Reversing Diabtes

maz21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone been able to reverse their type 2 diabetes through following the 800 calorie a day diet for 8 weeks who have been diagnosed more than 5 years? Is it possible?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Possibly.. but it might be far easier to reduce carb consumption and reverse it the ViRTA health way without the extreme caloric restriction.
Adopting a ketogenic way of eating is far less dramatic but probably equally effective.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The research I've seen reduced calories below 800, and were done under medical supervision as it is difficult to provide enough nutrition at that level. There is limited evidence and the studies were small scale and little long term follow up. Generally people find it hard to sustain low calorie diets for more than a few weeks.
Personally I think the evidence for low carb is better, and people here have maintained it for years.

Whichever one you choose, the evidence is that it is easier to get into remission if you start ASAP. Even if you do not get into remission, you will hopefully manage to reduce medications or delay any future increase.

Reactions: jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As far as I recall the stats for the, ND show that 2/3rds fail at year 2.. So possible, but I'd suggest hard.

It is possibly much easier to go LCHF, that also helps you collect a repertoire of food stuffs that you and your T2 BG levels can personally manage.

I think the main issue I would have with ND, is it still requires you to find an alternative diet at the end, as the 800 cals simply isn't sustainable over a longer period.

So for me, I'd say just jump to the Diet format you would have to choose after, and skip the ND. ?
Though if you needed to bring things down asap, a starvation diet would do that quickly.

There is a part of the forum, where those who have tried or trying ND and similar post up support and help.

Good luck, however you choose.
Help is always on hand if you need a little support.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone been able to reverse their type 2 diabetes through following the 800 calorie a day diet for 8 weeks who have been diagnosed more than 5 years? Is it possible?
Hi Maz21,
The 5 year question should be yes, its possible. There is some question to if it can be done after 10 years but I don't remember hearing 5 years as some kind of cut of point.

8 weeks on the 800 calories a day works for some people, there are people on here who can testify to it working for them.

There is one underlying issue with any diet it is hard to stick to:
I reversed my condition in about 10 weeks with out a diet. I cut out sugar and sugary things made a few small changes to the things I bought in the shops and the weigh just flew off. I went from XXXL to medium in that short time.

And never once went hungry. ;)
:bag:

Reactions: maz21

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@maz21 I’m not sure how often he is on the forum these days but I believe @andcol was successful on a very low cal diet a few years ago.

Reactions: maz21

maz21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone for your input much appreciated. Can anyone point me in the right direction on the forum to talk further about this?