Reversing Type 2 Diabetes: A Natural Alternative (Paperback)

Cowboyjim

Elizabeth Villiers Gemmette's book "Reversing Type 2 Diabetes: A Natural Alternative" paperback - anyone read it?
This lady was at our local Borders explaining how she refused 'drug therapy' and according to our local paper began a 'journey to reverse this illness'. Intriguing but Amazon has about a month to wait for delivery.
Apparently thanks to a sensible diet, exercise and weight-loss prog in 'just 7 months she had her diabetes under control' - good for her and encouraging for the rest of us maybe.
Plus it says she was even able to 'persuafe her doctor of the results attainable by non-drug therapy'. More power to her elbow!
So, anyone know about it? Read it maybe? 8)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
She's not alone!
It's not in the interests of the medics and the pharmaceutical industry to show that diabetes can be controlled without chemicals.
They make more money if the disease is "progressive" as they say.
Hana
The medical way is tempting to many diabetics. They promise you don't have to change your way of life.ANd especially, you can eat what you like.
For natural control, you need a measure of discipline. Self discipline is out of fashion in the Western world. witness the behaviour of so many people in a social context.

nuway2health

I heartily agree! As someone who worked in the pharmaceutical side of things and tested drugs for a career I can assure that the big pharmaceutical companies see illness as a money making racket and the medical profession gain greatly from amazing 'perks' by ordering their products.

This is also the reason for many of the new targets being set as well! More of the public won't be within the targets thus more people will need put on medication!!! Trust me! Even my GP admitted that to me and my pharmacist because they know I KNOW the truth!

I'm not against medication don't get me wrong but sites such as this prove how much people can accomplish by looking to their diet etc to get their diabetes under control.

Arlene

Happybunny

Bully for Elizabeth for writing her book, power to her elbow I say.........I myself was 'shocked' into taking her course of action when informed I was being put on insulin!...till then I had been controlling my diabetes with dieting... it would appear that my blood sugar levels had shot up over the past two years but no one at surgery had bothered to tell me!
That conversation took place on 29th January. that same day I found this website which is brilliant, researched through the night, started a low carb diet (sensibly) and my early morning BS count has dropped from 9.3 to 7.4....I am rather square eyed researching every bit of info I can read and have purchased the books that Hana suggested in one of her postings, thanks Hana..... tis early days yet to say if my interpretation of low carbing is working and the answer to lowering my Bs count but time will tell I'm sure, wish me luck folks

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
It's been a real "back to basics" experience for me.

I truly believe that the Food Standards Agency in this country has a lot to answer for. Why do they let the processed food industry put so many additives, e numbers and garbage into the food we buy on supermarket shelves?

By eating sensibly and cutting out the booze for a month it's been a real detox experience for me and I undoubtedly look and feel so much better for doing so.

I too want to keep on top of this condition myself, without the "aid" of prescribed drugs or insulin.

There are many great, inspirational books out there to help you on your journey.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Ardberg
The processed food induustry can put anything it likes into its products. It won' affect me, because Ialmost never eat them. The nearest I get to processed food is Premium quality fish fingers. It really isn't worth the bother of breading bits of fish. Otherwise All our food comes from the fresh meat and fresh veg counters. Plus dairy :)
I do buy canned tomatoes and some canned vegetables, but then the canning process doesn't need additives. I laugh when I see cans labelled "preservative free".
I'm sure it works out cheaper and definitely tastes better.
Hana

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Mustn't misread the thread title. I haven't read the book, but if we read it expecting that following the methods will mean that we are no longer diabetic, then we will be disappointed.

Diabetes can be controlled, & the medical control measurements will move towards non-diabetic levels, but we must live with the control methods. We will not be able to say, "I was diabetic, now I am not."

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
IanD said:
Mustn't misread the thread title. I haven't read the book, but if we read it expecting that following the methods will mean that we are no longer diabetic, then we will be disappointed.

Diabetes can be controlled, & the medical control measurements will move towards non-diabetic levels, but we must live with the control methods. We will not be able to say, "I was diabetic, now I am not."
Interestingly it seems that the US edition of the book is called 'Controlling, Type 2.....'
Calling it reversing would quite possibly open it up to legal challenge.

gbswales

I havent read the book but echo the comment that you cannot reverse diabetes - you may however be able to reverse consistently high sugar levels, which I think most of us would read it as meaning.
Lots of debate here about food additives, diet, will power......and so on. The only thing that I would say is that it is up to the individual to manage their life and illnesses - assisted by the medical profession. Diabetes is, like many aspects of life, a very emotional thing and a balance always of what you enjoy and what you need. If you dont enjoy life then from a personal point of view I can see the point in prolonging it. I do work with a combination of sensible eating (but sensible in moderation) and medication - I dont have as much choice as some about the medication because a bout of severe pancreatitis left me with a pancreas that works when it wants to!

However I do have things in my diet which are not good for me - not because I am arrogant but simply because they help me enjoy my food - one of the attractions of low carbing is that it allows me more of the things I like. Some older people (I am 64) will claim that we are now too self indulgent but just because life is different now doesnt mean that it is better or worse in any way - it is just different and we all have choices that didnt exsit 50 years ago. I have hemophilia and because of that didnt participate in sports etc which robbed me of competitiveness - if I had a hemophiliac child I would put them on prophylaxis to allow them to live the life that was denied to me. I had friends who were diabetic and had to leave a bleak existance - medicine and technology have helped to open up life for young diabetics and we should not rule them out simply because they are not "natural"