RH causes

Sarabeth23

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Does anyone look further to what is causing their blood sugar to drop? Like adrenals, gut, deficiencies, hormones and more? Was just curious.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe it is high circulating insulin - too much of it, causing the crash after eating.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The reason for Hypoglycaemia is often too many to quote.
For reactive hypoglycaemia, it is the imbalance in hormones particularly insulin, though, the difference between gender is just as important. Hormonal imbalances may not be only insulin.
Usually, Late Reactive Hypoglycaemia is because of a weak initial insulin response, followed by an overshoot secondary response.
But I have seen many posts from hypoglycaemic people have diverse response to certain foods.
In my quest to understand the relationship between food and how the body reacts, the gut brain trigger or axis, is the signal for how the brain works on digestion.
The symptoms are the response to how these signals affect the brain, hormones that are required for the brain function, can and do give different symptoms, such as hunger, cravings, anxiety, dizziness, mood swings, forgetting and so on.

In the end, you have to find your own balance of protein, fats and carbs (usually very low, because of the insulin response)to prevent the overshoot of insulin.

It is a dietary condition, the reason why most doctors struggle is because they have not had the training in endocrine Hypoglycaemia. The misunderstanding of needing glucose for brain function, usually means that we need to eat carbs, we don't!
We need to eat food that is healthy for our bodies.
I have found that avoiding these foods that makes me ill and trigger symptoms, makes me healthy!

Sarabeth23

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I know it's rare to find a cause. I was told RH is a symptom to another health issue. I want to say mines between hormone imbalance or unhealthy gut. I've heard of people finding their cause and healing it and had no RH problems anymore. Wishful thinking I guess.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I know it's rare to find a cause. I was told RH is a symptom to another health issue. I want to say mines between hormone imbalance or unhealthy gut. I've heard of people finding their cause and healing it and had no RH problems anymore. Wishful thinking I guess.

The condition used to be called idiopathic meaning, unknown! But that was because they couldn't understand why, but as more endocrinologists have found more patients, the understanding has grown. They are aware of how to diagnose by using tests to eliminate other conditions.
Mine I believe was the reverse. After discussing with my endocrinologist, he has no other explanation of why my pancreas behaves as it does, or how my intolerance can be explained.
I was diagnosed with Heliocobacter Pylori, over twelve years ago, due to having suspected stomach ulcers. I was given, the antibiotics to eliminate the bacterium.
It worked., I have not had any symptoms since, but the change in gut bacteria, my endocrinologist believes, changed my gut brain axis. Changed my glucose, glucagon, glycogen make up of my alpha and beta cells, which changed my initial insulin response. It became weak. The glucose spike, initiating a secondary insulin response (overshoot). The excess insulin produced, overwhelms the glucose, which makes me go hypo.
Because over time, the excess insulin, produces insulin resistance, that initiates higher blood glucose levels and all the horrible symptoms of fluctuations in blood glucose levels. Like a yo yo, up and down. This can and will make you ill, because you are unaware of what is happening, this progression can lead to the extremes of high glucose levels and very low hypos! A risk to health and of course worse!

I have complete control of the condition by avoiding certain foods that I am intolerant to. If that is in remission, then you can call it what you want, but I know if I don't consider the reactive part of this condition, I will start going hyper, then hypo.
I'm not taking that risk.
I had a few years of misdiagnosis and unaware of that period, which I call my hypo hell! I ain't gonna go back to that, no way!
I am really fit and healthy for someone of my age.
I want to stick around to see my great grandkids!

I believe that if you don't have that control or have the knowledge that makes you understand what is happening, then the condition could escalate into type two diabetes, and everything that follows. There is members who have type two and RH!
The RH doesn't go away.
According to what I have read, there is no cure.

Best wishes

Reactions: 62Rose