Revoked driving licence

karenw

Hi,have just registered but really need your help please.

My husband went onto insulin about two months ago so we informed DVLA straight away to which we received forms filled them in and sent them off, Terry has had laser treatment that was perfomed to DVLA regulations three years ago which stopped the bleeding into the eyes and staberlised everything and to which he has check up every six months. We were told at the time that if there was no imporvement or stability then any more laser work would mean the loss of his licence. Terry drives for a living and is only 47 and has now been told his driving licence has been revoked due to not meeting the visual field test. On receiving this information we went directly to the opticians who performed the field test who said in his opinion Terry passed the standards needed for DVLA,he is willing to write a letter but said if we could get one from his consultant then it would be of greater advantage. So (bearing in mind we are now running around like headless chickens)we went up to Windsor eye clinic and saw Terrys consultant who did a new field test and wrote a letter saying in his opinion Terry meets DVLA standards. They sent an email directly to the lady who seems to have the say so at DVLA and have also sent the new field test and letter by post.

She had put a paragraph on the letter we received that said if we could find medical evidence that could help then sometimes things can be resolved.................this is what gives us hope?

What upsets me most is the fact that I looked directly into the faces of both medical experts and they both said Terry is safe to drive. If I had asked the question and was told well there is worry over his ability then that would have been the end of it and there would be no argument,Terry would stop driving and LIFE HAS TO CHANGE.....................

We have been in a state of shock and I am only just starting to think straight.

His boss is going to keep his job open as long as possible(he needs a driver..........Terry is a driver not allowed to drive!).............but really it is not fair on anyone!Terry has not only got diabetes but got diagnosed with melanoma cancer two years ago to which we had to wait two days to find out whether it had spread..............IT HADNT:)...............if it had he wouldnt be here now................he had an operation that has left him with a scare down the right side of his neck finishing under his chin...............we call it his life line:)..............regular checks since and it hasnt come back:)...........................Terrry has worked(drove) for 23 years..............never claimed off the state and...............dare I say.................never been involved in an accident. He owns a 1300 motorbike(his pride and joy)................passed to the highest standard,drives a transit van for a living and we have our car.

I can assure you all that if we had any doubt over Terrys driving ability then driving our two young grandchildren round would be out of the question................our most precious cargo!

I know this is a waiting game at the moment but would value your opinions?................X

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Remain positive.

Consultants letters do go a long way to support drivers.

I wouldn't like to comment what will happen, but the DVLA listened to my consultant regarding an incident I had (not eye related).

I know how worrying this is for you both, and how much hell to be honest that you will be going through until you hear back from DVLA....

It is good that you have got support from people that matter towards keeping the licence, however it can take a while for dvla to get to letters, reports etc...(I was a pain in the A**e) to them, as I was so impatient and it took the full 90 days to hear back from them as to what would happen.

karenw

Thank you:)......................

At least I have not cried today for the first time since we heard(which happened to be last Wednesay MY FLAMING BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)................as you can probably make out from the letter it is Terry who is the stong one and I am just weak!!!!!!!!..................NO really I know we must stay positive and I know I need to be strong for him...............

Thanks again:)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I know how it feels believe me....the majority of persons here gave me huge support through my difficulty last year.

Don't worry if people make comments about laser treatment and driving and safety etc in response to your question...if the Consultants (the people that matter) are willing to back you up, then there is a chance......it's not against anybody making extra comments, but I know how badly some comments can hurt when in this situation...

I also know about crying over this ordeal....I do sympathise, it is good that your partner is strong. However, I also know that men can be less emotive than women, and less likely to show their true emotions like us women do....I was the emotive female facing the DVLA, and I can honestly tell you it was the worst time in my life...I dreaded the post each morning, and was scared stiff of opening up the letter when it did finally arrive. I felt the envelope, and decided that as it was a thin one, it couldn't have any appeal literature in it-so it must be a good letter...but I was a nervous wreck....

It is good that you have done everything possible to fight the decsion, but I am so sorry that it will now be a waiting game.....it may be worth while phoing DVLA and just checking in with them that they have received all the reports, and where you are in the pile (they had a large backlog when I had my troubles)....

