Reverse T2

ChrisR64

My wife diagnosed as T2 Feb 2016 (HbA1C of 50) (attitude of nurse was "come back in 3 months and we'll start you on medication..."), followed dieticians advice and 3 month later, HbA1C had no change. We therefore ignored the advice, bought a meter and strips (our surgery won't provide them on prescription) followed a low carb diet and monitored what readings were after each meal (and the food). 6 months later (weight loss total of 5st) and HbA1C is now 40. No need for medication (just a whole new wardrobe) BIG WELL DONE!!!!. So you can help yourself and prevent or reverse T2, but it would be good if medical professionals would advise you that this is an option instead of the "go away and take this pill" as the only solution.

Reactions: Prem51

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done to your wife and welcome to the crazy world of NHS Type 2 diabetes care..
The reason that a lot of doctors don't give the advice is that they unaware of it. They were trained ages ago and don't keep up with developments in scientific thought. Even when you try to tell them how you have achieved the (in their eyes) unachievable they put their fingers in their ears and go "la-la-la" because it contradicts the "guidelines".. These days I visit for blood tests and that's about it. Bitter... yes a little. When I had pre-dibates in 2014 the advice I was given was to "lose a bit of weight", and that was on the phone,...(something I had been struggling with for most of my adult life) no warnings of what may happen if the condition developed. Thankfully just before I was diagnosed I found this site and all the great advice it contains. The whole NHS ethos in GP practice seems to be "here's a pill - now go away".. with a few brave exceptions.

Last edited:
Reactions: jonbvn and Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Your wife has taken the right course in deciding to take her condition into her own control. Well done her!

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done to your wife and welcome to the crazy world of NHS Type 2 diabetes care..
The reason that a lot of doctors don't give the advice is that they unaware of it. They were trained ages ago and don't keep up with developments in scientific thought. Even when you try to tell them how you have achieved the (in their eyes) unachievable they put their fingers in their ears and go "la-la-la" because it contradicts the "guidelines".. These days I visit for blood tests and that's about it. Bitter... yes a little. When I had pre-dibates in 2014 the advice I was given was to "lose a bit of weight", and that was one the phone,...(something I had been struggling with for most of my adult life) no warnings of what may happen if the condition developed. Thankfully just before I was diagnosed I found this site and all the great advice it contains. The whole NHS ethos in GP practice seems to be "here's a pill - now go away".. with a few brave exceptions.

bulkbiker, did you lose weight and have you reveresed your type2 or are you just managing it?
Oh yes, I see you have lost weight. Are you still hoping to lose more?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
bulkbiker, did you lose weight and have you reveresed your type2 or are you just managing it?
Oh yes, I see you have lost weight. Are you still hoping to lose more?

Yes I have lost a bit more.. now just over 100kg and want to lose a bit more.
I have my diabetes under control. What do you mean by reversed?
I am just about to book in for my next HbA1c bloodtest so we shall see how my dietary choices are going after that.

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I have lost a bit more.. now just over 100kg and want to lose a bit more.
I have my diabetes under control. What do you mean by reversed?
I am just about to book in for my next HbA1c bloodtest so we shall see how my dietary choices are going after that.

By reversed I mean that you can eat carbs that you could not before, or are you still carb counting to keep blood sugars low.

In my case I do not want to lose weight but just keep blood sugar low so it's a bit of a balance.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
By reversed I mean that you can eat carbs that you could not before, or are you still carb counting to keep blood sugars low.

In my case I do not want to lose weight but just keep blood sugar low so it's a bit of a balance.
Personally, as in my signature, I eat an ultra low carb diet I have no desire to going back to eating carbs as I used to so haven't cared to try it out. I would imagine that at the moment my blood sugar would spike if I overate carbs but why would I? I really don't miss most of the **** I used to eat.

Reactions: Speedbird

ChrisR64

Thanks everyone.... in my wife's words:

HbA1c Results Back

Just got HbA1c results back and down from 50 to 40.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in February 2016, Blood Glucose was 50. Advice I was given was not to take my bloods on a regular basis, eat starchy carbs, lose weight (was 15st 5lbs), exercise, come back in 3 months and they would start me on medication. I followed the nurse and dieticians advice and ate more starchy carbs, took my bloods occasionally, lost 2st in 3 months but my Blood Glucose remained at 50. At review appointment I refused medication, wanted to see if I could control it with diet, was told to follow the same advice as above and come back in 6 months.

I ignored the advice, followed a low carb diet, took my bloods after every meal (majority of the time) to find out what foods raised my Blood Glucose. From June 2016 to end of December 2016 I lost another 3st and my Blood Glucose is now in the normal range of 40.

I would like to encourage everyone, especially people who are newly diagnosed to buy a monitor, take your bloods regularly and find out which foods work for you. I didn’t do that for the first 3 months and nothing changed but there was a major improvement in the next 6 months.

Thank you to everyone who posts on this site, your advice and encouragement motivated me to keep going and believe that it is possible to improve / beat Type 2 Diabetes.