Right Diagnosis? Type 1 or Type 2?

BenjiB1992

Hi All,

Im completely new to this and am worried I may have been wrongly diagnosed, thought id ask the people who know the condition the best.

I am currently in the process of being diagnosed with type 2 and have been started on Metformin. I worry with the symptoms I have and how quickly they have developed that i may be type 1, i know im most likely being paranoid but im a little worried about it. I feel horrible every day and its getting worse over the past 2 weeks.

Symptoms - weight loss, thirst, urination (much more overnight) dark patches of skin in armpits, nausea, blurry vision at times, penile thrush, very dry mouth, sweats.

I have been dipping my urine and is showing alot of glucose, trace ketones, proteins.

Thanks for your help

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What tests have you had? What results? What time periods are you talking about symptoms suddenly appearing in? What’s your weight doing? What’s your current diet like?

All the symptoms you list could be either type. They are symptoms of high blood sugar rather than the cause of them.

BenjiB1992

What tests have you had? What results? What time periods are you talking about symptoms suddenly appearing in? What’s your weight doing? What’s your current diet like?

All the symptoms you list could be either type. They are symptoms of high blood sugar rather than the cause of them.

Hi, I have had urine dip ( High glucose, trace ketones, and proteins) BP raised 168/126, HbA1c unsure what the numbers were and a blood glucose test unsure of number - another set were taken yesterday and awaiting results. All these symptoms over past 2 weeks, not sure of exact weight loss however clothes noticeably looser / baggy

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I have had urine dip ( High glucose, trace ketones, and proteins) BP raised 168/126, HbA1c unsure what the numbers were and a blood glucose test unsure of number - another set were taken yesterday and awaiting results. All these symptoms over past 2 weeks, not sure of exact weight loss however clothes noticeably looser / baggy
It’s important that you know the hb1ac and blood glucose (fasting or not?) so you know where you’re starting from and are able to understand changes. Ask the surgery what the numbers were. You might be able to get them from online access (have to design up to this) or the receptionist can organise it. Dont accept “normal” or high”. Get numbers and the units it was measured in.

Do you know what yesterday’s test was? Antibodies? GAD? cpeptide? These would all indicate checking for type 1. Phone your practice and ask for these details. It might reassure you that they are being thorough. Did they mention checking for type 1? Can you go back and ask all your questions once you’ve gathered your thoughts?

At your age type 2 is less common than when older but certainly can occur in younger people. Type 1 can happen at any age.

The dip is more a screening test usually.

No symptoms at all before then? No signs that health maybe wasn’t at it’s best? Noticeable weight loss recently for no other known reason? Did you have the weight to lose in the first place?

Not trying to alarm you further as the answers to the above may make a difference but I’d want to have a few more facts than you currently have. Whatever the outcome it is manageable and there is a lot of support for both types in here from people thriving regardless of diagnosis, and sometimes because of it. There’s also people that have been through struggles and identify and help with concerns and issues along the way. So stick with us and you’ll be ok ....

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m assuming you don’t have a blood glucose meter as you mention urine dips. How do you feel about getting one and monitoring your bgl? That’ll help you know where you’re at and what actions to take as a result. If you are type 2 then it’ll be invaluable teaching you how you react to different foods as diet is the way we control it best (sometimes with the help of medications). If you’re type 1 you’ll get given one anyway but in the meantime it’ll let you know if you get up to worrisome numbers.
Nb I’m assuming you are in the U.K. here so let us know it that’s incorrect.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome @BenjiB1992

Have you discussed all these symptoms with your team ? and was a type 1 diagnosis discussed ?

Some good suggestions already mentioned. It's important to keep in touch with your team regarding your diagnosis and any ongoing symptoms you are experiencing as @HSSS has indicated they well need to do a GAD Antibodies/ C Peptide test to check for the antibodies present in a type 1 diagnosis as well as your HbA1c. As you are already aware type 1 is sudden onset however in adults you can be generally feeling unwell for a long time. Symptoms include weight loss, urination, thrush, dry skin, pear breath which indicates ketones, tiredness and fatigue, poor vision.

Although we can help provide information and support here we cannot diagnose you here so any concerns you have need to be raised with your team and in particular any ongoing symptoms also need to be reviewed with them too.