djjenko

Hi,
I know how many people feel, have read and entered a few posts on this subject getting licence revoked, i myself has had my licence revoked, i lost my licence back in 2003 but NEVER will a accept the DVLA decision. I had laser treatment as i had a bleed in my eyes but had to have my right eye removed fue to glucomia but since the operations 8 years ago i have struggled to regain my licence back.I hav become finacially ruined but i understand all the laws and the standards but if you can see and able to read number plate at 20.5 m then you should retain yr licence.If the DVLA Are determined to revoke licences to diabetics at a drop of a hat then i say this why on earth do DVLA accept a application for provissional licence in the first place, if this is the case, we diabetics may have the terrible illness but we didn,t ask for diabetes, in the states they are actually helping people with sight problems retain their licences.I WILL NEVER Give up on getting my licence back i will fight for my cause and others.
All the dvla go by is what is written down in documents.Tell you why dont DVLA revoke all disabled peoples rights and be done with, even the Govermernt are saying now that a disabled person should work for less than the min wage, all this is mad don,t we have RIGHTS as humans.My sister was killed in a road traffic accident but i do agree if you cant see then you shouldn,t be driving but if you can see i believe a new type of testing needs to be inplace not a stupid machine that you look for dots as everyone can miss them silly lights, hows about a driving assesment, (On a Track) you,ve heard the visual challange where a totally blind person drove a vehicle with pc tech and passed with flying colours.I also understand the views about lowering deaths on the road but accidents do happen but not are all to do with diabetes.
It will not be long before vehicles will be driving themselves, then what will the goverment DVLA come up with then to bar diabetic drivers.Sorry we sre revoking yr rights to drive as you need to pass I.T test etc.
For all the peeps on here who have lost their licence and passed their test and do not agree to the goverments rulling write to yr mps.whichever way you look at it we have passed our driving test.
It really agers me, if you are not in this situation how can you comment, until it really happens to you.Driving for someon is not just for leisure but its there livelyhood.Not all towns and villages have public transport so these people become issolated. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: As stated the AMERICAN GOVERMENT in some states go that little further and are helping americans to keep their licences so why cant our goverment do the same as it seems we follow other countries ie The EU and America.I agree there must be laws but the driving laws must be changed for fairness to all.Give us the chance.I drove for many years with one eye and travelled all over the world with no incedents but yes accidents do happen but it aint always the person with medical conditions fault.Many thanks, i will also be writing to my MP.and keep on writing and writing.GIVE US THE RIGHTS ASHUMAN BEINGS.

Leeds Lass

Hi Karen

Did you see a copy of the test? What sort of score did he get? I know it's an instant fail if there are any dots in the 20 degree area.

LL x

jopar

I've lucky enough that I haven't got any sight problem or had to have treatment, I only wear glasses driving becuase I'm border line so not legally required, but I benefit at night though..

When it comes to vision, it's not about whether we can or can't read a number plate at 20.5m, but whether our peripheral vision is able to see the hazards either side of us as we drive this is probably more important than whether you can see the number plate!

My friend has tunnel vision so can read a number plate at the regertory 20.5m but can't see ****** all on other side, so wouldn't see a car pulling out from the side, nor would she see on coming traffic after a certain point, yes she was gutted when she had to give her driving up before she got to this stage may I add, but perfectably understood the reasons..

It's never nice to have your licence revolked due to a medical condition, be it eyes or another condition that isn't their fault..

karenw

Today Terry got his licence REINSTATED.....................what I will say is,YES this has been the most awful seven weeks imaginable with me working up to sixteen hours a day to keep his job(including doing my own!!!!!!!) as long as possible(which was verging on the impossible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)......................We have filled three lots of forms in and had full medical support,........................ YES instead of NO has been the result.......................Please dont give up hope...............It has changed our lives as in realising you can never take things for granted...................the relief is overwhelming,I thank everyone for their support and belief,it has restored my faith in human nature.................................X

squishychickfi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
curry or anything spicy, snakes and mosquitos!
only just seen your thread - but see that there is good news for you - great to hear that DVLA have sorted it for you - well done for keeping up hope!

Margi

I'm so glad it worked out well.

Some years ago with one of my routine three year checks, the DVLA sent me back a letter refusing renewal because, they said, I didn't test my BS at least twice a day!! Well, that wasn't true so I rang them and asked where on earth they got that information from. I don't remember their answer but it turned out they had mixed up my paperwork with someone else's. They said I could keep driving while they sorted it out, and I asked them to send me something in writing to confirm that. I don't remember if they did that either, but I remember calling them a number of times for confirmation and I think I contented myself with the fact that the phone calls were recorded. I got my licence back after a few weeks, but the important thing was that they said I could drive whilst waiting.

I know it different with eyesight, but it is just possible that the information the DVLA got for your husband was incorrect. I know it's in the past now and all resolved, but it's just a thought. Happy driving. :D

JohnoHynes

I too had my licence revoked due to failing the Esterman visual fields test, but after almost two years there is now a happy ending to my story. I have written about this in another thread on this forum:

www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewt ... 3&start=75

In a nutshell, I lost my licence in October 2009. I was allowed to submit a second test, but this too didn't meet the standards. I had told the DVLA that I found it hard to concentrate on the Esteman tests and requested they send me for a manually operated test - the Goldman Perimeter test. I had read that I could ask for this, but they ignored this request.

