Reversing type 2 diabetes

LeftPeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was under the impression that some participants in the Newcastle study were able to reverse their Type II diabetes properly. And by that I mean that their insulin function returned to normal.

I would never want to return to my previous excesses - as I would undoubtedly see my numbers rise again - but I would like to reach a stage where I can increase the number of carbs in my diet to a reasonable level.

I think that’s what the OP is asking about.

Reactions: neithskye

Jillyfl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Swimming
I was under the impression that some participants in the Newcastle study were able to reverse their Type II diabetes properly. And by that I mean that their insulin function returned to normal.

I would never want to return to my previous excesses - as I would undoubtedly see my numbers rise again - but I would like to reach a stage where I can increase the number of carbs in my diet to a reasonable level.

I would love that too!!! I didn't eat an unhealthy diet nor did I eat to excess and that's what made me angry. I weighed 54 kilos on diagnosis. I ate fruit vegetables beans bread and pasta yes and I had cake but the cake was only a piece at the weekend. I must say though that now I feel so much better and I have energy and a feeling of well being. I don't look so good because I'm so thin at 47 kilos but that is the sacrifice. The estimated hba1c on my app is now 6 and I'm thrilled

M

Member496333

Hmmm I would say then that type 2 can't be reversed otherwise we would be able to eat like everyone else! I wonder why they say it can be reversed?

Hi. First post here.

Eating like everyone else in this context caused diabetes, so why anyone would wish to go back to “normal” is a bit of a mystery to me, personally. I have reversed T2 and currently use no medication. I have no symptoms so would class myself as carbohydrate intolerant rather than diabetic. Carbohydrate intolerance gave me diabetes, so I’m more than happy to not consume carbohydrate in order to stop it coming back :)

I guess “reversed” is a matter of perspective. My view for myself is that a blood test now would not highlight any suboptimal metabolic markers. Therefore a diagnosis of diabetes would not even be considered. If the “patient” has no symptoms and takes no medications then they have a dietary and lifestyle plan that would have prevented diabetes from developing in the first place. They are not clinically diabetic, and they choose to eat in a way that prevents them from becoming so.

I appreciate that this may not fit some people’s definition of “reversed”, but it’s good enough for me! :happy:

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat complex carbohydrates like avocados, Mung bean (glass) noodles, egg noodles and brown rice in small portions of up to 25g of carbs per day.

They don’t spike me.

But once I eat pasta, bread, white rice, sweetcorn etc., my blood glucose levels goes up to the roof.

Last edited:
Reactions: neithskye

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat complex carbohydrates like avocados and brown rice in small portions of up to 25g per day.

They don’t spike me.

But once I eat pasta, bread, white rice, sweetcorn etc., my blood glucose levels goes up to the roof.

I'm unclear if you mean 25gr or rice weighed or rice of a weight to yield 25gr carbs. Different things.

SueCumbria

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
None really.
Hello everyone

I know that type 2 can be reversed and that some of you have done it. Once you’re there can you eat like other “Normal” people again and have cake etc?
No, unfortunately. I have reversed my T2 in 6 months, I am a bit less insulin-resistant now and can now tolerate the occasional small treat but I know if I go back to eating sugar and high carbs my blood sugar levels will rise again. It's a complete lifestyle change forever.

SueCumbria

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
None really.
Hi. First post here.

Eating like everyone else in this context caused diabetes, so why anyone would wish to go back to “normal” is a bit of a mystery to me, personally. I have reversed T2 and currently use no medication. I have no symptoms so would class myself as carbohydrate intolerant rather than diabetic. Carbohydrate intolerance gave me diabetes, so I’m more than happy to not consume carbohydrate in order to stop it coming back :)

I guess “reversed” is a matter of perspective. My view for myself is that a blood test now would not highlight any suboptimal metabolic markers. Therefore a diagnosis of diabetes would not even be considered. If the “patient” has no symptoms and takes no medications then they have a dietary and lifestyle plan that would have prevented diabetes from developing in the first place. They are not clinically diabetic, and they choose to eat in a way that prevents them from becoming so.

I appreciate that this may not fit some people’s definition of “reversed”, but it’s good enough for me! :happy:
Perfectly put and I couldn't agree more! The 'diabetes' will always be there lurking in the wings, should we wish to invite it back.

Reactions: Member496333

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. First post here.

Yes - that would definitely be my definition of reversed.

I think also that I will call myself carb intolerant from now on - because that is exactly what I am.
Hi. First post here.

I agree with everything you have written. I am carb intolerant also and can never go back to 'normal' eating.

1LB

Hello everyone

I know that type 2 can be reversed and that some of you have done it. Once you’re there can you eat like other “Normal” people again and have cake etc?

