I went through severe depression and developed fibromyalgia... I was also put on steroids and developed type 2 diabetes. Which made the depression worse... I ended up giving up eating as even LOOKING in the cupboard made me break down. I am now more relaxed about what I can/will eat however the weight loss stopped! And I can feel those old feelings coming back! I am not sure what I am/was but it is the future I am now worried about. I want to lose that extra weight but (as my friends joke) seems my body was built to survive famine! I can eat a small bowl of natural yoghurt once a week and still not lose weight! So though my Bgl are stable I don't want to go back to that black hole I was in!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I would say you have reversed your diabetes, but if you go back to societal food choices diabetes is likely to raise its ugly head. Where you say you have been naughty maybe on these occasions you could make the treat yourself to minimise the impact.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @busydiabeticmum
I think you have done amazingly well. I would love to be able to lose the label of diabetic but having asked GP what the criteria was to come off the register I was told it was impossible to come off having been diagnosed. He did say my control was excellent. I would love to know what criteria is used to remove people from the register.

Reactions: busydiabeticmum

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I
Hi @busydiabeticmum
I think you have done amazingly well. I would love to be able to lose the label of diabetic but having asked GP what the criteria was to come off the register I was told it was impossible to come off having been diagnosed. He did say my control was excellent. I would love to know what criteria is used to remove people from the register.
Had an hba1c in April 2016 of 85 they RE tested 2 months later and got 48. I said that there was an overlap as hba1c covers 3 months so they RE tested September and was 31, I have a yearly hba1c so next will be April. She believes it was medicine induced diabetes which is now resolved because I am not on the medicine anymore... however it took A LONG time. She was thinking 7- 10 was a good result after eating... plus I knew the result was because of diet as my Bgl did rise on eating carbs! However now it isn't. She told me if I had an hba1c under 44 I was non diabetic and would come off register!

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @busydiabeticmum
Thanks for that. It would seem different areas have different rules. My last 4 HbA1c's have been in the non diabetic range so I thought I would ask GP. It may be different for you as you were on medication that induced diabetes but well done for your hard work and getting control.