Last year I read on the DVLA website the draft minutes of the visual disorders panel where it was mentioned that the DVLA were doing a pilot study to see if people with stabilised retinopathy could get their licences back under the "exceptional cases" rules. In December 2010 I wrote to the DVLA asking for more details of this study. They eventually replied at the end of February this year and all they said was that "yes, there had been a study", but the also had decided to review my case and that they would send me, in the first instance, for a Goldman Perimeter test.

I sent back the forms they sent me immediately and at the end of May they managed to get around to replying to me telling me to make an appointment at the hospital for this test. I took the test on 21st June. For me it was a much better experience than the Esterman test. I then waited again!

Earlier this week, on the 30th August, I telephoned them to see if there was any progress on my case. I was very surprised when he said that my licence had been sent out that day. I had heard nothing from them! Apparently they had written to me on 26th, but I hadn't received that letter. You can imagine I was extremely happy with this news. Two days later a letter arrived from the DVLA, but it wasn't the letter telling me I was getting my licence back, it was my licence. Had I not phoned up on the Tuesday, this would have come as a complete surprise! As I write this, I still haven't had the letter telling me I am getting it back.

All I am waiting for now is for the garage to do some repairs to my car so it passes its MOT - fortunately I don't have to wait for the DVLA to do that.

John

karenw

John,that is WONDERFUL news.....................congratulations:).................................

I KNOW how you are feeling and I am so happy the discision was reversed. You sound like an extreamly stong person and I applaud you for "hanging in there".................for us seven weeks was life changing(still is actually,changed outlook on life forever)................but if one positive thing has come from our experience is you just cant take things in life for granted.............so it does make you appreciate EVERYTHING more!...........................wishing you long,happy and safe motoring for the funture,all the best,Karen:)

biggurs

I know this is an old thread and John has his licence back. Well done and congratulations.
As an optometrist of some 15+ yrs experience, I can say that visual field examination is what we class as a purely subjective test. It relies completely on the patients actions, physical and mental state.
If you have a bad neck, postural problems, concentration problems, even a little itch in the privates department!! will and can affect the results of a field test.
An estermann filed test is is performed with both eyes simultaneously.
When ever a field test is performed for whatever reason, when we find a defect and refer that patient to see an eye consultant, they're not very impressed if we dont repeat that test and even re-repeat it another day rather than relying on just the results of one field test.

So in my opinion if there are any defects on the estermann test then a repeat of that test another day to confirm any problems should be done but the DVLA dont mention anything like that on the forms.

And yes, there is a manual field test known as a Goldmann field test which is only performed at Hospital Eye Departments which again, in my opinion should be performed if there is any doubt on the estermann test.

If both the optometrist and the ophthalmologist agree that there is no reason NOT to drive then who are the DVLA to have any more knowledge than an optometrist and ophthalmologist when it comes to field tests.

To establish whether there is indeed a field defect, we, as optometrists and ophthalmologists need to repeat that test for consistency.
Shouldn't that rule also apply to Estermann field test? YES but the DVLA dont mention any of this on their forms.

What I'm trying to say is if any of you good people have to undergo an estermann test and its a problem, ask to repeat it.
Say you wasnt feeling very well, you had a bad back, itchy private parts AGAIN!! (sorry but gotta have a larf!) anything that can indicate possible unreliable results- at least you can repeat it because a field test really needs to be repeated.
Ask for a Goldmann test (the manual one)

(these are my own opinions and not necessarily the official opinion of optometrists)

iklpixi

Hi biggurs,
I see it was January you posted this last message but i'm wondering if i can pick your brain given your experience as an optometrist.

I'm worried sick at the moment as i'm in the process of renewing my license and this is the first time since receiving laser treatment for retinopathy. As in common with many DVLA have been processing this for weeks and weeks now & just received my 3rd lot of paperwork the other day asking me to make an appt to go for a visual field test. Luckily i managed to get a cancellation appt and had that done yesterday. It was the Estermann test but i had 4 misses out of the possible 120. Do you have ANY idea if this will be accepted by DVLA?? I'm terrified they revoke my license and the optometrist was lovely but couldn't say either way, she says she just never knows what they accept!

I think the whole process is shocking, not only to DVLA get away with extreme waiting times & will ONLY deal with you by post (more expensive - both cost of postage and cost to the planet) but should they not be offering you support to stay driving instead of having us all living in extreme fear of having our license' revoked!!!! Terrible state of affairs :cry:

JohnoHynes

Hi ikipixi

I've only just read your post, have you had your results yet from the DVLA?

As far as I understand the rules on the Esterman test, providing that there are not three consecutive misses in the central area, you should be fine. I had a lot more than four misses on my tests. Did you get a copy of the results?

I hope all has gone well with you.

John