Yes it is possible. I known someone, a type 2 fully medicated for 15 years, reveresed their diabetes in 6 months, off all meds now. So the simple answer to your question is yes. However, you'd probably not want to eat cake if you managed to do this. If you did it would be a small amount of cake because you would then know better, how to eat to control your insulin levels with what you eat and how you eat.

1LB

Hmmm I would say then that type 2 can't be reversed otherwise we would be able to eat like everyone else! I wonder why they say it can be reversed?
Type 2 can be revered but Type 1 can not be. I'm hoping most people have heard of Dr Jason Fung and his work with diabetics. If not I'd urge you to go and do some research. All peer reviewed. You may be shocked that this information is NOT common knowledge; I know I was. I've just finished listening to his audio book for the 2nd time. The best investment in my health I EVER made.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Not so. An old myth. I know enough people who have reveresed their diabetes to 'know' this is not the case. Type 1 yes, Type 2 no.

Reversal and Remission does not mean cure. Reversal just as long as you can maintain the non D numbers, let things slide and see how quickly the raised bg and IR returns.

M

Member496333

Type 2 can be revered but Type 1 can not be. I'm hoping most people have heard of Dr Jason Fung and his work with diabetics. If not I'd urge you to go and do some research. All peer reviewed. You may be shocked that this information is NOT common knowledge; I know I was. I've just finished listening to his audio book for the 2nd time. The best investment in my health I EVER made.

Yup. Jason Fung is a trailblazer, in my eyes. The Diabetes Code is a great audiobook, and it’s narrated by Jason himself, who is very easy and pleasant to listen to. Every diabetic should read/listen to his work :D

1LB

Reversal and Remission does not mean cure. Reversal just as long as you can maintain the non D numbers, let things slide and see how quickly the raised bg and IR returns.
Yes I agree, you can't return to old ways that caused the problems in the first place. But to be honest, I'm not sure how many people would. Knowledge is power. I hate coffee an tea without sugar or sweetners but I now know can sweetners raise your insulin levels 20% higher than plain old suger so I don't have either. I used to have 4 sweetners or 3 sugars in my coffee and 2 sweetners of 1 sugar in my tea. I don't enjoy them as much so I drink more water or ACV in water. It's a small sacrifice to make in my opinion.

Reactions: Krystyna23040
M

Member496333

Not wishing to argue, but reversal, to me, means would a new doctor who had never met me and didn’t have access to my health records diagnose me as diabetic? The answer is no. There are no symptoms and no metabolic markers that would give cause to even consider it.

Choosing not to consume carbohydrate is a valid dietary choice that one can make before or after, and has no bearing on the potential diagnosis of clinical diabetes. In my opinion the rest is just semantics, but I appreciate we all have different views :)

1LB

Yup. Jason Fung is a trailblazer, in my eyes. The Diabetes Code is a great audiobook, and it’s narrated by Jason himself, who is very easy and pleasant to listen to. Every diabetic should read/listen to his work :D

I try and promote this book as much as I can. It's changed my life and my relationship with food. I can not believe this is not promoted by Drs and the NHS. Can you imagine the lives it would change. It makes me sad to think people are suffering and they may not need to.

CL_in_NZ

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some people can go back to eating more normally. I have found I can eat large portions of carbs and my BG stays well within normal limits. However, I am well and truly adjusted to low carb and feel better without the ups and downs carbs give me. If I have over about 40g of carbs at a time I get really tired after about 45 minutes when the insulin hits.

So I eat low carb nearly all the time (<50g a day) but I do make exceptions if I am travelling, eating out with friends or on special occasions. I don't do it often though. I find it really easy to say no to sweet things and rice and pasta are out as they are not worth it. What gets me are things like beer on occasion, and the odd burger or pizza. This it not a frequent thing for me though.

It all depends on the individual and my advice is get 110% adjusted before you mess around, I was really strict for 6 months and then very cautious with experimenting.

1LB

A strange question maybe but what do you mean by increasing your carbs to a 'reasonable' level?

By what do you measure: %, gramms etc?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Not wishing to argue, but reversal, to me, means would a new doctor who had never met me and didn’t have access to my health records diagnose me as diabetic? The answer is no. There are no symptoms and no metabolic markers that would give cause to even consider it.

Choosing not to consume carbohydrate is a valid dietarhyperinsulinaemiaat one can make before or after, and has no bearing on the potential diagnosis of clinical diabetes. In my opinion the rest is just semantics, but I appreciate we all have different views :)

I would argue that a full insulin assay carried out by even an unfamiliar doctor would show metabolic dysfunction. For some people a c peptide test or a fasting insulin test or even an OGGT would signal problems. We can see our bg at home, we can directly influence our HbA1c but insulin? Not many T2s are tested. Even Dr. Fung says that treating someone with hyperinsulinaemia with more insulin is just crazy but how many times have you had your insulin levels checked?