Jillyfl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Swimming
Hello everyone

I know that type 2 can be reversed and that some of you have done it. Once you’re there can you eat like other “Normal” people again and have cake etc?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone

I know that type 2 can be reversed and that some of you have done it. Once you’re there can you eat like other “Normal” people again and have cake etc?
If and when you get there you won't want to eat "cake" again...

Jillyfl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Swimming
Hmmm I would say then that type 2 can't be reversed otherwise we would be able to eat like everyone else! I wonder why they say it can be reversed?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you do want to eat cake you’ll need to Google low carb cake recipes ;)

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The reversal is the high blood glucose, and damage done by it.
Humans never evolved to eat cake, the introduction of all the sugars and starches the supermarkets find so profitable are not how our metabolisms learned to work.

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello everyone

Its the so called 'normal' eating that got me to this sorry pass.
Now that I know what is Normal for my metabolism. I am sticking with it.
I love the normal weight, boundless energy, normal BG levels, feeling of wellbeing, mental clarity that is now a given in my daily living thanks to LCHF.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmm I would say then that type 2 can't be reversed otherwise we would be able to eat like everyone else! I wonder why they say it can be reversed?
We eat properly.. not the same as "what everyone else eats".... There's a big difference..
Why would you want to return to a way of eating that gave you T2 in the first place?

Jillyfl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Swimming
We eat properly.. not the same as "what everyone else eats".... There's a big difference..
Why would you want to return to a way of eating that gave you T2 in the first place?
I don’t want type 2 but want to eat like my husband does. I miss cake it tastes so good. I’m making him some normal brownies tomorrow because I bake for him every week. It’s difficult for us to eat out and for friends to know how to cater and it’s also difficult for me to invite friends round, unless I cook like I used to and I eat a salad or something. I hate this. I’m not cheating in any way and I do have the will power, but I still hate it

Reactions: Dutchman2016

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That’s why I don’t ever describe myself as ‘reversed’. I prefer the term ‘remission’ as it implies a temporary state. I’ll stay in remission so long as I don’t return to what you describe as ‘normal eating’.

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I prefer to not use the word "reversed" for this reason myself because to some people it implies a permanent cure, which it is not. If you back to eating high carb foods, your numbers will rise again. For this reason I tend to use "in remission" (although it is quite medical sounding) or "well controlled".

We need to eat the healthiest way for our bodies and metabolisms.

BTW, I agree with above posters. It is a healthier way of eating, not just for Type 2 diabetics and prediabetes. Much of the population is insulin resistant now and would be benefit from it. It has benefits beyond lower blood glucose levels.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hate this. I’m not cheating in any way and I do have the will power, but I still hate it
Its early days.. you'll get the hang of it and eating out is pretty simple once you know what to do. Most of us find we feel so much better eating low carb so why not get your partner to try it with you? Might be to his benefit as well?

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The reversal is the high blood glucose, and damage done by it.
Humans never evolved to eat cake, the introduction of all the sugars and starches the supermarkets find so profitable are not how our metabolisms learned to work.
Is this why the foods I eat now (raw veggies, meats, salads) taste so delicious to me now? I was diagnosed/started LCHF this past July and it's kind of interesting how quickly I've started to enjoy/crave this kind of food.

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I'd find it difficult if I was baking non low carb for my husband every week. Could you ask him to supply his own baking or do it himself or only eat them outside the house or bake less frequently? How about trying some low carb baking? I've tried low carb baking recipes that have been successful with family members who aren't low carb or diabetic. A friend of mine does a lot of it - not so much for herself because she only eats them occasionally but for other family members who aren't diabetic or low carb (she's always baked a lot for family). I've also brought low carb foods (including desserts) to family celebrations so I don't feel deprived (others have also enjoyed them). If baking is a big part of your family life, this might help.

When I started eating low carb, my husband also chose to eat low carb about 80% of the time to get healthier himself (he lost 15 lbs without trying, went from overweight to normal weight without trying.) He does have a few high carb foods in the house (bread, cereal that he occasionally eats) but these items don't bother me. I did ask him to not to bring in the house or eat the following trigger foods in front of me - potato chips, home fries, samosas and Indian sweets because I know how difficult I'd find it being exposed to them often.

I hope some of this helps.

Reactions: neithskye

Jillyfl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Swimming
Its early days.. you'll get the hang of it and eating out is pretty simple once you know what to do. Most of us find we feel so much better eating low carb so why not get your partner to try it with you? Might be to his benefit as well?
He does eat low carb because I cook from diet doctor menus and he does enjoy the food. He eats normal stuff too like cake haha and bran flakes for breakfast and a side portion of potatoes or chips

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Anyone can eat any way they want. However, almost nobody can eat an unhealthy diet without it impacting their health...eventually. Even though the majority of people don't get type 2 diabetes on the standard (unhealthy, sugar laden, refined wheat,ultraprocessed) western diet, they shouldn't kid themselves that they won't experience other health issues from eating that way.

Jillyfl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Swimming
Personally I'd find it difficult if I was baking non low carb for my husband every week. Could you ask him to supply his own baking or do it himself or only eat them outside the house or bake less frequently? How about trying some low carb baking? I've tried low carb baking recipes that have been successful with family members who aren't low carb or diabetic. A friend of mine does a lot of it - not so much for herself because she only eats them occasionally but for other family members who aren't diabetic or low carb (she's always baked a lot for family). I've also brought low carb foods (including desserts) to family celebrations so I don't feel deprived (others have also enjoyed them). If baking is a big part of your family life, this might help.

When I started eating low carb, my husband also chose to eat low carb about 80% of the time to get healthier himself (he lost 15 lbs without trying, went from overweight to normal weight without trying.) He does have a few high carb foods in the house (bread, cereal that he occasionally eats) but these items don't bother me. I did ask him to not to bring in the house or eat the following trigger foods in front of me - potato chips, home fries, samosas and Indian sweets because I know how difficult I'd find it being exposed to them often.

I hope some of this helps.
Thank you. Yes baking has always been a big part if my life and cooking too. My husband eats the same low carb meal as me but sometimes has a side order of potatoes or chips

Reactions: Chronicle_Cat

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
He does eat low carb because I cook from diet doctor menus and he does enjoy the food. He eats normal stuff too like cake haha and bran flakes for breakfast and a side portion of potatoes or chips
Well, he can't be eating low carb if he's eating cake, bran flakes, potatoes and chips!!