1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Riding The Emotional Roller Coaster!

Discussion in 'Emotional and Mental Health' started by magicmoose, Dec 31, 2018.

1. T2#Me

T2#Me · Well-Known Member

Thanks very much ... never heard of that before ... it's amazing ... :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. rolypolypudding

rolypolypudding Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

3. rolypolypudding

I'm sorry to hear you are struggling. I suffer from similar conditions as you and have done for many years, so I've long since given up hope of a cure and just seek to exercise damage limitation.
    It's a good idea to take up a new interest, but beware of taking on too much. The volunteering should be something that you feel you would enjoy, not something undertaken as a duty.
    I recently joined a community choir and have found that helpful as a way of meeting new people and just having fun. I haven't managed to lose weight yet though, and I badly need to as I'm seriously overweight.
    However, no point in beating ourselves over the head, it only makes us feel worse.
    I do hope though that you will manage to control your suicidal thoughts. Your life does matter, just as much as anyone else's. You have taken on an extremely worthwhile role as a carer which I know is grossly undervalued by the government - but however willingly you have taken it on, it must be tiring and stressful at times.
    I've found Samaritans very helpful when in a similar frame of mind as you are now, also you might want to try elefriends. This is an online discussion forum a bit like this one, only for people with mental health issues. It is run by the national mental health charity, MIND. It is carefully moderated so no danger of receiving any abusive responses.
    I'm planning to set just a modest goal for 2019, as previously I have been too ambitious and that makes me feel worse when I fail. So I've decided to try and get a grip on my love affair with chocolate and all sweet things. I'll see where that takes me.
    So please please please don't give up, and continue to post on this website so we can offer you support. .

• Like Like x 1
  4. The Mouse

The Mouse Type 1 · Member

Are you a registered carer? Because there are carers assocciations in most areas, they can help you and the person you care for, bring you in contact with others in the same situation and help you to cope with caring, which can be very hard at times. This would certainly reduce your loneliness, thereby giving you back the incentive to do what is neccessary to get wour own health back in order. Have a look on your county and district sites fore carer support.

• Like Like x 1
  5. magicmoose

magicmoose Type 2 · Active Member

I did once have an assessment by social services for being a carer. They were referring me to the support group but I never heard anything. I've been a carer since I was a teenager, so it's always been part of my life.

6. magicmoose

magicmoose Type 2 · Active Member

Thanks. I've never tried the Samaritans. I have used a local charity support line which has been helpful when things have been bad. I do think voluntary work would be good for me. A chance to meet new people and to do something for me. More often than not boredom sees me turn to food which then makes me feel miserable!

7. rolypolypudding

Yes, I turn to food when bored, also when under stress. I get a craze on specific brand/types of food [usually chocolate, cake and/or biscuits] which can go on for weeks or even months before I tire of it and move on to something else.
    I think keeping busy and away from easy food fixes is probably the best thing. Hopefully voluntary work will help.
    I'm going to try yoga. I feel a bit self-conscious going to class the way I look at the moment but I've decided to grasp the nettle in the hope it will help with my stress management.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook